09-28-2016, 04:47 AM
User Info
I have one of the printers in question. I bought it outright and to save printing costs I use brand x cartridges; lately with problems. Here's why. The printer updates the software automatically. HP has deliberately sabotaged their business printers to force us to buy their ink. I print a lot. I have to save costs to keep prices down.

Can anyone guess how many HP products I'll buy in the future? This is like "I Robot".

>>>> click here <<<<

32 6,459
 09-28-2016, 05:41 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
That sucks. After 25 years of using HP printers, I switched to Brother laser printers. I rarely need to print in color, and I have an inexpensive color printer when I do, and have successfully used generic laser cartridges. I also print a lot, and switching to lasers and the ability to use generic cartridges has saved a lot.

38 5,108
 09-28-2016, 06:01 AM
User Info
Switching to laser was the best thing I have done for printing at home.

My wife is a teacher and she will print at home during the school year. After replacing multiple inkjet printers for years and eating the costs of cartridges and the frustration that goes with them I finally took the longer view and switched.

We took the last inkjet printer outside and gave it the Office Space send off. It was cathartic.

9 1,407
 09-28-2016, 06:18 AM
User Info
Inkjet printers are a giant waste of money for me anyway. I rarely need to print anything, and when I do, the ink has been dried up(yes this has happened to me on more than one occasion) Now I just go to Kinko's if I need something (very very rare). That thing is only used as a scanner anymore...

7 326
 09-28-2016, 06:29 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
2006 HP charged in California for spying on investigative journalists and company employees violating several laws and  minor documents called the Constitution and Bill of Rights

2016 HP  cooperating with the NSA spying on  customers.

We have a forum for fountain pen lovers. Check it out, yesterday's internet for today.

2 3,171
 09-29-2016, 12:19 AM
User Info
Epson isn't any better. I saw a video where a professional print shop opened a "under 2% remaining" cartridge that the printer required replacement of.. and measured about 10% left inside. And the pro ones were hundreds of dollars per color (CYMV).

I too switched to Brother laser printers after college (2003) and they are way cheaper!

6 741
 09-29-2016, 12:54 AM
User Info
I print once in a blue moon, and gave my laser and ink-jet to my father 3 years ago.
I have been using 'his' printer 3-4 times during that period - mostly when I need to print a label for UPS/Fed EX guy  Biggrin

Everything is email, pdf and doc files these days anyway.

24 5,965
 09-29-2016, 04:57 AM
User Info
kav, you miss the point. They did this AFTER selling us these printers, not before. I also don't have the option of using pen and paper. Guttenberg invented the printing press hundreds of years ago and even that would be too time consuming for me. It's not unusual for me to print 500 sheets in one day over and above orders and invoices, and costs have to be contained.

When this printer poops itself I'll have to look into lasers again, but the last time I did a color laser printer was out of the question. I print my stuff in color. I also tried to outsource my printing but it was too expensive. I suspect I'll try to find an office type printer with ink tanks that I fill. I know they're made for photo printers, maybe for what I want also. I did hear about one printer that has ink tanks so large that it comes installed with enough ink for a year of office printing. I just can't remember the brand.

32 6,459
 09-29-2016, 05:58 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I didn't miss the point. People were,are ignorant of gross assaults on our freedoms by corporations but cry foul over product issues. Both are unacceptable.

2 3,171
 09-29-2016, 06:35 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
After years of buying only HP printers for work and home, happy I bought a Brother b/w laser.

I bought a HP cartridge off eBay - years past the expiration date.  Printer notified me of the issue including a warning and then the option to continue.  I will admit to spending the next hour or two cleaning the print heads - my fault and not HP's.

HP already will stop all printing if a color is low (near did understand why b/w printing was impacted a low Cyan cartridge).  HP does have the option to be user friendly.    Printing is not cheap.  While there are good and bad replacement cartridges, make the non-HP cartridge use optional or prohibited only on new printers.

FYI - my last color HP printer (8500 series ??) cost $250 on sale and lasted under 6,000 copies.

4 390
 09-29-2016, 06:40 AM
User Info
I've had the same Canon inkjet since 2008. I only print in black and use super cheap cartridges from Amazon. Hopefully the ol' gal doesn't die on me anytime soon.

0 638
 09-29-2016, 06:43 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Apparently wet shavers were not the only ones unhappy with HP.  Firmware update to be reversed.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hp-backtrac...4649219446

4 390
 09-29-2016, 07:08 AM
User Info
What a terribly written article. Must have been printed out of an HP printer.

Funny how they claim to be a young company. Restructuring makes you young? Didn't seem to mind the brand equity and years of customer recognition that using the HP name got in sales. Make a big faux pas and you're simply having baby steps or growing pains? Disgusting.

They make pretty decent PCs lately though.

9 1,407
 09-29-2016, 07:10 AM
User Info
 09-29-2016, 09:21 AM
User Info
(09-29-2016, 04:57 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: When this printer poops itself I'll have to look into lasers again, but the last time I did a color laser printer was out of the question. I print my stuff in color. 

I shifted to a colour laser (a HP LaserJet Pro 400 color M451dn, for what it's worth) back in 2012, because the cost of running was less than an inkjet once I factored in the cost of ink - YMMV in the US and all that. Between 300 and 500 pages a month, and only halfway on my second set of toner cartridges.

In my experience the highest cost when it comes to inkjets is the ink (more costly than gold per ounce), and if you loose the ability to use third party ink that changes the math to a significant degree.

3 4,486
 09-29-2016, 10:32 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Mine is the last HP printer I'll ever buy.  Vote with your wallets.  Angry

47 1,924
 09-29-2016, 01:52 PM
User Info
HP laserjets used to be built like tanks, but that ceased long ago. I've kept using their printer paper because it never jams, but when my last ream runs out I won't be restocking with it.

29 1,776
 09-29-2016, 07:04 PM
User Info
Thanx for the update.

Their reasons sound like BS to me. It was profit pure and simple. I'll take their fixing of the problem they created, then I'm going to figure out a way to get the printer off the internet. Phooey on 'em. I'll lose full functionality, but HP will never have their meddling hands in this printer again. The article basically said that they'll do it again. And yes, it's the last HP product I'll ever buy. Yeah, I appreciated their screwing with my printer to give me the full satisfaction of the HP experience. We're supposed to believe that load of manure.

32 6,459