09-27-2016, 01:27 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have been shaving exclusively with the Wunderbar slant from Italian Barber for eight days.  At first, it was more aggressive than I thought it would be, and I would get one or two weepers. It is more aggressive than the other slants I have - 37C, 39C, Ikon 101B, Ikon 102 and the Razorock Prototype Stealth 3.  However, it is extremely smooth.  The last four or five shaves I have taken care to apply MINIMAL pressure and the shaves became weeper-free while providing excellent efficiency.  Maybe it is because it is new, but I think this provides something different from the other slants and is presently my favorite slant.  I love the combination of smoothness and efficiency.  It is about $50-$60 less expensive than the Above the Tie slant (which I have not tried) so IMHO it may provide a less expensive entry to the growing spectrum of high-end razors, and slants specifically.

1 795
 09-27-2016, 01:59 PM
User Info
Have you looked in to the PAA bakelite slant for $20. It's an accurate representation of the Fasan slant. It getting excellent reviews.

0 596
 09-27-2016, 02:18 PM
User Info
The wunderbar is currently the only razor I own. After using it for a week, I sold all the others. I love mine, but even Joe says it's not for everyone. From /u/razorock on reddit:

"Just as a reference point, the Wunderbar is designed and built for the "advanced user" in mind. It's a lot more aggressive and efficient than the Stealth, on purpose. I got hundreds and hundreds of requests for a more aggressive slant and the Wunderbar is that. It requires no pressure and for me, two passes and I'm a happy man. It's 100% definitely not for the masses, that makes it perfect for a small production piece. If I had to guess, I would say it's a razor for probably 5% of safety razor shavers. Unless a shaver has used multiple different razors, I'd leave this one alone and save your dough. There is a learning curve, it's not a shaver you want to use every 10 shaves. The man that loves this razor will probably use it for long stretches of time."

1 10
 09-27-2016, 02:58 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(09-27-2016, 01:59 PM)GreeneMD Wrote: Have you looked in to the PAA bakelite slant for $20. It's an accurate representation of the Fasan slant. It getting excellent reviews.

No I haven't b/c I'm not crazy about the idea of bakelite.  However, I have seen somewhat mixed reviews.  It's great that you found a keeper.

1 795
 09-27-2016, 02:59 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(09-27-2016, 02:18 PM)cvoss11 Wrote: The wunderbar is currently the only razor I own. After using it for a week, I sold all the others. I love mine, but even Joe says it's not for everyone. From /u/razorock on reddit:

"Just as a reference point, the Wunderbar is designed and built for the "advanced user" in mind. It's a lot more aggressive and efficient than the Stealth, on purpose. I got hundreds and hundreds of requests for a more aggressive slant and the Wunderbar is that. It requires no pressure and for me, two passes and I'm a happy man. It's 100% definitely not for the masses, that makes it perfect for a small production piece. If I had to guess, I would say it's a razor for probably 5% of safety razor shavers. Unless a shaver has used multiple different razors, I'd leave this one alone and save your dough. There is a learning curve, it's not a shaver you want to use every 10 shaves. The man that loves this razor will probably use it for long stretches of time."

I also was in communication with Joe and he told me the same thing.  I'm very glad I gave it a shot.

1 795
 09-28-2016, 09:36 AM
User Info
I don't think the Wunderbar is that aggressive at all. When used as any other razor, ie taking care of angle and pressure, it hints at aggression without getting aggressive. That is exactly what I like about this razor. It is less aggressive than the PAA bakelite slant or the Maggard slant for instance. It does deliver great shaves. But "only for 5% of shavers" ... Really, folks.

3 104
 09-28-2016, 09:53 AM
User Info
(09-27-2016, 01:59 PM)GreeneMD Wrote: Have you looked in to the PAA bakelite slant for $20. It's an accurate representation of the Fasan slant. It getting excellent reviews.

Just got one, myself.  I've only used it on my head so far, but was pleasantly surprised with results.

1 201
 09-28-2016, 12:15 PM
User Info
(09-28-2016, 09:36 AM)efsk Wrote: I don't think the Wunderbar is that aggressive at all. When used as any other razor, ie taking care of angle and pressure, it hints at aggression without getting aggressive. That is exactly what I like about this razor. It is less aggressive than the PAA bakelite slant or the Maggard slant for instance. It does deliver great shaves. But "only for 5% of shavers" ... Really, folks.

I don't buy the 5% either. I'm not sure why anyone, especially a vendor would say that. The wunderbar would work great for anyone who is capable of using a light touch. It's by far the most efficient razor I've ever used. I never have to go over areas twice and most of the time I don't need any touch ups.

1 10
 09-28-2016, 03:34 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
I agree...a light touch is the key.  When dialed in, the efficiency and smoothness is highly commendable.  Kudos to Joe.

1 795
 09-29-2016, 02:50 AM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
I would like to share some thoughts about the Razorock Wunderbar Slant Razor.

I was lucky enough to place an order for this razor when it was available on the Italianbarber site for a short period about three weeks ago. I received the razor a week ago after paying around extra 44 GBP in VAT, import- and handling fees to Danish Customs.

The razor came in a non-spectacular black Razorock card box and wrapped in tissue paper. No discussion, this could be done better. On the other hand, first impression of the razor itself was really good. Both handle and head of the razor are made of machined stainless steel, with a polished finish. The surface quality of the polished areas is god but it is not on the level of f.ex. Timeless Razors who delivers almost mirror polished parts. This said, we should mention at the same time that these two razors come with different price tags too. Very positive is the finishing of the head, all surfaces of the head are polished; there are no areas on baseplate and top cap showing any machining marks. Similar to vintage German Slants razors, the Wunderbar head twists the blade quite a bit. There is significant more twist on the Wunderbar head than f.ex. on the ATT S1 or S2 heads. Blade alignment is spot on as baseplate and top cap fit together perfectly and tight. The head is relative wide and covers the blade completely, no flaps exposed. Perhaps an interesting fact to mention is that the edges of the top cap and the cutting edges of the blade not are parallel when the blade is loaded correctly. If I recall right, some batches of the ATT slant heads had the same. The handle of the Wunderbar comes with a classic look, knurling is nicely pronounced and offers good grip even with wet and soapy hands. At the bottom end, the handle gets slightly wider which looks good and feels good in hand. All in all the razor feels hefty, solid and well balanced, craftsmanship and quality are good so the impression is positive.

Until now, I got two shaves with the Wunderbar. First shave was with a Bolzano Superinox blade while I used a Kai Stainless blade for the second shave. I am quite happy how the razor preforms, IMO it is an efficient piece of equipment but comes also with a certain amount of aggressiveness. Using my standard 3-pass routine results in extremely close shaves but the razor bite also two times under the first shave. The Wunderbar feels present on the skin every moment of the shave, which caused me minor skin irritation, especially on the neck which is a my general truble spot. To avoid this, I will reduce to two passes only for the sensible areas in the future. There was no drag of the razor during both uses as the top cap comes with a smooth surface. Anyway, while the first shave with the Bolzano blade was good, I was able to achieve the same efficient result a more comfortable way with the milder Kai blade under the second use without more efforts.

Until now, I am very happy with this razor. Next is to use some of the popular Russian blades and experiment with custom handles. I am expecting even better shaves with this razor in the future, as I did not reached the end of the learning curve now.

Best Regards

Marco

7 214
 09-29-2016, 06:43 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(09-29-2016, 02:50 AM)motto Wrote: I would like to share some thoughts about the Razorock Wunderbar Slant Razor.

I was lucky enough to place an order for this razor when it was available on the Italianbarber site for a short period about three weeks ago. I received the razor a week ago after paying around extra 44 GBP in VAT, import- and handling fees to Danish Customs...

Until now, I am very happy with this razor. Next is to use some of the popular Russian blades and experiment with custom handles. I am expecting even better shaves with this razor in the future, as I did not reached the end of the learning curve now.

Best Regards

Marco

One of the blades I have used to test the Wunderbar is the Voskhod, and it worked exceptionally well.  The other blade I used was the Astra SP, which was also very good, but not quite as smooth, which I found a bit surprising.

1 795
 09-29-2016, 07:35 AM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
(09-29-2016, 06:43 AM)Teddyboy Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 02:50 AM)motto Wrote: I would like to share some thoughts about the Razorock Wunderbar Slant Razor.

I was lucky enough to place an order for this razor when it was available on the Italianbarber site for a short period about three weeks ago. I received the razor a week ago after paying around extra 44 GBP in VAT, import- and handling fees to Danish Customs...

Best Regards

Marco

One of the blades I have used to test the Wunderbar is the Voskhod, and it worked exceptionally well.  The other blade I used was the Astra SP, which was also very good, but not quite as smooth, which I found a bit surprising.

I have to Vokshod on the list together with Ladas and Rapiras. I might try Polsilver too.

Marco

7 214
 09-30-2016, 01:01 PM
User Info
O.K gents,

you got me curious with this wunderbar slant, so I put my name down on the Italian barber waiting list (also on the SE as it's cheap).
I shave with the Ikon X3 slant and the fat boy. I do prefer the Gillette FB but the slant is also exceptional. Has anyone done a comparison test on the Wunderbar and the X3? I'd like to know before I blow my $100 plus out the window.

0 283
 09-30-2016, 01:32 PM
User Info
To put things in perspective: I don't like the Fatboy. Seem to get mediocre or somewhat better at best shaves with it.
The Wunderbar gives a hint of aggression whilst shaving without ever becoming aggressive. That makes it a fun razor to shave with. It's also effective so that's two very important and good things in the razor.
The X3 is effective but a bit too tame to my liking. So if money is not a problem, I'd say get the Wunderbar.

3 104
 09-30-2016, 02:08 PM
User Info
(09-30-2016, 01:32 PM)efsk Wrote: To put things in perspective: I don't like the Fatboy. Seem to get mediocre or somewhat better at best shaves with it.
The Wunderbar gives a hint of aggression whilst shaving without ever becoming aggressive. That makes it a fun razor to shave with. It's also effective so that's two very important and good things in the razor.
The X3 is effective but a bit too tame to my liking. So if money is not a problem, I'd say get the Wunderbar.

Thank you efsk for the information, I do wish the X3 was a bit more aggressive although it does cut me sometimes. I think it's because I look for a bit of more aggressiveness and I tend to press a little more than I should.
I'll sleep lighter now that I have a good case spending the money on it.

0 283
 09-30-2016, 02:17 PM
User Info
I've only shaved with the Wunderbar a couple of times, and I agree that it's an aggressive, but not uncomfortable razor. 

Very efficient, of course. I find it more aggressive than the vintage Hoffritz and Lutz slants I use sometimes, more comfortable than the Merkur Slant, and slightly more aggressive but less comfortable than my go-to slant, the original Ikon Stainless Slant.

All in all, a very solid-feeling, good-performing slant.

No issues with irritation, etc., and I used a new Feather Platinum for each of the shaves with it.

23 634
 10-01-2016, 12:15 AM
User Info
(09-30-2016, 01:32 PM)efsk Wrote: To put things in perspective: I don't like the Fatboy. Seem to get mediocre or somewhat better at best shaves with it.

I respect the fact you don't like the Fat Boy and it's perfectly acceptable. It has a huge following though which makes me think maybe yours is  of out of adjustment. Also not every FB shaves the same. I read somewhere that someone was collecting FBs and keeping the best shavers among them.
If you tried several, then I rest my case.

0 283
 10-01-2016, 05:05 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Used both kept the X3. The Ikon is a favorite up there with the Webers.

The vendor says the Wunderbar is for advanced/experienced DE shavers. 25 years using DE's lands me in that group. I just found it to be too aggressive, and more importantly, uncomfortable.

42 1,041
 10-02-2016, 02:04 AM
User Info
@kyproset: one fatboy, one superspeed, several slims. None worked for me. I've decided the Gillette adjustables are just not for me.

3 104
 10-02-2016, 02:31 AM
User Info
(10-02-2016, 02:04 AM)efsk Wrote: @kyproset: one fatboy, one superspeed, several slims. None worked for me. I've decided the Gillette adjustables are just not for me.

I respectfully rest my case.

0 283