09-30-2016, 10:31 PM
User Info
hello Smile
I have a few question
1. Can I use in eau de toilette instead of aftershave ???
2. If I use only in eau de toilette after the shaving have a problem with that ??? Does it give me enough disinfection ??

3. Where there is more percentage of alcohol in aftershave or in Eau de toilette?

Thank you very much !

0 65
 09-30-2016, 10:47 PM
User Info
To address the last first; there is no fixed amount of alcohol in aftershave - one of my favourites has no alcohol at all. Often the alcohol is just there as a carrier for the essential oils.

An aftershave doesn't have to be a disinfectant, it's as commonly (or even more commonly) used for toning your skin, adding moisture, adding a nice scent... or all four.

So yes, you can use eau de toilette _as_ an aftershave. You might want to see if your favourite scent comes as an aftershave though, considering the other functions an aftershave often have.

3 4,675
 10-01-2016, 12:45 AM
User Info
Sure you can. But EDT & EDC tend to have more alcohol and fragrance in them, so be careful. Just be careful.

24 6,018
 10-01-2016, 02:52 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
If you want a disinfectant or astringent before EdT try Thayers or something similar. I use EdT as an aftershave when aftershave is not available like Eucris by GFT.

9 462
 10-01-2016, 03:23 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(10-01-2016, 12:45 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Sure you can. But EDT & EDC tend to have more alcohol and fragrance in them, so be careful. Just be careful.

What he said. I wouldn't recommend it. Be prepared if you do.

7 2,359
 10-01-2016, 04:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
If you do use the EdT as an aftershave, please do not get in an elevator with me. Tongue

46 18,620
 10-01-2016, 04:09 PM
User Info
4711 is the only thing I have used the cologne over the aftershave as an actual aftershave.

10 1,455
 10-01-2016, 04:16 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-01-2016, 04:09 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: 4711 is the only thing I have used the cologne over the aftershave as an actual aftershave.

Alt Innsbruck is also technically a cologne but it works great as an aftershave

46 18,620
 10-01-2016, 10:46 PM
User Info
Do most high volume, factory produced aftershaves contain fragrance oils or are more of them starting to use essential oils only? I figure because they are probably much more expensive to sell genuine aftershave using EOs. I always liked using Pitralon since we are talking about nice fragrance.

81 1,368
 10-02-2016, 03:20 AM
User Info
(10-01-2016, 04:16 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-01-2016, 04:09 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: 4711 is the only thing I have used the cologne over the aftershave as an actual aftershave.

Alt Innsbruck is also technically a cologne but it works great as an aftershave

Am using Alt innsbruck as an aftershave and in this utter confusion I have ordered Acca Kappa Cedro Edc and I Coloniali Edt to be used an as aftershave. Don't know what was I thinking while placing the order? The stuff is enroute.

I am not sure if I should be using the stuff as an aftershave. Any inputs please...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 849
 10-02-2016, 06:04 PM
User Info
Some differing opinions on this topic, but I've read that using an EDT or EDC as an aftershave probably isn't a good idea as they contain much more perfume oils, than an AS. The perfume oils in a EDT or EDC can clog your pores, and probably isn't too great for your skin. From what I understand, this is the main detriment; it has nothing to do with alcohol or water content. Also, because of the increased perfume oil content, the scent would be much stronger than using an AS; just picture how much AS you actually splash onto your face after a shave, versus the 2 or 3 sprays of a cologne or EDT that you would normally spritz onto yourself.

0 7
 10-02-2016, 08:23 PM
User Info
(10-02-2016, 06:04 PM)walklikeaduck Wrote: Some differing opinions on this topic, but I've read that using an EDT or EDC as an aftershave probably isn't a good idea as they contain much more perfume oils, than an AS. The perfume oils in a EDT or EDC can clog your pores, and probably isn't too great for your skin. From what I understand, this is the main detriment; it has nothing to do with alcohol or water content. Also, because of the increased perfume oil content, the scent would be much stronger than using an AS; just picture how much AS you actually splash onto your face after a shave, versus the 2 or 3 sprays of a cologne or EDT that you would normally spritz onto yourself.

I disagree regarding the alcohol content.

Alcohol will dry out your skin, especially if used in too high of a concentration.
This is why I never use an EDT, EDP or EDC as after shave.

24 6,018
 10-02-2016, 11:40 PM
User Info
(10-02-2016, 08:23 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-02-2016, 06:04 PM)walklikeaduck Wrote: Some differing opinions on this topic, but I've read that using an EDT or EDC as an aftershave probably isn't a good idea as they contain much more perfume oils, than an AS. The perfume oils in a EDT or EDC can clog your pores, and probably isn't too great for your skin. From what I understand, this is the main detriment; it has nothing to do with alcohol or water content. Also, because of the increased perfume oil content, the scent would be much stronger than using an AS; just picture how much AS you actually splash onto your face after a shave, versus the 2 or 3 sprays of a cologne or EDT that you would normally spritz onto yourself.

I disagree regarding the alcohol content.

Alcohol will dry out your skin, especially if used in too high of a concentration.
This is why I never use an EDT, EDP or EDC as after shave.

There’s probably higher concentrations of alcohol in certain AS such as CC Cat o’ Nine Tails. I think the perfume oils are more of an issue than the alcohol.

0 7
 10-03-2016, 01:05 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I use an Aftershave to soothe my skin post shave. I use an EDT to smell nice. IMO the products are best used with their intended purpose in mind...

Alcohol is often the first ingredient in AS and EDT, so I don't believe there is too much issue there. However, AS often contains ingredients that promote skin recovery whereas EDT generally doesn't. With EDT's primary focus on scent I'd suggest there is little or no emphasis on promoting skin care and quite possibly the opposite when considering applying to skin that has just been damaged and fatigued by the rigours of shaving. 

Further, AS is most often splashed on with a disregard for waste or cost in relation to quantity. At an average of 10 times the cost I wouldn't be splashing EDT more than the prerequisite 2 or 3 squirts usually required to smell nice. Cost aside, I image the more concentrated scent required to ensure EDT out performs AS scent wise would most likely irritate my skin (as well as wallet).

99 18,011
 10-12-2016, 11:13 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Using anything above an aftershave or aftershave/cologne directly on your face after shaving is usually quite uncomfortable, and they are not intended to be applied in any area that you shave. But, of course, ymmv.

7 2,359
 10-12-2016, 01:21 PM
User Info
Even though you most certainly can use an EDC/EDT/EDP as an after shave, I never do it.

But you can do it, if your skin can handle it.

After shave is meant for an after the shave splash on the shaved area.

EDC/EDT/EDP is made with one purpose in mind and only one purpose: TO SMELL NICE

But I hear a lot of people using Alt Inssbruck as an after shave, and they seem to enjoy it highly as an after shave.

I own Alt Inssbruck, but only use it as a fragrance, since it's an EDC - thus I never apply it to my face area.

But as I said in my first post here: Use what you like, if your skin can take it/tolerate it.

But fragrances are not made to be used as an after shave. And After shaves are not meant to be used as a fragrance, hence the reason why after shave scents rarely last for longer than 1-2 hours on your skin.

24 6,018
 10-14-2016, 04:38 AM
User Info
I agree with Claus to a large extent.

Though I use Alt Innsbruck & ADP Oud Cologne mixed with ADP aftershave balm I am not really confident about other colognes and edt's being used for the same purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 849
 10-16-2016, 04:06 PM
User Info
I looked this up and found this to be the differences.

In Men's fragrances, what is the difference between an Aftershave, Eau de Toilette, and Cologne?

They are completely different things, although many men, unknowingly use them interchangeably. 

An Aftershave contains less perfume oil (around (1%-3%), therefore the scent isn't as long lasting as an Eau de Toilette. Many aftershaves contain soothing and cooling ingredients, such as Aloe Vera. This helps soothe the skin after a shave . The alcohol contained will also close skin pores opened by the hot water from your shave. Aftershave will only last for about 2-3 hours so, it isn't effective if you want your fragrance to last all evening.

An Eau de Toilette contains more perfume oil than the Aftershave, typically around 4%-8%. However EDT's contain too much oil to be put on the face, especially after shaving. You will probably come up all red and blotchy as a result. An Eau de Cologne will contain 2%-5%. Therefore, an Eau de Cologne should be a lighter and not so longer lasting fragrance.  

This was from the information boards with Ebay.

0 596
 10-16-2016, 04:48 PM
User Info
A little common sense can go a long way. I've had more irritation from AS's with alcohol and soaps with god knows what than I've ever had with EDT's which is none. Never red or blotchy but then again I don't swim in EDT or cologne. I spray a very small amount into my palm on top of AOS unscented balm. I never use anything loud or strong enough to irritate my sinuses. In my opinion if you're bold enough to infiltrate a room with Alt Innsbruck (which I'm a big fan) a little spritz of Pour Un Homme De Caron to your favorite unscented balm is pretty harmless in my experience.

~Royce

4 384