09-22-2016, 07:57 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Just at dusk it dawned on me. I do not know the exact definition of a milled soap. I know it means a HARD soap such as Klars, and others boasting of being triple milled. Dittmars packaging talks of it in the tone of Werner Von Braun's angry letter to my father for finding a calculation error (Werner's) and a biting retort back in german . So, is milling mere compression of the soap or actually milling into smaller bits and then compressed?  I know soaps can age and actually improve as moisture is lost and the soap hardens. I'll just 'mill about' waiting for an answer.

2 3,171
 09-23-2016, 05:10 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Milled and compressed is what I've always assumed.

57 2,541
 09-23-2016, 05:30 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
 09-23-2016, 06:17 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
THANKYOU for the video. I'm glad I didn't sleep after viewing though. I had visions of PINK FLOYD THE WALL with the kids marching into the meat grinder.

2 3,171
 09-23-2016, 07:50 AM
User Info
And, artisan soaps can't be milled is because the full amount of glycerin would make the soap squash, stick, and gum up the machinery.  Milled soap starts with a drier product, soap noodles, that are ground up and mixed with the other ingredients to suit the needs of the manufacturer.  Artisan soap makers who claim to mill their soap confuse milling with rebatching (when you melt down your finished soap to add fragrance to it).

0 272
 09-23-2016, 04:44 PM
User Info
(09-23-2016, 05:30 AM)Entasis Wrote:

That was very cool! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 345
 09-23-2016, 05:01 PM
User Info
I wouldnt mind a brick of Felce aromatica.

59 1,406
 09-23-2016, 05:53 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(09-22-2016, 07:57 PM)kav Wrote:  I know it means a HARD soap such as Klars, and others boasting of being triple milled. 
I've read that Klars is milled five times, compared to others which are triple milled, which is why their relatively small puck lasts so long.

38 5,030
 09-23-2016, 06:14 PM
User Info
(09-23-2016, 07:50 AM)Mystic Water Wrote: And, artisan soaps can't be milled is because the full amount of glycerin would make the soap squash, stick, and gum up the machinery.  Milled soap starts with a drier product, soap noodles, that are ground up and mixed with the other ingredients to suit the needs of the manufacturer.  Artisan soap makers who claim to mill their soap confuse milling with rebatching (when you melt down your finished soap to add fragrance to it).

Is Saponificio Varesino shaving soaps triple milled, then ?

24 5,839
 09-23-2016, 06:24 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I just pressed my finger on a bar of MWF, Klars and SP. I would say yes, at least triple milled.

2 3,171
 09-23-2016, 06:31 PM
User Info
From what I know, soaps that are triple milled are usually milled more than 3 times, actually 5 times. I remember reading that there is a balance to over doing it where if it is done too many times, the soap will separate and crumble. 

To the the op's question, I thought that milling was more specific to the soap going through 2 stainless steel rollers and flattened into the thin pancake. I am not sure if the machine that compresses the soap through as noodles and then chops them at the end to little shavings has a name.

79 1,295
 09-23-2016, 06:47 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
In common consumer use a soap that can double as a hockey puck is milled.

2 3,171
 09-23-2016, 07:32 PM
User Info
(09-23-2016, 06:14 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 07:50 AM)Mystic Water Wrote: And, artisan soaps can't be milled is because the full amount of glycerin would make the soap squash, stick, and gum up the machinery.  Milled soap starts with a drier product, soap noodles, that are ground up and mixed with the other ingredients to suit the needs of the manufacturer.  Artisan soap makers who claim to mill their soap confuse milling with rebatching (when you melt down your finished soap to add fragrance to it).

Is Saponificio Varesino shaving soaps triple milled, then ?

Yes SV soaps are triple milled.

0 21
 09-23-2016, 07:55 PM
User Info
Here's an excerpt from a 1950's patent application for a mechanical improvement in producing milled soaps (this is the preliminary explanation of what milled soap is):

"Milled soaps are characterized by a moisture content less than about 15%, a firm dense texture and high resistance to warping and distortion. Milled soaps also have a somewhat translucent appearance and a rate of solubility higher than a framed soap of about the same solids composition. The conventional process of making milled soap comprises chilling settled kettle soap on a roll, removing the solidified soap from the chilling roll as ribbons, drying the ribbons to an average moisture content within the range of about to mixing the dried ribbons with perfume, preservative, whitening agents, etc., milling the mixture over a plurality of rolls in order thoroughly to homogenize the materials, plodding the milled chips, cutting the bar extruded from the plodder into individual cakes, pressing and wrapping the cakes."

Note that "settled kettle soap" refers to soap curds that have been "salted out" to remove the glycerin, so it can be ground, rolled, pressed, etc.  Different manuafacturers might use a slightly different method of preparing the soap for milling (% of moisture considered optimal, spray drying, etc). My understanding is that in modern times, many companies buy different types of soap noodles ready-made and blend them to their own specifications rather than making their own kettle soap.

0 272
 09-23-2016, 08:33 PM
User Info
(09-23-2016, 05:53 PM)evnpar Wrote:
(09-22-2016, 07:57 PM)kav Wrote:  I know it means a HARD soap such as Klars, and others boasting of being triple milled. 
I've read that Klars is milled five times, compared to others which are triple milled, which is why their relatively small puck lasts so long.

5 times? Man, I am sucker for long lasting soaps. I need to try this.

10 1,128
 09-23-2016, 09:11 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
FWIW, I don't believe Valobra mills their soaps (and I'm too tired at the moment to go to their website and check right now), rather they "boil to strength", instead.

57 2,541