User Info
Sure ain't like it used to be.

7 243
 08-04-2012, 07:59 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I agree...I find that I really do not care at all about the Olympics any more.

45 16,359
 08-04-2012, 08:03 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-04-2012, 07:59 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I agree...I find that I really do not care at all about the Olympics any more.

+1 What's the point? Like any major league "sport" it's nothing but big business.

2 11,211
 08-04-2012, 08:07 PM
User Info
I do really like swimming, Missy Franklin turns down endorsement money so she can swim on her high school team. She's a class act.Thumbsup

2 805
 08-04-2012, 08:08 PM
User Info
Come on guys. I know what y'all are getting at, but did y'all see the British gal when the heptathalon, the super star Phelps fighting back tears during the medal ceremony, a Chinese guy with an Australian coach obliterating the world record in the 1500?

Yes, now that pros are in the Olympics I do get a big kick out of a country like Lithuania giving our pros a run in basketball.

31 7,914
 08-04-2012, 08:13 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(08-04-2012, 08:07 PM)sunflake Wrote: I do really like swimming, Missy Franklin turns down endorsement money so she can swim on her high school team. She's a class act.Thumbsup

I agree that she is a class act. Too bad that is the exception and not the rule. Extrinsic rewards seem to be the calling card these days. Even the medals themselves bring monetary rewards...$50,000 for a Gold Medal, $25,000 for a silver and $10,000 for a bronze. So much for amateur sports.

I have nothing against pro sports per se...it just should not be the olympics.

45 16,359
 08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
User Info
(08-04-2012, 08:13 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-04-2012, 08:07 PM)sunflake Wrote: I do really like swimming, Missy Franklin turns down endorsement money so she can swim on her high school team. She's a class act.Thumbsup

I agree that she is a class act. Too bad that is the exception and not the rule. Extrinsic rewards seem to be the calling card these days. Even the medals themselves bring monetary rewards...$50,000 for a Gold Medal, $25,000 for a silver and $10,000 for a bronze. So much for amateur sports.

nothing motivates people more than a monetary incentive to be the best that they can physically be.

40 5,830
 08-04-2012, 09:44 PM
User Info
Either way it's sure hard for me not to watch and pull for the home team.

2 805
 08-05-2012, 02:07 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I don't watch the Olympics anymore. Between the pro athletes and the new made-up events, it's not worth tuning in.

0 204
 08-05-2012, 02:20 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You can thank the Russians for starting the whole thing with pro athletes participating in the Olympics. Also there is a lot of steroid use and nobody cares because it all about the bucks.

100 12,450
 08-05-2012, 02:34 PM
User Info
I think that horse left the barn long ago. Does anyone remember the Soviet hockey teams? At least it's a level playing field again.

I will say that the noble notion of 'all amateur' would be nice. Nonetheless I'm liking it. If only it were warmer for girls beach volleyball.Biggrin

One of the things I don't like is how the IOC is changing the the individual sports events. Badminton? Ping-pong? Air pistol? What happened to baseball? Where is the Womens softball? And why, oh why, are no more than two gymnasts from a given team allowed to participate in the overall, even though the third may be better than those from another team? Actually, I think I have the answer to that one.

edit to clarify

2 546
 08-05-2012, 06:00 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(08-05-2012, 02:34 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: I think that horse left the barn long ago. Does anyone remember the Soviet hockey teams? At least it's a level playing field again.

I will say that the noble notion of 'all amateur' would be nice. Nonetheless I'm liking it. If only it were warmer for girls beach volleyball.Biggrin

One of the things I don't like is how the IOC is changing the the individual sports events. Badminton? Ping-pong? Air pistol? What happened to baseball? Where is the Womens softball? And why, oh why, are no more than two gymnasts from a given team allowed to participate in the overall, even though the third may be better than those from another team? Actually, I think I have the answer to that one.

edit to clarify

That is how I feel about it. I think we should have let our pro's play a long time ago.

7 1,018
 08-05-2012, 08:46 PM
User Info
(08-05-2012, 06:00 PM)Sully Wrote:
(08-05-2012, 02:34 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: I think that horse left the barn long ago. Does anyone remember the Soviet hockey teams? At least it's a level playing field again.

edit to clarify

That is how I feel about it. I think we should have let our pro's play a long time ago.

+1

Professional athletes are simply the best of the amateur athletes with additional training and experience. Why not allow the very best to compete?

0 303
 08-06-2012, 04:40 AM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
Now Phil,,, I bet you wouldn't feel this way if they had an "Olympic Speedy Shipping" event. Get your paper work ready, you pro ! AaaaaAaaaa

(08-04-2012, 08:13 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

18 281
 08-06-2012, 06:25 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I want to know when "texting" is going to be an Olympic sport.....

On a personal level, I don't want the Olympics for various reasons.

7 405
 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
User Info
I'm only interested in what I consider classic Olympic events: Track & field, swimming races, and in a class by itself, the marathon. I don't like weight lifting, but consider it a classic olympic sport. What I think works in the Olympic Games is a race or event where someone runs or swims (skis, skates...) faster than the competition, jumps higher, throws farther, or lifts more. Judging is only to police clear fouls and/or cheating ... not to determine final results.

Although I respect and admire the athletes, I don't watch or follow judged events (gymnastics, ice skating, diving, etc.) including boxing, fencing, wrestling, and the like. I love team sports, but not in the Olympics.

0 140
 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM
User Info
I don't get why some sports in the Olympics seem to permit professional athletes (e.g. Basketball, Tennis) while others (Wrestling) don't. Could someone explain it to me please?

0 95
 08-08-2012, 02:25 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(08-07-2012, 04:40 PM)raag Wrote: I don't get why some sports in the Olympics seem to permit professional athletes (e.g. Basketball, Tennis) while others (Wrestling) don't. Could someone explain it to me please?
That's relatively simple: if anyone is any good at a sport that is professionalised, they turn professional and earn a living from their sport. They would be daft not to. So, all the non-professional players in a high-earning sports (baseball, football, soccer) are the ones who can't make the cut.

When a sport does not have a lot of money associated with it (weight-lifting), everyone is an amateur.

So when it comes to the olympics, you either have the best athletes (as it is now) or all amateurs, which means that the level of competition is significantly reduced. I guess someone took a pragmatic view and decided that the audience would rather see the best athletes competing rather than just the best amateurs.

1 290
 08-08-2012, 03:35 AM
User Info
(08-08-2012, 02:25 AM)Persius Wrote: So when it comes to the olympics, you either have the best athletes (as it is now) or all amateurs, which means that the level of competition is significantly reduced. I guess someone took a pragmatic view and decided that the audience would rather see the best athletes competing rather than just the best amateurs.

Full ack.

0 112
 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM
User Info
Usain Bolt - the Man.

185 12,010