Poll: Blooming soaps
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 10-01-2016, 10:57 AM
User Info
I want to know whether you're a bloomer or not  Biggrin

I just saw the youtube video from Chris Bailey about the blooming subject, and he made some valid points IMHO

Adding water directly to a tub of less than very hard soap can cause mould issues in the long run, so unless you're a 2-3 soap at a time shaver, this could end up causing a lot of problems with your soaps, if you're a collector like I am.

I have around 300+ soaps and creams, and I usually only bloom my very hard pucks for longer than 1-2 minutes.

But even 1-2 minutes of water added to the surface, can cause issues with the soap in the long run.
Water will run into the minor cracks in the soap, and end up on the bottom of the soap, where we can't see what's going on before it's too late.

Mould can build up without us knowing it, and we also have the issue with the scent of the soap getting weaker and weaker over time the more often we add water to the soap.

My stand point is, that you only should add a tiny bit of warm water to the top of the soap, if the soap is less than really hard and the more soft the soap is, the less water you should add to it, because logically the softer the soap is, the more prone it is to have water penetrating through the soap and down into the bottom of the soap, where it will end up creating mould issues.

From now on and so forth, I will stop blooming my softer soaps completely and only use a moist brush, perhaps add some drops of water to the top of the soap and then use the brush on that to load the brush in the soap.

If I only had 6-12 soaps in my collection, I would not worry, just bloom the heck out of them - but with the many soaps in my den, I will not risk ruining the soap from mould formation and from water added time after time, which will weaken the scent of the soap.

What's you point of view reagarding blooming soaps ?

24 6,019
 10-01-2016, 11:05 AM
User Info
I voted no across the board. Furthermore, whoever invented the term "bloom water" needs to be poked repeatedly with a sharp stick...

160 1,040
 10-01-2016, 11:07 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I take my whisky neat and my soap dry. Sea duty left me with the knowledge fish pee and fornicate in it.

2 3,171
 10-01-2016, 11:08 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-01-2016, 11:05 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I voted no across the board. Furthermore, whoever invented the term "bloom water" needs to be poked repeatedly with a sharp stick...

Biggrin  Agreed!

46 18,625
 10-01-2016, 11:10 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
(10-01-2016, 11:05 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote: Furthermore, whoever invented the term "bloom water" needs to be poked repeatedly with a sharp stick...

Agreed!!! Lol. But seriously I do soak them before the shave. I don't worry about any issues, because I use on soap all week and pick whatever i feel like over the weekend. I leave the lid off for the day to let it dry.

29 1,627
 10-01-2016, 11:10 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(10-01-2016, 11:05 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I voted no across the board. Furthermore, whoever invented the term "bloom water" needs to be poked repeatedly with a sharp stick...

Agreed.
This concept is a bunch of malarkey, propagated by ill informed types, IMO.

102 18,669
 10-01-2016, 11:13 AM
User Info
I don't see the need for it. Even with hard soap just add water as you go.

5 1,562
 10-01-2016, 11:18 AM
User Info
(10-01-2016, 11:10 AM)Agravic Wrote:

Agreed.
This concept is a bunch of malarkey, propagated by ill informed types, IMO.

Concept or term? I agree that the term is ... interesting, at best. But I first read about this concept from Jim at B&B written in 2007. I don't think it's a poor concept at all, just unnecessary in most situations. I typically just use it on hard soaps or even softer soaps that I have not used in a while. 

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....p-Tutorial

63 1,721
 10-01-2016, 11:29 AM
User Info
Hmmm. I'm no expert but I tend to put some water in the creme for a minute so that my brush picks up a good deal of paste. Then to the bowl where I add more water to generate lather. I drain my creme container if necessary, and let it air out overnight. Haven't had a mold problem- yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 146
 10-01-2016, 11:36 AM
User Info
I almost never bloom my soaps, except for the few hard soaps I have (Soap Commander comes to mind).  

A quick bloom (1-2 minues) with COLD water makes loading so much easier and gives me a fantastic lather.

54 1,214
 10-01-2016, 11:41 AM
User Info
The only soap I bloom is Saponoficio Varesino. Everything else, no.

2 336
 10-01-2016, 11:41 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-01-2016, 11:07 AM)kav Wrote: I take my whisky neat and my soap dry. Sea duty left me with the knowledge fish pee and fornicate in it.

Spoken like a true Matelot, almost. Thumbup

0 1,694
 10-01-2016, 12:46 PM
  • Beau
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I never bloom soaps or creams, but sometimes I'll shake (or gently squeeze) out some of the excess water in my brush over the soap. Then I'll immediately pick this water back up along with the soap I'm loading. I also like to leave the tops off of soaps I've just used for about a day so they can dry out.

0 383
 10-01-2016, 12:59 PM
User Info
I don't seem to have an issue with this term/conept/topic as I use shave-sticks, exclusively, with my main soap, so it doesn't affect me either way. Nonetheless, for the soaps that I use in regular containers/tubs, I have never 'bloomed' them. Shy

83 21,115
 10-01-2016, 01:30 PM
User Info
Never have. Sounds like a bad idea, seeing that the soaps I purchase are natural as possible. Tallow is fat; fat can go rancid. When I shave, I only use the water in my brush, then let the puck dry out. Over night, or during the day depending when I shave, prior to closing it up.

0 596
 10-01-2016, 01:33 PM
User Info
I do not submerge soaps, croaps, creams, pucks, or sticks in water. . .prior to loading my shaving brush.

I do add a teaspoon of hot water to my shaving soaps.  Said water rests quietly atop of said shaving soaps, as it waits to be thrashed by a shaving brush.

I'm not sure if that's considered "blooming" or not.  

If it is. . . .then I'm a habitual bloomer.    Aaaaa   And proud of it.   Biggrin

8 193
 10-01-2016, 02:19 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
People have the annoying habit of overcomplicating many pursuits; plastic brush stands, pre shave oils, post shave oils, cleaning soap for brushes used to generate soap suds, blade sharpening devises in materials. Marking your DE razor to insure equal passes with both edges, employing solvents to wipe clean wax spots, feeling the need to embrace the lingua
francais of shaving until loved ones and coworkers suspect a traumatic brain injury leading to one of those reported cases of people suddenly speaking russian with no memory of english in behaviour.
People so inclined should stop and ask themselves 'How do I grow whiskers'? After all, nobody has ever taught anyone  else how to do this in all the generations of mankind. Are we doing it correctly? Much of our species is so estranged from the natural world such a unknown failing may merit serious inquiry.

2 3,171
 10-01-2016, 02:28 PM
User Info
that bloomin' soap - now I know how the phrase started

36 910
 10-01-2016, 02:36 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-01-2016, 02:19 PM)kav Wrote: People have the annoying habit of overcomplicating many pursuits; plastic brush stands, pre shave oils, post shave oils, cleaning soap for brushes used to generate soap suds, blade sharpening devises in materials. Marking your DE razor to insure equal passes with both edges, employing solvents to wipe clean wax spots, feeling the need to embrace the lingua
francais of shaving until loved ones and coworkers suspect a traumatic brain injury leading to one of those reported cases of people suddenly speaking russian with no memory of english in behaviour.
People so inclined should stop and ask themselves 'How do I grow whiskers'? After all, nobody has ever taught anyone  else how to do this in all the generations of mankind. Are we doing it correctly? Much of our species is so estranged from the natural world such a unknown failing may merit serious inquiry.

24 Well stated Chris!

46 18,625
 10-01-2016, 02:51 PM
User Info
Guilty. I bloom my soaps but not crops. It works for me and will continue to do so.

41 1,196