09-25-2016, 05:09 AM
  • tof
User Info
Like most of you, I have the need to travel from time to time but still want the relaxation that my evening shave brings.  I'd do find that packing my regular razor, soap and brush takes more room than it should, especially when traveling light.  I'm currently using a small brush in a viewtainer and carrying my DE separately. Then there's the soap container. Even though it's a small hard soap, it takes up precious room. 

What are you doing to resolve your packing problems?  Is there a good kit? ...a good DE travel razor (not aggressive)? ....what about soaps?  Do you break everything down and pack your blades separately?

Please teach me something!

1 49
 09-25-2016, 05:19 AM
User Info
Vintage early Gillette Tech (mild/moderate)
Synthetic brush (drys easily)
Shave stick or cream directly on brush

easy breezy Smile

5 270
 09-25-2016, 05:20 AM
User Info
Being in the military, I have learned a thing or two about packing both for weight and for volume.

In my experience there are two kind of travel.. the kind where you stay (and shave) in a hotel, and the kind where you're happy to have time and water to shave with... My kit don't changes too much between the two, and the only real difference is the razor. For the former, I have a nice vintage Gillette khaki set from 1918, for the later I have a Merkur 985CL open comb travel razor. They are both nice razors, but I would feel quite bad if my Khaki went missing or broke. As for the rest... a travel sized aftershave (Kramperts), a shave stick (LEA, since it comes in a plastic tube), a travel brush (Omega 50014, some beard oil (WSP for now, but might switch to Big Red), alum and blades. Everything you need for a moment of zen away from home.

[Image: 2016-05-23%2B18.11.13.jpg]

3 4,479
 09-25-2016, 05:42 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Any DE that I like but don't mind if it gets lost
A shave stick in a container
A synthetic travel brush, Muhle or Simpsons Classic 1 which comes with a case.
A small size alum deodorant stick for post shave
An after shave decanted into a small plastic bottle
A tuck of blades in a plastic dispenser.

About as minimal as I want to go

Bob

0 1,694
 09-25-2016, 06:10 AM
User Info
It all depend; if your checking in you bag or if its carried on. Most any vintage razor can be acquired inexpensively, but a lord won't break a budget either. If only a carry on luggage; a Bic Metals will keep TSA of your back and still give a good shave. Many variables; all depends on how your going and space you have.

0 596
 09-25-2016, 07:10 AM
User Info
I keep it simple and cheap a Gillette ss, col conks in their travel container,synthetic brush and a tube of aftershave balm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Paul Bryan

0 747
 09-25-2016, 01:32 PM
User Info
+ 1 on Bic Metal if you're carrying on. 

If not, I just acquired a Wilkinson DE - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012Y...UTF8&psc=1

Won't break the bank, does a great job, and OK if it gets lost..

RazoRock Disruptor Synthetic & whatever soap/cream, depending on mood and room in the bag.

20 367
 09-25-2016, 04:09 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My current setup for travel is a Merker 42C, CH2 synthetic w/matching tube, plastic tuck of blades w/built-in blade bank, Omega alum in plastic tube, Valobra unscented soap.

7 2,121
 09-25-2016, 04:30 PM
User Info
I don't have a brush that I am willing to abuse putting away wet, so I just leave it at home.  This is what I take to the gym every morning. 

Razor - Any razor that I am not afraid to lose.  Right now it is a banged up fat handle tech.
Soap - A stick of Palmolive or Arko in a pill bottle from the pharmacist.
Blades -  A small silver Gillette blade holder with about a tuck of blades in it.

I should probably look into a small synthetic brush at some point.

18 586
 09-25-2016, 06:57 PM
User Info
Dale, do you just rub the soap with your hand to work the lather after you have applied it?

82 21,077
 09-25-2016, 09:21 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-25-2016, 06:10 AM)GreeneMD Wrote: It all depend; if your checking in you bag or if its carried on. Most any vintage razor can be acquired inexpensively, but a lord won't break a budget either. If only a carry on luggage; a Bic Metals will keep TSA of your back and still give a good shave. Many variables; all depends on how your going and space you have.

We travel a lot, usually by air, and always with carry-on, not checked, luggage.  The Feather MR3 neo (sometimes available from BullGooseShaving) razor will return a shave as close as, and usually closer than, any DE razor, and, unlike any DE razor with blades, can be checked through TSA and foreign airport security stations.  The MR3 neo is far superior to any other TSA-approved shaving hardware, and can give you a BBS shave more consistently and reliably than whatever DE razor you are using at home, if you use sensible shave prep.

Sensible shave prep:  carry a brush and, in a closable tin, a small puck of suitable soap.  A Plisson-style synthetic brush, carried in a cardboard tube from an ordinary roll of toilet paper, and a palm-size puck of Haslinger Schafmilch soap, is all you really need.

1 1,086
 09-26-2016, 03:08 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
When I travel, I usually take with me a Schick Injector, a shaving stick/ or samples of soaps and creams, a synthetic brush with small knot and a shatter-proof bottle of Aqua Velva or Brut.

49 1,995
 09-26-2016, 04:55 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Here is my regular travel set up:

Razor: BlackBird in ATT travel pouch (either handle fits well)
Brush: Either M6 or 26mm Paladin PK 47
Soap: Tabac or Sir Irisch Moos shaving stick
AS: Thayer's  Witch hazel original
Blades: GSB or whatever is available where I travel to if I don't check baggage in. My BBs work equally

112 1,495
 09-26-2016, 09:59 AM
User Info
Fat-handle Tech
Polsilver SIs in my checked bag
Small boar or synthetic brush, in an empty medicine bottle that has had a few holes drilled into it

I use soaps exclusively at home, but when I travel, sometimes I pack a tiny sample container of a cream.  otherwise, a small puck of soap. 

I decant aftershave into a travel-ready container. 

This stuff really doesn't take up that much room.  

If I am not able to check a bag, and have to take everything on the plane with me, I use an Atra for my razor.

2 1,448
 09-26-2016, 01:13 PM
User Info
I just carry an inexpensive synethic brush, a stick of Arko, an aftershave balm and either s Gillette Tech or a Dorco PL

11 1,169
 09-26-2016, 01:18 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I take an aluminum razor, like the Standard razor (also have a BRW aluminum handle), because they are extremely light. I also have a Wee Scott brush that I keep in a pill container. Soap samples or a small tube of Coate's. Sample or decant colognes.

60 843
 09-26-2016, 04:39 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I have an aged Fatboy in the Dopp, depending on the type of travel I take a smaller badger or synthetic (if moving around a lot, syths are easier to dry and won't rot anyway) brush in a tube.  Irisch Moos shave stick usually, or a travel sized cream.  I decant enough AS for the trip into a small bottle.  I got a little round alum button somewhere that does that duty.

The blades are the only quandry if going exclusively carry-on.  I have some stashed at the couple places I am welcome, and have mailed ahead also.  Lately I've noticed most drugstores have at least one type of DE available, even if overpriced.  Last trip in fact the mailed ahead tuck of Feathers went missing in the mails, but I found a pack of DE's at CVS.  

If space (as opposed to weight) was the primary consideration you could go with a Wee Scotl brush and a 3 piece tech razor.  Forego the Alum, and pack one of the smaller shave sticks, say La Toja which has about half the volume of the Tabac or Moos containers.  If you can take blades, take only enough for your trip, rather than a full plastic tuck of 10.  Like so ..[Image: UUeQByd.jpg]

44 472
 09-26-2016, 05:42 PM
User Info
(09-25-2016, 06:57 PM)celestino Wrote: Dale, do you just rub the soap with your hand to work the lather after you have applied it?

Yes. I work it into a pretty slick skim coat and get good shaves. I do prefer a brush but have had a couple semogue boars disintegrate after being put away wet for too long.

18 586
 09-26-2016, 05:59 PM
User Info
I am the wrong guy to speak on it, because I tend to haul a small Den around with me wherever I go...

[Image: d8f73ad1f9a968e36290b0d613d52566.jpg]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 09-27-2016, 02:28 PM
  • tof
User Info
That's quite a travel bag!

I'm going to make a trial run at it this weekend. Packing a small synthetic, ordered some Bic Metals and some La Toja along with a 1oz. Liquid container. I hope the Metals work. Never used them before. Missing my DE already!

1 49