03-09-2012, 01:02 PM
User Info
Thumbs up or thumbs down? Pewter can corrode and I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. Since I keep it on a corner of the sink, a non-breakable mug seems like a good idea. A local cutlery store has a mug that looks just like the Vulfix Shaving Cup, a fine looking shaving accessory to be sure.

0 303
 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
  • kav
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Pewter, both modern alloy and the older with lead is by nature a soft meal prone to scratches,dents and corrosion. If you really like it, anything can be successfully curated with a little TLC. I missed a vintage silverplate scuttle by a dollar and 5 second EBAY ambush. It's an elegant look to be sure. I just discovered Waterford Chrystal made shaving cups briefly.

2 3,169
 03-09-2012, 03:38 PM
User Info
I am a big fan of pewter. I have pewter wine goblets, a pewter formal tea set, pewter salt and pepper shakers, candle sticks and a Christmas tree decorated exclusively with pewter ornaments.

I also have a pewter shaving brush and three pewter shave bowls.

In the pic the polished pewter bowl on the shaving stand has been in use for 10 years. Going clockwise, next is a pewter porridger. It has been in use for 13 years. Last is the pewter mug. I have had that for 15 months.

The brush is at least 15 years old. I added a TGN knot 3 years ago. For 13 years this was my only brush and used every day.

The pewter holds up very well. I have polished the porridger and brush once in all the years of use.

I would heartily recommend a pewter shaving mug or bowl.

Phil

Attached Files Image(s)

7 363
 03-09-2012, 04:23 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I have a pewter beer mug my brother in law bought me years ago and never had a problem with it.

100 12,437
 03-09-2012, 07:55 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Phil, those look very nice. Thanks for sharing.

173 23,490
 03-09-2012, 08:25 PM
User Info
It looks like pewter mugs and pewter in general holds up really well. Thanks for all the info guys, and especially for that photo Phil! I think a pewter mug from the local cutlery store is in my future.

0 303
 03-10-2012, 06:18 AM
User Info
I picked up both my mug and the porridger from Hampshire pewter.
They are in NH and once a year we make a trip to their factory/store.

In their store the mug was displayed with other mugs and it came with a Classic shaving soap puck. But on their web site a search of "shaving" yields no hits.

But this is the mug
http://www.hampshirepewter.com/cart/prod...255&page=3

Or for the same price you can get it from Classic Shaving and they throw in a puck of their soap
http://www.classicshaving.com/Shave_Mugs_and_Bowls.html

Phil

7 363
 03-10-2012, 06:23 AM
  • Colcurinho
  • From the land of Semogue, Musgo Real, ..
User Info
Quote:[Image: attachment.php?aid=239]

Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart

0 106
 10-14-2013, 11:29 PM
User Info
In 1976, in recognition of the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, you could get a cast pewter mug with appropriate patriotic design cast in. To get it, you sent in a coupon that was enclosed with pucks of Williams shaving soap.

I sent for, and received one at the time and I used It for probably about thirty years. In recent years I found an old box of Williams that still had the coupon in it. The mug and the box of Williams with the coupon are, together, I think, kind of a cool addition to my collection of shaving implements.

The inside of the mug, in the bottom, where the soap always sat, there are some signs of corrosion of the metal. The outside still looks just fine. I quit using the mug a few years ago because I felt that, with enough time, the corrosion might go all the way through. It would have taken many more years, but I felt it was time to retire it to a display mode.

Regards,
Tom

0 10
 10-18-2013, 08:23 AM
User Info
(10-14-2013, 11:29 PM)tom myers Wrote: In 1976, in recognition of the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, you could get a cast pewter mug with appropriate patriotic design cast in. To get it, you sent in a coupon that was enclosed with pucks of Williams shaving soap.

I sent for, and received one at the time and I used It for probably about thirty years. In recent years I found an old box of Williams that still had the coupon in it. The mug and the box of Williams with the coupon are, together, I think, kind of a cool addition to my collection of shaving implements.

The inside of the mug, in the bottom, where the soap always sat, there are some signs of corrosion of the metal. The outside still looks just fine. I quit using the mug a few years ago because I felt that, with enough time, the corrosion might go all the way through. It would have taken many more years, but I felt it was time to retire it to a display mode.

Regards,
Tom

Pic?

6 808
 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM
User Info
This is the mug I was referring to:

[Image: fQwsigI.jpg]

Regards,
Tom

0 10
 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
That's a great looking shave mug.. especially since you had that much history with it. ahh... the old days when you can mail away for stuff and get something decent!

Been looking at a mug myself but wasn't if that's the route I wanted as I'm not sure if I want to put a puck of something into it and if it'll even fit some of the pucks of soap out there... newbie problems lol..

35 1,310