09-23-2016, 05:55 AM
User Info
Quote:Something strange happened. 

I was traveling home the other day, so I was in the process of packing. When I took my razor apart I discovered that the Gillette Nacet I had used for 5 shaves had broken in half down the middle.

My last shave was not negatively affected, I still got a nice DFS+ with no irritation. 

I never noticed any misalignment, one side never shaved differently from the other, so I'm assuming that both halves of the blade were held in place by the razor.

BTW, the razor was a Blackland Blackbird.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

0 264
 09-23-2016, 05:59 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I've never seen this happen in a razor. I have almost broken a blade trying to get it out of a difficult wrapper. Maybe you cracked the razor unwrapping it. The when it was clamped between to top plate and bottom plate the slight bend cause it to finally break.

61 507
 09-23-2016, 06:09 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
It can happen. I pulled a front drum off of a 64 Dodge Dart that was cracked in half. the senior mechanic said he saw that once before- on a Model A.   I bought a laminated knife from famed Norwegian knifemaker Helle. The laminates seperated and they absolutely freaked out. I mailed it back for analysis and received TWO in replacement.

2 3,171
 09-23-2016, 06:15 AM
User Info
I have had this issue before in different razors.

I attributed it to the blade and not the razor as it's occurred in different brands and models with modern and vintage stuff alike. Blades and razors.

I suspect that this is a combination of a slightly out of spec thinness to the blade and a sloppy approach to loading the blade askew. Along with a little bit too much tightening of the handle. 

I picture the blade catching up with the post or alignment somewhere within the razor head and the extremely hot water that I keep in a mug for swishing eventually trips all of the above mentioned presumed conditions and results in a snapped blade.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not just you.

7 1,313
 09-23-2016, 06:26 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was at a gun and blade show at the Ventura fairgrounds and the owner of a locally based knife company decided to have a showtable. He was bad mouthing Spydercos as junk
while doing his infamous demonstration stabbing a car door. He picked up a big phallic symbol and stabbed the door again. Knife shattered into 3 pieces.

2 3,171
 09-23-2016, 07:52 AM
User Info
(09-23-2016, 06:26 AM)kav Wrote: I was at a gun and blade show at the Ventura fairgrounds and the owner of a locally based knife company decided to have a showtable. He was bad mouthing Spydercos as junk
while doing his infamous demonstration stabbing a car door. He picked up a big phallic symbol and stabbed the door again. Knife shattered into 3 pieces.

Can't imagine anyone thinking Spydercos are junk! I love them, they make up the bulk of my modest collection.

0 264
 09-27-2016, 02:54 PM
User Info
It happened to me again!

This time the blade didn't break all the way in half, but there was a split on one end from the center channel to the end of the blade.

I knew something was wrong this time because ther was a difference in the sound of the audio feedback between blade sides.

I think the problem may be that I was cranking on the razor's handle too much when closing the razor. I replaced the blade, and this time I just snugged the handle up, didn't crank down on it. Now I wait to see if it happens again.

0 264
 09-29-2016, 09:30 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Very interesting. With my three BlackBirds I predominantly use GSB, Astra, and Feather blades and I have never had a spilt blade. I use both 70mm and 101mm BB handles and tighten them up pretty thoroughly every time. Do you use an original BB handle or an aftermarket one?

111 1,400
 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM
User Info
(09-29-2016, 09:30 AM)ARGH Wrote: Very interesting. With my three BlackBirds I predominantly use GSB, Astra, and Feather blades and I have never had a spilt blade. I use both 70mm and 101mm BB handles and tighten them up pretty thoroughly every time. Do you use an original BB handle or an aftermarket one?

I use an original 70mm handle. So far I have experienced splits with a Nacet and a Perma-sharp. I have a GSB loaded now, I'm using it like I always do, I'll have to wait and see what happens.

0 264