09-21-2016, 11:58 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I had to replace the thermostats and elements in my hot water heater. In the course of this, the yellow insulation that is in the cover panel got soaked, and I pulled it.
But it does not look like standard home insulation.
Has anyone got any plumbing/electrical experience? Can I replace with R19 pink, or is there a risk of fire/is the insulation a different spec? It has the plastic cover that goes over the electrical hookup to the thermostat and element, just making sure that standard insulation is fine here.
Thanks.

2 1,683
 09-21-2016, 12:19 PM
User Info
(09-21-2016, 11:58 AM)SRNewb Wrote: I had to replace the thermostats and elements in my hot water heater. In the course of this, the yellow insulation that is in the cover panel got soaked, and I pulled it.
Has anyone got any plumbing/electrical experience? Can I replace with R19 pink, or is there a risk of fire/is the insulation a different spec? It has the plastic cover that goes over the electrical hookup to the thermostat and element, just making sure that standard insulation is fine here.
Thanks.

You can try contacting a plumbing Co or HD plumbing, but electric water heaters usually don't get that hot to cause fire. It's to keep the heat from escaping to a cold damp basement. Pink or yellow, it's still fiberglass: they use ridged FG affixed in certain areas to keep it from falling off. Just don't use it with the Kraft face (paper on insulation). I hope this helps

0 596
 09-21-2016, 12:31 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(09-21-2016, 12:19 PM)GreeneMD Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 11:58 AM)SRNewb Wrote: I had to replace the thermostats and elements in my hot water heater. In the course of this, the yellow insulation that is in the cover panel got soaked, and I pulled it.
Thanks.

You can try contacting a plumbing Co or HD plumbing, but electric water heaters usually don't get that hot to cause fire. It's to keep the heat from escaping to a cold damp basement. Pink or yellow, it's still fiberglass: they use ridged FG affixed in certain areas to keep it from falling off. Just don't use it with the Kraft face (paper on insulation). I hope this helps

Thanks, yes it does. I assume I can pull the craft paper off and face the unpapered side to the thermostat. Much appreciated.

2 1,683
 09-21-2016, 12:36 PM
User Info
No worries.  Cool

0 596
 09-21-2016, 01:13 PM
User Info
As stated it's for heat loss so if you are concerned about that you can get this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-48.../202710039

6 1,253
 09-21-2016, 01:19 PM
User Info
What follows is for an electrical water heater only.

I would have left it in place but it's too late now. Mold doesn't grow on glass. so getting it wet would have had no consequence. Mold only grows on organics.

Any glass insulation is of the same composition as what you removed as long as it only has glass, as the MD wrote. Glass is non-reactive, non-conductive, doesn't promote mold in any form as long as it's clean. You could also go to Home Depot and pick up an insulation kit. Call first to make sure yours has them but I bet that they do. Since yours no longer has insulation you might be able to use 2 or 3 kits for better insulation. Or you could just wrap it with the pink stuff and no kit. The thicker the insulation the better. Be sure to indicate where things are located under the insulation for future access.

My only concern is that you didn't state what the heat source was. If it's gas or something other you're on your own. It won't burn, but it might need space for air flow and draft. You don't want to wake up dead from CO.

Edit: I see Panther beat me to it. :-)

32 6,445
 09-21-2016, 01:47 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I removed it because water and electrical connections don't mix well. Was not going to push a soaking wet piece of fiberglass or anything else up against the electrical wire connections to my thermostat and element.
It's a Bradford White electric water heater.
I went ahead and installed the pink stuff. Everything is finished and closed up, and I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.
Thanks, all of you.

2 1,683
 09-21-2016, 08:21 PM
User Info
Mike, great to hear things are well! Shy

82 21,056
 09-25-2016, 08:37 AM
User Info
well done Mike.  water heaters are often trouble and the public just ignores them.  now they get wrapped, strapped, elevated and ventilated.  get more attention than my wife

73 1,260
 09-25-2016, 08:57 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Celestino, Dave, thanks.
LOL, Dave!

2 1,683
 09-25-2016, 10:28 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Good job as measured by "still posting so assuming house did not burn or flood."   Bradford is a good brand.

4 298
 09-25-2016, 04:33 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(09-25-2016, 10:28 AM)SCOV Wrote: Good job as measured by "still posting so assuming house did not burn or flood."   Bradford is a good brand.

Yep, I'll take that and be happy. Smile

2 1,683