09-25-2016, 06:35 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
I think they would, for me, how about you?

What are the key specs. that a razor maker could supply that might save you from buying into a razor head that isn’t your 'cup of tea'. We seem to equate "Gap" witth aggressiveness, but I think "Blade Exposure" and "Blade Angle" are more useful as descriptors of aggressiveness. How about these?

GAP: Could be described with actual metrics or less quantitative words like "Small", "Medium" and "Large".

BLADE EXPOSURE: Same choices as above.

BLADE ANGLE: Actual angle of the blade with respect to the skin. This should be the attitude of the blade when the preferred angle of the blade is set to what the maker deems as the proper one. Then, the actual blade angle would depend on how it it is mounted and held in place. Again, actual angular dimensions could be supplied or the less specific terms of "Shallow", "Medium" and "Steep".

Would these help, are there more that could be added, or is this a silly thought and totally unnecessary?

N.B. Mods: Though razor oriented, I opted for this forum. If better on another, feel free...

0 363
 09-25-2016, 06:53 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I think it could be helpful however selling a system to all makers would be a challenge at the least. I like ratings based on efficiency. 

Honestly I could be content if the entire planet would just use the metric systemSmile

59 4,491
 09-25-2016, 08:07 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I don't think these facts, although interesting, would be of help to me.  I don't have evidence, but I think head shape and design may make knowing blade gaps less informative than we think. When I started this obsession of mine I seem to remember there being a table of razors and blade gaps [maybe B&B], and I also remember thinking that aggressiveness did not correlate very precisely with blade gap.  But for those who would like to know, it makes sense for manufacturers to include this information.

1 795
 09-25-2016, 08:57 AM
User Info
I use aggressiveness as my single qualifying metric when purchasing.

27 1,080
 09-26-2016, 08:38 AM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
Well, Beamon, I'm with you in principle. Once I understood what 'gap,' 'exposure,' and 'angle' meant, the terms 'mild' and 'aggressive' suddenly had objective meanings for me. I realize you want to jump to marketable terms like 'small' or 'large,' for gap and exposure, but it would be better to simply state those dimensions, and let the subjective terms develop from there. Unfortunately, both of them depend in some measure on the dimensions of the blade inserted. For angle, though, I'm of your mind entirely.

0 107
 09-26-2016, 10:33 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(09-26-2016, 08:38 AM)Tokyospike Wrote:  Unfortunately, both of them depend in some measure on the dimensions of the blade inserted. For angle, though, I'm of your mind entirely.
Not really for DE, Spike. TTBOMK, all DE blades are exactly the same size. Though there can be ever so slight differences in thickness, the difference is so small as to not be an influence in the GAP dimensions. The vaunted Feather DE blade is thinner than other DE blades, but compared to the GAP dimension it represents only a tiny, tiny part of that dimension. In SE blades there can be and are differences in blade width which is enough to influence BLADE EXPOSURE. 

The FAQs on the ATT website list GAP dimensions of their own heads and that of a number of their competitors. Good info, but it implies, by omission, that GAP is solely responsible for aggressiveness.

Know what you're saying, eengler, about EFFICIENCY as a player, but I think it's a bit more subjective, whereas aggression can be pretty well pinned down by the foregoing specs. Arguable, I know, and I might be 'all wet' on this.

0 363
 09-26-2016, 01:16 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-26-2016, 08:38 AM)Tokyospike Wrote: it would be better to simply state those dimensions, and let the subjective terms develop from there. Unfortunately, both of them depend in some measure on the dimensions of the blade inserted. For angle, though, I'm of your mind entirely.

All DE blades, even those made in third world nations, follow the formerly patented design of the Gillette DE blades, and have the same dimensions, holes, hole shapes, etc.  However, when shaving, a man (or woman) tends to rest a specific unmarked line on the top cap or on the leading edge of the baseplate on his face (or her leg) and then rotate the razor head around that line as a fulcrum until the edge of the blade touches the skin; so the radius of the curvature of the top cap or of the front of the safety bar (in closed comb models) or end of the tines of the comb (in open comb models) also will enter into how the shaver perceives the razor on the aggressive to mild axis.  

1 1,086
 10-01-2016, 03:15 AM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
Wow. OK. I stand corrected. It's different in my hermetic Artist's Club SE world, where different blades have different exposure and therefore change the gap as well.

0 107
 10-01-2016, 06:38 AM
User Info
I think there is a lot more than those variables that determine the shaving experience. For example how flat and firmly the blade is held, IMO has a great effect on smoothness and overall shave experience. Also the built in angle on the top cap. I have no issues dialing up; and therefore increasing the blade gap, on a Progress but not on a Fatboy.

8 1,126
 10-01-2016, 06:47 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-26-2016, 08:38 AM)Tokyospike Wrote: Well, Beamon, I'm with you in principle. Once I understood what 'gap,' 'exposure,' and 'angle' meant, the terms 'mild' and 'aggressive' suddenly had objective meanings for me. I realize you want to jump to marketable terms like 'small' or 'large,' for gap and exposure, but it would be better to simply state those dimensions, and let the subjective terms develop from there. Unfortunately, both of them depend in some measure on the dimensions of the blade inserted. For angle, though, I'm of your mind entirely.

On the other hand, providing all of this information could be both daunting and intimidating to those considering the switch from cartridge to DE. I also think there are really too many variables to measure. Blade gap, exposure and angle are some variables that determine the aggressiveness but so do how the blade seats, the amount of blade chatter, weight and a million other variables that I cannot think of at the moment.

46 18,327
 10-01-2016, 06:50 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-26-2016, 01:16 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-26-2016, 08:38 AM)Tokyospike Wrote: it would be better to simply state those dimensions, and let the subjective terms develop from there. Unfortunately, both of them depend in some measure on the dimensions of the blade inserted. For angle, though, I'm of your mind entirely.

All DE blades, even those made in third world nations, follow the formerly patented design of the Gillette DE blades, and have the same dimensions, holes, hole shapes, etc.  However, when shaving, a man (or woman) tends to rest a specific unmarked line on the top cap or on the leading edge of the baseplate on his face (or her leg) and then rotate the razor head around that line as a fulcrum until the edge of the blade touches the skin; so the radius of the curvature of the top cap or of the front of the safety bar (in closed comb models) or end of the tines of the comb (in open comb models) also will enter into how the shaver perceives the razor on the aggressive to mild axis.  
Mostly true but not entirely true. Kai DE blades are slightly thicker and fit most but not all DE razors.

46 18,327