09-23-2016, 07:13 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I have purchased a great variety of Gillette British and US Aristocrats in recent months.  As stated by others, I am finding Gillette's rather mild. (Even the Red Tip Superspeeds seem mild to my taste.) I have shaved with most of these.  But, I find that, with my normal blades, I have to make additional passes or buff many areas to get a close shave.  So, I decided to try something different.

Today, I pulled out a "new" British Aristocrat 66 and grabbed a Feather blade to use in the razor.  Miraculously, I was able to get a decent shave with this combination.  I have stayed away from regularly using Feathers, especially in my more aggressive razors. I found it very easy to nick myself if I didn't really pay attention.  However, in today's shave, I was able to speed through the shave as if I were shaving with a OneBlade.  It was a totally different experience.  Call me stupid, if you wish, but I never thought of putting a very sharp blade in a mild razor to offset the mildness of the hardware.  

After having this experience, I now think I ought to give the Feather AS-D2 another try with the Feather.  (I did not use the Feather blade in the Feather.)

Overall, I love the look and feel of these Aristocrats, especially the Rhodium plated ones.  I am glad that I found a way to work these into my rotation and actually get good shaves.

61 507
 09-23-2016, 12:04 PM
User Info
That's the beauty of DE shaving, so many blade/razor combos that it helps to keep a log of which combo works best. In addition, you factor in the soap and brush combo.

5 111
 09-23-2016, 12:25 PM
User Info
Yes, Feathers work great for me in mild razors, don't like them at all in more aggressive razors.  

Have gone back to a DE89 with a Feather as my travel razor.  Surprisingly good shave.

53 1,199
 09-23-2016, 01:25 PM
User Info
I would recommend using that combo a few times on a row and then revisit your other razors. You might be pleasantly surprised  Biggrin

8 1,129
 09-23-2016, 01:33 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(09-23-2016, 01:25 PM)lloydrm Wrote: I would recommend using that combo a few times on a row and then revisit your other razors. You might be pleasantly surprised  Biggrin

I think I might.  In what way are you thinking I might be surprised?

61 507
 09-23-2016, 07:46 PM
User Info
(09-23-2016, 07:13 AM)gp569900 Wrote: I have purchased a great variety of Gillette British and US Aristocrats in recent months.  As stated by others, I am finding Gillette's rather mild. (Even the Red Tip Superspeeds seem mild to my taste.) I have shaved with most of these.  But, I find that, with my normal blades, I have to make additional passes or buff many areas to get a close shave.  

Have you tried a #21 yet?  My experience has been that it is far and away the most aggressive.

26 246
 09-23-2016, 08:35 PM
User Info
You just made me want to take out my #58. Time to shave with that baby again with a sharper blade.

11 1,169
 09-23-2016, 09:54 PM
User Info
(09-23-2016, 01:33 PM)gp569900 Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 01:25 PM)lloydrm Wrote: I would recommend using that combo a few times on a row and then revisit your other razors. You might be pleasantly surprised  Biggrin

I think I might.  In what way are you thinking I might be surprised?

It might be that you found the right angle for this razor. Once you get it right with one razor it gets easier with others. At least that is what I experienced  Thumbup

8 1,129
 09-24-2016, 04:37 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-23-2016, 07:13 AM)gp569900 Wrote: Today, I pulled out a "new" British Aristocrat 66 and grabbed a Feather blade to use in the razor.  Miraculously, I was able to get a decent shave with this combination.  I have stayed away from regularly using Feathers, especially in my more aggressive razors. I found it very easy to nick myself if I didn't really pay attention.  However, in today's shave, I was able to speed through the shave as if I were shaving with a OneBlade.  It was a totally different experience.  Call me stupid, if you wish, but I never thought of putting a very sharp blade in a mild razor to offset the mildness of the hardware.  

After having this experience, I now think I ought to give the Feather AS-D2 another try with the Feather.  (I did not use the Feather blade in the Feather.)

With all due respect, sire, methinks that you reached the right result coming from the wrong end of the telescope:   you used the mild razor to offset the floppiness of a very thin gauge blade that just happens also to be a very sharp blade.  (Just a few days ago, yr obdnt srvnt posted a War & Peace version of the explanation in another subforum on this board.)

It is a matter of master and servant:  does the razor set the boundaries for the blade or does the blade set the boundaries for the razor?

1 1,089
 09-24-2016, 05:10 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(09-24-2016, 04:37 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 07:13 AM)gp569900 Wrote: Today, I pulled out a "new" British Aristocrat 66 and grabbed a Feather blade to use in the razor.  Miraculously, I was able to get a decent shave with this combination.  I have stayed away from regularly using Feathers, especially in my more aggressive razors. I found it very easy to nick myself if I didn't really pay attention.  However, in today's shave, I was able to speed through the shave as if I were shaving with a OneBlade.  It was a totally different experience.  Call me stupid, if you wish, but I never thought of putting a very sharp blade in a mild razor to offset the mildness of the hardware.  

With all due respect, sire, methinks that you reached the right result coming from the wrong end of the telescope:   you used the mild razor to offset the floppiness of a very thin gauge blade that just happens also to be a very sharp blade.  (Just a few days ago, yr obdnt srvnt posted a War & Peace version of the explanation in another subforum on this board.)

It is a matter of master and servant:  does the razor set the boundaries for the blade or does the blade set the boundaries for the razor?

I just read your post. I will give this razor another try with a Kai and see what difference I experience between shaves. What you write makes sense. But, I do believe I still need a very sharp blade in this razor to achieve the results I did. Previous blades just didn't do it for me.

61 507
 09-24-2016, 04:34 PM
User Info
I like Feathers in any DE razor, why use a dull blade in anything?

0 263