09-29-2016, 01:01 PM
User Info
Who just bought the new Stirling 26mm Finest Badger brush, currently on sale...?

I did!  (The Black One) 

Damn if I need a new brush but I have the first one (24mm) and really like it.  If the knot is anything like the one on the recently-reviewed prototype of the 24mm Fan model coming soon, then it should be awesome. 

Will report back...!

11 973
 09-29-2016, 01:03 PM
User Info
Really liked the last offering, picked up an extra Ivory 26mm yesterday. I For the price, it's a great performer.

23 632
 09-29-2016, 04:18 PM
User Info
The black one, with the lower 54mm loft, seems to be the one to get if you want some backbone.  Let us know your thoughts about the quality of both the knot and the handle.

50 6,049
 10-02-2016, 03:51 AM
User Info
Got mine on the way , hopefully those M7 style fan brushes are coming in soon as well.

60 1,507
 10-04-2016, 03:47 AM
User Info
Hmm.. I am tempted but I am waiting for the butterscotch version..

11 1,169
 10-04-2016, 07:26 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
My 2 Stirling brushes arrived yesterday. 26 x 54 (26 1/2 x 54 1/2), 26 x 58 (a little over 27, a drop under 58). I cleaned them last night and faced lathered to feel the tips, backbone and density. I got up earlier then usual this morning and shaved with both of them.[Image: oruE4tM.jpg]

Here is my early opinion. The 54 has soft tips, lots of backbone and strong density, in my opinion an improved Chubby. The 58 has beautiful pillow tips, because of the loft height the backbone and density are still powerful yet the brush is more flexible. Other then not having any choice for handle and color the knot is spectacular for the price , if you like such a knot. The knot is better then some brushes that i own that cost many times more.

The biggest issue is going to be consistency in knot quality. Maybe I got 2 beautiful brushes and when I order again to transplant the knot to another handle the knot may not be the same quality (i have raved about other knots in the past and purchased those knots or brushes again only to find that the knot was not the same quality. All this is just my opinion.

I do hope that the future stirling brush that has been reviewed here in Butterscotch also comes in a fan

51 432
 10-04-2016, 04:59 PM
User Info
I just got the black brush and wow, lush.

36 892
 10-04-2016, 05:22 PM
User Info
That handle shape just doesn't do it for me.  Undecided

@bijou I didn't think about transplanting the knot.  Smile

I have the 24mm and the knot in it is totally nice. A bit more lofty than I normally like but it works well with the density and hair type. I got it second hand unused but lathered and the funk is seriously tenacious. Faint but oddly off putting. Been lathering it daily for several days and I can't shake it. Nearly there. Just really unique and not in a good way. 

I'll have to get a larger handle for it and pick up the 26mm version too.
Thumbsup

9 1,407
 10-04-2016, 05:31 PM
User Info
Ok, I need to get a few more uses under my belt but here's an early impression: the black handle knot is denser and thicker than the 24mm brush.  The tips are not quite as fine and silky soft as my Paladin Select, but the knot feels soft and and scrubby when wet.  Again, in my experience these Stirling Brushes are legit 2 band brushes and the best value in badger brushes.

11 973
 10-04-2016, 07:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
The handle is reminiscent of a Duke 3. How does it feel in the hand?

7 2,121
 10-04-2016, 08:03 PM
User Info
Hi Charlie-

The handle definitely is heavier and more substantial than the 24 mm ivory brush.  It has good heft and is comfortable for face lathering.  So I think size and weight are good.  

In terms of how it feels in the hand, I would say good but not great.  A fairly generic shape.  It's not as pleasant feeling and beautiful as my Rooney style 1 size 2, but its better than the handle on my VL Epsilon.  And for 33 dollars, its an amazing deal.  Again, I don't know where you can find a better deal.

11 973
 10-05-2016, 02:26 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Thanks, surfshaver Smile

7 2,121
 10-05-2016, 03:31 AM
User Info
I just got the black one.  I had a chance to use it once so far and I am really impressed.  Keep in mind I have only one other badger brush - a Doug Korn with a much smaller knot.  

The large knot on the Sterling brush is incredible and for the money - can't be beat.

4 465
 10-05-2016, 04:38 AM
User Info
I ordered a 26mm ivory and like it so much I ordered the black one as well.

0 52
 10-05-2016, 05:51 AM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Do they got gel tips?

5 527
 10-05-2016, 06:25 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I used the 54 for the 3rd time this morning. I found that the brush I have has very nice soft tips that are starting to curl, no scritch at all. The brush has excellent backbone, mild scrub not the heavier scrub of my Simpson Manchurians which has a stiffer tip feel. The handle is OK,  but for the price the overall brush is outstanding. When I first cleaned the brush it shed one hair and not another one since.

The brush had a slight smell to it. I cleaned it with a mild dish soap detergent then soaked it in vinagor for 10 minutes, then I lathered the brush with a soap with the strongest fragrance, then palm and face lathered, no more funky smell. Between the 54 and 58 I perfer the 58, but i,m not throwing out the 54.

51 432
 10-05-2016, 08:56 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(10-04-2016, 05:22 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: That handle shape just doesn't do it for me.  Undecided

I have the 24mm and the knot in it is totally nice. A bit more lofty than I normally like but it works well with the density and hair type. I got it second hand unused but lathered and the funk is seriously tenacious. Faint but oddly off putting. Been lathering it daily for several days and I can't shake it. Nearly there. Just really unique and not in a good way. 

Thumbsup

I agree with the uninspiring handle shape.  I am going to just hold off and see what else Stirling comes out with, hopefully that M7 comes to market.

144 2,745
 10-05-2016, 10:50 AM
User Info
(10-05-2016, 08:56 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 05:22 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: That handle shape just doesn't do it for me.  Undecided

Thumbsup

I agree with the uninspiring handle shape.  I am going to just hold off and see what else Stirling comes out with, hopefully that M7 comes to market.
Dave, I have it from Rod directly that the M7 style brush will be out in the next month or two.  If I weren't in line for a Varlet, I'd get it in a heartbeat.  Oh well to be honest I may get it anyway...;-)

11 973
 10-07-2016, 11:49 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
The 26 x 58 has slightly less backbone and a softer face feel then the 54 because of the higher loft. Both Bushes have a very full dense knot feel, not a cheap feel but a well thought out product that delivers. Now my preference is always higher lofts. Now as an example of consistence of quality, I have 2 Nat Clark's knots that are just beautiful and have purchased 3 other NC knots that did not compare and I sold them. 

I feel for $33-39 you can't go wrong and if you took a blind lather test you will hold these Stirling in high regard. But because of the knowledge of the extremely low cost, passable handle and lack of pedigree most people would feel and especially unconsciously, that the brush would be of lower quality, which is not true. Now what does this say about all the money I have spent as well as invested in Brushes? I am just to stupidily addicted.

51 432
 10-07-2016, 12:14 PM
User Info
Received mine today , this brush had considerably less natural odor than the initial stirling finest I received last month. The brush is dense and has an ideal setting that allows the knot to splay in a luxurious manor while still maintaining itself with adequate backbone for a face lather. The hair is very nice and imo a step above the popular knots sold in this price range. The hair is very soft and has the slippery feel when wet , and the face feel is very nice without any noticeable scratch. The tips to me are not springy and have a very relaxed manner while lathering. I really like the loft on this one , the lower variety. The handle is clean and has a good weight to it , the size fits my hand nicely although I do prefer a bit more overall diameter in my shaving brush handles (CH3) and beyond is where I reside. My thoughts on these new brushes are pretty simple , I think this is great for such nice performing brushes to be offered at these prices. Now a quality badger is offered at a quality synth or quality boar price (all within a very small window). Great job Stirling for putting this together , looking forward to the next one.

60 1,507