09-28-2016, 07:22 AM
User Info
As many beginners  i started my wet shaving with proraso green tub. i was excited from the lathering process , the ease of lathering, the smell, the menthol effect.
at the same time i was disappointed to find the glide not so smooth , the lack of slickness and the post shave dryness.
I  assumed the fault was my newbie technic.  since then i learn to enjoy cella, valobra, tobs and others.
yesterday i decided to give proraso another go.  Bad!!! poor glide, not much protection, zero slickness and lousy post shave feel. as much as i like italian soft soaps
i think that proraso green is very mediocre at best. many argue that this is a decent soap for  the low cost but price aside , i don't
 think it is a good soap.
anyways the green is out of my rotation.

0 16
 09-28-2016, 08:21 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I Think it's ok. I shave with a straight and find glide is ok. More water more soap until a gooey yogurt lather has been created.

9 462
 09-28-2016, 08:32 AM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
Hmmm . . . agree with jtmke. I'm fond of Proraso Green. It's been a standard in this hot, humid New York summer. My technique is also new, and after 50+ shaves I can say that getting a proper slickness/cushion with any decent soap is a long (but pleasurable) process of trial and error. I can't really comment on post-shave dryness, as I am using a pre-shave oil, an aftershave balm, and a (frequently glycerin laced) splash.

----------
Spike

0 107
 09-28-2016, 09:08 AM
User Info
I haven't used it in years.  I recall that it was ok, but not great.  I did prefer the cream in the tube to the soap in the green tub.

50 6,413
 09-28-2016, 10:26 AM
User Info
Proraso to me is a quality , classic cream/soap that has nice scents and good performance. It's always got a spot in my den and green happens to be my second favorite right behind red.

63 1,596
 09-28-2016, 11:19 AM
User Info
Before starting shaving with DE i shaved only with proraso foaming shaving cream (canned) for about 20 years. i also used the pre e dopo barba
and the aftershave. all were excellent products. visiting Italy frequently  i knew the green soap will be the one to start since everyone uses it and it can be found in any shop or supermarket.
therefor i probably had my expectations too high leading to disappointment.  i was surprised how easy it was for a newbie to produce quick and beautiful lather but the shave itself was lacking.
it was made more obvious after i started using mostly cella that is a fur better soap. price wise in italy proraso cost 2 euro and cella 4 euro. both very affordable and for the price difference i would choose cella anytime.

0 16
 09-29-2016, 01:00 AM
User Info
Worst performer in my den, but I still keep all 7 Proraso creams/Soaps in my den, as they still perform pretty good for me and they are classics.

I find, that the red, white and blue performs better than the green - soaps or cream, but the green is just the classic and I use it from time to time, perhaps twice a year.......

I'd rate it 6.5/10 for performance, pretty good, but not great.

24 6,018
 09-29-2016, 04:46 AM
User Info
I haven't tried the soap but have tried the creams (green, red and blue tubes) and found them to be as good as the Gillette foam.

0 132
 09-29-2016, 05:38 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I find the green soap a decent performer even when using a straight razor. I like the Blue cream very much and certainly better then any shave shaving foam in a can.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-29-2016, 06:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I must be the odd duck out.  Proraso Green has always been one of favorite product lines.  I have used it for many, many years with great results.

[Image: IATHNIf.jpg]

179 23,925
 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM
User Info
The green cream was one of my fist wet shave products.  I found it to be adequate, but I can't comment on the tub.  It does have a bit of a drying effect and when I combined it with the green preshave it was either dried my skin too much or it was too much menthol for me too handle and it gave me a rash on my cheeks.

0 115
 09-29-2016, 09:53 AM
User Info
I will always have a Proraso Green in my den, I like the scent, menthol and performance, and as others have said, it's a classic.

18 468
 09-29-2016, 10:23 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
After posting to this thread I thought I would use it again as it has been awhile since I used it last. Face lathered the green soap with a boar brush and had a nice smooth 3 pass shave with a straight razor. Post shave alum use revealed no irritation. If you get the soap to water ratio right it does seem to have good glide.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-29-2016, 04:05 PM
User Info
It's pretty decent soap. If you mix it wet enough, it gives a plenty slick shave. I just can't stand the darn white film it leaves on everything. It isn't so bad to get it off a razor, but I don't like imagining it buried in my brushes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 404
 09-30-2016, 01:18 AM
User Info
(09-29-2016, 04:05 PM)PickledNorthern Wrote: It's pretty decent soap. If you mix it wet enough, it gives a plenty slick shave. I just can't stand the darn white film it leaves on everything. It isn't so bad to get it off a razor, but I don't like imagining it buried in my brushes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1
I have no problems with the soaps performance, I always enjoy the shave. However cleaning up the soap scum from everything is not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,318
 09-30-2016, 02:35 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
If you like the scent but not the soap, why not try the tube? Or, go red. P-Red enables (imo) better shaves. It's slicker, with (again, imo) better post shave.

7 2,355
 09-30-2016, 03:26 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I think its a good performer. Not top tier, but neither is the price. I rotate soaps weekly, and I enjoyed Proraso enough last week to give it a second week.  Biggrin

Today's SOTD

[Image: jwICrWe.jpg]

76 1,393
 10-01-2016, 08:09 PM
User Info
I went from not liking it due to post shave dryness to revisiting after many months and loving it.  I found that I wasn't lathering long enough and (probably more importantly) not wetting the lather enough.  

As long as I rinse thoroughly and use Nivea Sensitive post shave balm I have no more issues with dryness.

Having said that, you might try Proraso red.  I am not a fan of the scent but the performance (especially the post shave) is very impressive.  Wish the green had its performance.  I suspect it is the shea butter.

0 42
 10-01-2016, 09:10 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
There is a reason many on this forum have more soaps than a DC callgirl congressional cellphone numbers. There's something for everybody. Or, as I told a Oakland CA working girl who  swore at me for refusing to take her to church ' sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me'.

2 3,171
 10-02-2016, 10:26 AM
User Info
Just used the red soap and the green creams again this weekend, and while the red does perform great, the green is kind of average for me, but not bad, but average.

But one thing I haven't paying attention to before, despite my OCD, is the white film both left on my brush, razor and in the sink.

This white film could make me get rid of all the new 7 Proraso's in my den (I have backups of these I use for now, because I use them for breaking in boars (and rougher badgers))

But it will always be a classic, and you have to respect it for that reason.

24 6,018