08-04-2012, 01:27 PM
User Info
Manchurion brush experience is definitely a help with this post.

I'm a confirmed and dedicated face latherer. I have pretty much all the brushes I'll ever need, but I don't have a Manchurion, yet.

I looked at the Simpson site and the 2 that I see are the Chubby 1 and the Classic 1 that look to be very close to what I think would be good. The Chubby appears to have a knot 2mm longer. No big deal IMO. The price is substantially less.

Which would make the best face latherer? If the difference in FLing is small the much lower price would trump it for me. If the performance is huge then I'd want the better of the two for face lathering. Does that make sense?

Thanks gents!

BTW, I was going to link to the brushes at the Simpsons site, but they appear to be having problems.

32 6,311
 08-04-2012, 01:59 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I havent tried Manchurian Badger,but that Classic 1 in Manchurian Badger is...BabeandoBabeandoBabeando I have the Classic 1 in best badger and its a face latherer dream,so I can guess that a Simpson Classic 1 in Manchurian badger is face latherering nirvana.

86 7,124
 08-04-2012, 02:11 PM
User Info
The Chubby is packed with more hair.

As for difference in performance.... Uh.... Do you prefer the Chubby 1 in best or the Classic 1 in best? Huh

Sorry, best I can help you with. From a personal perspective, there comes a point when a brush becomes too dense to release the lather effectively (aka lather hog). The Chubby is damn close to the line if not over.

Personally, I'd go with the Classic and see if I really liked the hair and if I'd want 20%-50% more hair in the same diameter.

9 2,988
 08-04-2012, 03:11 PM
User Info
I can give you my experiences with the Classic 1 in Manchurian here perhaps Monday. I have a feeling that I'll have it that day or maybe on Tuesday. Not quite sure when it'll get here but I plan on posting about it when I get it.

10 466
 08-04-2012, 03:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-04-2012, 03:11 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: I can give you my experiences with the Classic 1 in Manchurian here perhaps Monday. I have a feeling that I'll have it that day or maybe on Tuesday. Not quite sure when it'll get here but I plan on posting about it when I get it.

And I wanna read/see pics of your impressions...

86 7,124
 08-04-2012, 03:33 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I debated over the Classic 1 versus the Chubby 1. The Chubby 1 ultimately won and I'm extremely happy with my decision.

An attribute of the Manchurian knot is noticeably improved flow through and it's abundantly evident in the Chubby 1. I own a few Manchurians now and the Chubby 1 is currently (and very much to my surprise) my favourite.

The Classic 1 represents a keen price point and perhaps a greater sense of value for money. I'm a firm believer that there is a quantifiable difference in the Manchurian knot over other Simpsons offerings and am therefore prepared to make the greater investment. Following this rationalisation, the Chubby 1 possesses more Manchurian hair which translates to an easy justification in price difference IMO.

The Manchurians have been dubbed "Goldilocks" brushes, in that they "are just right..."

Just the right amount of backbone...
Just the right amount of flow through...
Just the right amount of softness...
Just the right amount of sensation...

But purchasing one shouldn't be reliant on spending just the right amount of money and I'll explain why:

I can't see you being disappointed with either choice. The Classic 1 is finically a more modest avenue to the Manchurian experience (and no doubt a fine brush). However, having purchased the Chubby 1, I don't covert the Classic 1 or spend time pondering how it might perform compared to other Manchurians. I don't see this as the case (pardon the pun) with the Classic 1. I predict buying the Classic 1 will result in further Manchurian purchases in an effort to find the perfect brush (given that you may just have found the perfect hair)...

So am I saying that the Chubby 1 is the perfect brush?

I might just be...

It does seem to be "just right!"

In particular the right amount of density and flow through (for me).

IMO the Chubby 1 Manchurian is the perfect face latherers brush. Before owning it, I would have appointed my Duke 3 Manchurian that accolade.

Given the reduction in density and the expected correlation in shorter drying time along with it's compact size and convenient travel case I predict the Classic 1 Manchurian to be the perfect travel brush. (And for that reason I would like to add it to my collection, but as I don't travel regularly (nor possess enough funds to bankroll an infinite shaving budget) it's unlikely at this time).

91 17,883
 08-04-2012, 04:45 PM
User Info
(08-04-2012, 03:22 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(08-04-2012, 03:11 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: I can give you my experiences with the Classic 1 in Manchurian here perhaps Monday. I have a feeling that I'll have it that day or maybe on Tuesday. Not quite sure when it'll get here but I plan on posting about it when I get it.

And I wanna read/see pics of your impressions...

I'll post them when I get the brush! Smile

10 466
 08-04-2012, 06:25 PM
User Info
Yes Joe, I'd like your impression of it also. I'm in no hurry to decide, in fact the Chubby 1 is out of stock at this time.

32 6,311
 08-04-2012, 06:28 PM
User Info
I've been looking at Simpson's brushes some lately. I think my choice would be narrowed down to a Classic 2, Duke 3, or Chubby 1 or 2. For some reason I've never been a big fan of The Duke but all the great reviews are why it's even in my final 3. The Classic 2 and Chubby I think would be my favorites. The only question for me is would I like all that density that the Chubby brings.

31 7,914
 08-04-2012, 06:47 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
You cannot go wrong with the M7. I picked up an M7 in ivory fleck and love it.

45 16,363
 08-04-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
(08-04-2012, 06:28 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I've been looking at Simpson's brushes some lately. I think my choice would be narrowed down to a Classic 2, Duke 3, or Chubby 1 or 2. For some reason I've never been a big fan of The Duke but all the great reviews are why it's even in my final 3. The Classic 2 and Chubby I think would be my favorites. The only question for me is would I like all that density that the Chubby brings.

It's not for everyone, I'll admit. As for me, bring on the hair!!!

Okay, I'll admit, there is a point at which packing more hair into the same square mm is detrimental. And that point is the Chubby.

9 2,988
 08-04-2012, 08:16 PM
User Info
(08-04-2012, 07:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(08-04-2012, 06:28 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I've been looking at Simpson's brushes some lately. I think my choice would be narrowed down to a Classic 2, Duke 3, or Chubby 1 or 2. For some reason I've never been a big fan of The Duke but all the great reviews are why it's even in my final 3. The Classic 2 and Chubby I think would be my favorites. The only question for me is would I like all that density that the Chubby brings.

Okay, I'll admit, there is a point at which packing more hair into the same square mm is detrimental. And that point is the Chubby.

So, do you think the Chubby toes the line successfully or is it a bit too dense? IYO obviously. Thanks.

31 7,914
 08-04-2012, 08:32 PM
User Info
(08-04-2012, 08:16 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(08-04-2012, 07:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:

So, do you think the Chubby toes the line successfully or is it a bit too dense? IYO obviously. Thanks.

I think the continued popularity of the Chubby and brushes like it speaks for itself.

That said, it sure uses a lot of product.

9 2,988
 08-04-2012, 08:38 PM
User Info
Wow, Brian, you have two great brushes to chose from. i would go with the Chubby, personally. i have a Chubby 1 in two-band super and it is a very fine brush, but YMMV. Good luck, my friend.

75 20,884
 08-04-2012, 09:55 PM
User Info
(08-04-2012, 06:47 PM)bullgoose Wrote: You cannot go wrong with the M7. I picked up an M7 in ivory fleck and love it.

a big +1

0 140
 08-04-2012, 10:08 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
The Classic 1 in Manchurian is one of the finest shaving brushes I've ever held in my hand. 'nuff said.

5 270
 08-04-2012, 11:14 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Obviously I agree with Celestino regarding the Chubby, but in Manchurian, I only own: Chubby 1, Chubby 2, Colonel, Duke 3, Emperor 3, Hive, Polo 8, Polo 10, Rover and Tulip 3, so what would I know... Tongue

91 17,883
 08-05-2012, 01:09 AM
User Info
(08-04-2012, 06:47 PM)bullgoose Wrote: You cannot go wrong with the M7. I picked up an M7 in ivory fleck and love it.

These stand head and shoulders above the rest:

I big vote for my M7 fleck & Polo 8

Charles U.K

0 2,340
 08-05-2012, 03:16 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
and....Mark & Co. have some Butterscotch in the works. Maybe Manchurian.

42 1,041
 08-05-2012, 03:40 AM
User Info
Our very best knot former has just completed ten heads for each of the following:

All in Butterscotch & filled with Manchurian ...

Chubby 2
Chubby 3
Polo 8
Polo 10
Tulip 3

They are stunning pieces and when they're gone, they are gone!

Cool

(08-05-2012, 03:16 AM)VTMAX Wrote: and....Mark & Co. have some Butterscotch in the works. Maybe Manchurian.

1 630