09-22-2016, 01:38 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've stumbled into a new hustle other members need to be aware of. I've noticed a few soaps, MWF and PdP in particular with free shipping and always a few cents below BULLGOOSE. If you look, one guy is in israel. O.K. such a deal: how? I bought an unrelated item at a great price with free shipping. Only upon checkout with PAYPAL was I hit with CA sales tax, and oh, my seller is in israel.The package arrives from KENTUCKY via AMAZON. So some schmuck made a few sheckels after I was refused a refund. I left negative feedback, which on EBAY means about as much as telling a mid level executive the personal information about a brush scalper.

2 3,171
 09-22-2016, 04:43 PM
User Info
good to know...someone from israel was selling arko n the tub and stick for a crazy price with free shipping.  luckily I wasn't quick enough to get it. kinda glad I didn't now.  ty for the heads up.

41 123
 09-22-2016, 05:26 PM
User Info
It's been in the news before with more than just shaving items. Buyers receiving drop shipment from Amazon that they could have just ordered from themselves.

Risky business to make little money. I read a story of a guy who noticed a lot of his Amazon orders going to one buyer for many different delivery addresses. So he found the eBay listing, clicked on Buy it Now for a half a dozen of whatever the items were, that only he had any of, and then doubled his own prices on his Amazon listing. The eBay loon had to pay up or cancel the sales.

Hahaha.

I'll see if I can find the website I and link it here for you to read.

10 1,460
 09-22-2016, 05:35 PM
User Info
I'll never find the exact article I mentioned.

There's so many results about this very common practice it seems.

https://www.google.com/#q=amazon+to+ebay+arbitrage

10 1,460
 09-22-2016, 05:52 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I just bought a Palestinian made keffira and PMed the Meshugenuh with the link. Thankyou for the illumination. I usually haunt EBAY for vintage items. lesson learned.

2 3,171
 09-22-2016, 05:57 PM
User Info
Quote:One of those people, Eric Wildermuth, who sells a line of children’s hats called Snuggleheads, came up with a particularly sneaky punishment: He bought his own hat from an eBay arbitrager for $27 -- and then, before the arbitrager could go to Amazon and make the purchase, Wildermuth changed his Amazon listing price to $199. Result: The arbitrager could either lose $172 on the sale or cancel the purchase, which would damage the arbitrager’s eBay ranking. Wildermuth repeated this about 10 times. “I got these frantic calls [from the arbitrager]. He said, ‘Please don’t do this,’” says Wildermuth. “He knew what I was doing. And I let out a string of expletives.”

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/278622

10 1,460
 09-23-2016, 03:28 AM
User Info
Maybe I'm too dumb to get it, but I can't see what the problem is.

0 163
 09-23-2016, 04:30 AM
User Info
I had that happen to me once as a buyer. Bought a Wall-E Lego set for my wife (she loves that movie) ordered it from eBay and 4 days later received a box from Walmart and inside was my eBay order W/a Walmart receipt.. I was a little confused but the price was still cheaper then Walmart or Amazon or any other retailer.

2 102
 09-23-2016, 05:36 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Cegadade I want to buy a Gillette Superspeed from you. We believe we are following the forum rules. You get your money, I get the razor and another forum member unknown to us gets $5 for secretly conducting the sale without us knowing. You're out $5 and I paid it for what?

2 3,171
 09-23-2016, 05:41 AM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
Wow, this is all so new to me. Never knew there was this model of business. Bakerbarber, thanks for the article link - it was very interesting to read.

83 561
 09-23-2016, 05:51 AM
User Info
(09-23-2016, 05:41 AM)slr31 Wrote: Wow, this is all so new to me. Never knew there was this model of business. Bakerbarber, thanks for the article link - it was very interesting to read.

Thank Kav.

I too found the practice fascinating. Only came across it in passing before and after reading the real life troubles that it causes legitimate sellers I have to say it's distasteful to me.

I take for granted that I am willing to browse around before giving my dollars to any retailer in matters large and small. Surprisng the volume required to make such a scheme lucrative implies that I am not in the majority. I take much more into account than the lowest absolute price, but it seems that many other people do not. 

I gladly pay a fraction more and support a good business whenever I can rather than engaging in forcing the deterioration of quality and value that only dedicated customer service oriented businesses provide.

10 1,460
 09-23-2016, 06:00 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Which is why I patronise BULLGOOSE and BULLGOOSE only. My money goes to a friend, the patron of this very forum and back into my state economy. I've been accused in PMs of being a shill for this and my constant harping on the issue. When Jeff Bezos and Slobovon in Sophia  fullfill these 3 criteria we can talk.

2 3,171
 09-23-2016, 07:27 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(09-22-2016, 05:52 PM)kav Wrote: I just bought a Palestinian made keffira and PMed the Meshugenuh with the link. Thankyou for the illumination. I usually haunt EBAY for vintage items. lesson learned.

I think the word you want is "goniff". Whoever deals with him is a "Mishugenah"

70 1,098
 09-23-2016, 07:54 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My grand aunt Yola lived in Fairfax L.A. and gave up teaching me yiddish but taught me kosher, which led to  a job years later in a summer camp. She did pass on a teaching of Maimonides " when two meet a third should prosper". I had let slip goniff from my ready memory. He isn't the third person but I think a few members now are.

2 3,171
 09-23-2016, 09:19 AM
User Info
(09-23-2016, 05:36 AM)kav Wrote: Cegadade I want to buy a Gillette Superspeed from you. We believe we are following the forum rules. You get your money, I get the razor and another forum member unknown to us gets $5 for secretly conducting the sale without us knowing. You're out $5 and I paid it for what?

I'm not out of $5. I got what I was asking. And you? You paid what you though was a just price. Could you get it cheaper if you had done just a minimum amount of research? Yes. Did you bother? No.

I still can't get what the problem is. Maybe I'm too dense.

0 163
 09-23-2016, 09:27 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I think so

2 3,171
 09-23-2016, 09:35 AM
User Info
I think part of the issue is that someone else is profiting from a persons work... if we have a problem or not with that comes down to our ethics and morals, and as we all know YMMV Wink

3 4,682
 09-23-2016, 10:00 AM
User Info
To me it looks just like what a real estate agent does for a living (or what many used car salesman also do)

0 163
 09-23-2016, 10:03 AM
User Info
(09-23-2016, 09:35 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I think part of the issue is that someone else is profiting from a persons work... if we have a problem or not with that comes down to our ethics and morals, and as we all know YMMV Wink
Isn't that (profiting from a person's work) what all sales people do? They buy other people's products and sell for profit. How does any of it change if they just buy it after you committed to buy from them?

0 163
 09-23-2016, 10:03 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-23-2016, 10:00 AM)cegadede Wrote: To me it looks just like what a real estate agent does for a living (or what many used car salesman also do)

Not exactly. When you are doing a real estate transaction, you know the agent does not own the property and is acting as an agent. In fact, you sign a contract that stipulates their role and their compensation. In this instance, you assume that the Ebay seller has possession of said items. It is, at the very least, deceptive.

46 18,636