09-27-2016, 07:52 AM
User Info
Guys I have been thinking lately... Why is it that we have $400 brush from Thater and one assembled yourself. 

If the expense on the handle is taken away what is the real difference between a Silver tip from one of Thater or Silver tip from a Chinese seller? Badger is an Animal and the hair taken from the areas of neck should be the same regardless of which company makes it. Is there a better quality animal? If not why the price difference?

0 83
 09-27-2016, 08:10 AM
User Info
A good bit has to do with quality. Hand tied knots, density, and overall quality of the hair used. Just because it comes from the same area does not mean they are the same quality. Kraft and Great value both make Mac and cheese but one is better than the other. 

That being said, I will never own a $400 dollar brush. Even if I had it I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm not knocking others in anyway, it's just my personal feeling on the matter. I can get a great lather and face feel from one a fraction of the price. I think a good bit is in just being able to say you have one.

147 3,539
 09-27-2016, 08:11 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(09-27-2016, 07:52 AM)greekgod Wrote: Guys I have been thinking lately... Why is it that we have $400 brush from Thater and one assembled yourself. 

If the expense on the handle is taken away what is the real difference between a Silver tip from one of Thater or Silver tip from a Chinese seller? Badger is an Animal and the hair taken from the areas of neck should be the same regardless of which company makes it. Is there a better quality animal? If not why the price difference?

In answer to your "Is there a better animal?" question. Yes in the sense that a pelt is pelt is not so. There are prime pelts and then there are the others. Any trapper will tell you that and they do get a premium for those prime pelts.

0 1,694
 09-27-2016, 08:11 AM
User Info
Well its just like mazda vs a mercedes. You are paying for the brand history, quality, longevity second hand value etc.

If you want a nice badger with good price/performance ratio, I suggest you check the Frank Shaving Brushes.

0 132
 09-27-2016, 08:32 AM
User Info
(09-27-2016, 08:11 AM)dikdik_s Wrote: Well its just like mazda vs a mercedes. You are paying for the brand history, quality, longevity second hand value etc.

If you want a nice badger with good price/performance ratio, I suggest you check the Frank Shaving Brushes.

I understand but unlike a car we don't make the hair. The hair comes from the same animal. It's an unique element

0 83
 09-27-2016, 08:34 AM
User Info
(09-27-2016, 08:11 AM)BobH Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 07:52 AM)greekgod Wrote: Guys I have been thinking lately... Why is it that we have $400 brush from Thater and one assembled yourself. 

In answer to your "Is there a better animal?" question. Yes in the sense that a pelt is pelt is not so. There are prime pelts and then there are the others. Any trapper will tell you that and they do get a premium for those prime pelts.

Thanks for your answer.... So there could be a good silver tip or there could be average silver tip

0 83
 09-27-2016, 08:46 AM
User Info
(09-27-2016, 08:10 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: A good bit has to do with quality. Hand tied knots, density, and overall quality of the hair used. Just because it comes from the same area does not mean they are the same quality. Kraft and Great value both make Mac and cheese but one is better than the other. 

That being said, I will never own a $400 dollar brush. Even if I had it I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm not knocking others in anyway, it's just my personal feeling on the matter. I can get a great lather and face feel from one a fraction of the price. I think a good bit is in just being able to say you have one.

Perhaps I should have worded my question differently. I mean what makes a hair better than the other even though they are from the same part of the body of the animal

0 83
 09-27-2016, 09:03 AM
User Info
(09-27-2016, 08:32 AM)greekgod Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 08:11 AM)dikdik_s Wrote: Well its just like mazda vs a mercedes. You are paying for the brand history, quality, longevity second hand value etc.

I understand but unlike a car we don't make the hair. The hair comes from the same animal. It's an unique element

Not all badgers are the same though. Different grades of hair, hence the different knot qualities in different brush makers.

31 737
 09-27-2016, 09:23 AM
User Info
As an organic product, badger hair quality can vary from animal to animal.  No doubt different individual pelts are higher grades than others.  

That said, I believe the difference in price beyond $100 is a function of handle quality and brand.  In other words, IMHO the differences between the knot quality on an Envy White ($110) a Shavemac ($150-200) and Simpson LE ($300-400) are marginal.  What you are paying for is the feel/beauty of a certain handle, and the prestige of a brand.  That said, I do agree that top makers like Shavemac and Thater show a high degree of uniformity and consistency in their knots.

Just my $0.02

11 973
 09-27-2016, 09:27 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
$350.00

2 3,171
 09-27-2016, 10:40 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Try making a brush for yourself. Then the answer becomes more obvious.

168 1,392
 09-27-2016, 11:28 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
There is also the thorny issue of where the knot is assembled, China vs the EU. They can be assembled in China much cheaper than in the EU but you have to consider the differences in working conditions, environmental laws, labour costs, and quality control plus other factors. You can and do get good quality knots from China but I don't think as consistently as you do from the EU.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-27-2016, 11:38 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My sarcasm left a big door open. Why not just use a bargain synthetic or for that matter a discount paintbrush from the hardware store? The one constant is personal choice. I choose to use silvertip badgers in the face of other economic priorities for my face just as I resole leather dress shoes and have never owned a pair of flip flops.I don't know about $400 brushes. If I thought I'd be lusting for $185 brushes a few years ago  the prayer hot line would be getting frantic phone calls at 2 AM. Simple economics are if you want a quality knot in a quality handle with a quality
INSTALLATION to set the prefered behaviour of the knot it's going to cost alot  more than $50.

2 3,171
 09-27-2016, 01:20 PM
User Info
(09-27-2016, 11:38 AM)kav Wrote: My sarcasm left a big door open. Why not just use a bargain synthetic or for that matter a discount paintbrush from the hardware store? The one constant is personal choice. I choose to use silvertip badgers in the face of other economic priorities for my face just as I resole leather dress shoes and have never owned a pair of flip flops.I don't know about $400 brushes. If I thought I'd be lusting for $185 brushes a few years ago  the prayer hot line would be getting frantic phone calls at 2 AM. Simple economics are if you want a quality knot in a quality handle with a quality
INSTALLATION to set the prefered behaviour of the knot it's going to cost alot  more than $50.

Whoa there @kav! What's wrong with flip flops? It's my footwear of choice in Florida. Only wear leather dress shoes to weddings and funerals. More of the latter lately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 142
 09-27-2016, 01:25 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I like to find parallels with guitars. There are beginner, intermediate and pro models. Then there are custom guitars. An entry level guitar will only get you so far; just like an entry level brush. Many people will be happy using their intermediate level guitars and brushes with nary a thought to upgrade because the products perform serviceably well. Jump to your high end models and the difference is definitely there. Here, the added cost is worth it to some, not all. I think it's safe to say that while the overall quality of a $400 brush will obviously (vastly) surpass that of a $50 brush, the difference may not be as significant when comparing that same $400 brush to a $200 brush.

7 2,164
 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Whats right with them? Non recyclable, encourage a sloppy gait and matching wardrobe  and encourages the spread of fungal diseases in restaurants.

2 3,171
 09-27-2016, 02:09 PM
User Info
I'm closing this thread and walking away Piggy_214

0 596
 09-27-2016, 02:26 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
"What is routine for the spider is chaos for the fly"-Morticia Addams

2 3,171
 09-27-2016, 03:24 PM
  • tof
User Info
(09-27-2016, 10:40 AM)Steelman Wrote: Try making a brush for yourself. Then the answer becomes more obvious.

Thank you very much!

However, some manufacturers are selling on name and not the quality they once had.  These I consider overpriced. 

As a craftsman, I can appreciate quality. Like Steelman said, try it yourself. Don't just buy a cheap handle, make one and try to get a quality finish on it. Easier said than done. Then there's the knot. Yes many come from China but buy one of each and it will become obvious with quality in hair, density and the manner in which the they are glued up.  Try finding a consistent knot maker. 

I'm off my box.

1 49
 09-27-2016, 04:18 PM
User Info
(09-27-2016, 10:40 AM)Steelman Wrote: Try making a brush for yourself. Then the answer becomes more obvious.

That's exactly what I am trying to do. And it's hard to figure out where to get the knot from. As far as handle it's concerned it can be as expensive as one wants it to be. So I was thinking that's if you can get the best quality knot then you are sorted!

0 83