10-01-2016, 05:43 PM
User Info
So I just received a soap in trade that smelled terrible in the container, but awesome once lathered. My new B&M Sandalwood Latha smells like a cheap private label cherry lip balm in the container, but there's an amazing scent evolution that takes place during lathering which is when this soap really sings! Have any of you had had a similarly drastic scent evolution experience with other soaps/creams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 264
 10-01-2016, 07:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Interesting question. Most definitely yes, B&M soaps do have a concentrated scent in the tub. I find they open up and mellow as the lather builds. I've not used the scent you mentioned but this has been my experience with most of the B&M scented soaps I have used. One flavor in particular that behaves as you've described is Diamond. I love the way the layers of scent unfold with this soap. Hopefully Will will reissue that one someday. Another favorite B&M of mine is Oceana. This one smells the same to me in the tub, during the shave, and post-shave. I also find Oceana lingers, fading in and out during the day.

4 1,939
 10-01-2016, 08:24 PM
User Info
None for me. Everyone of the soaps that I disliked did not change once lathered. Shy

82 21,056
 10-01-2016, 08:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
MWF is my oldest soap in continuous use these past 8 odd years. I was without it for some time until recent gifts. It's a simple scent; one easily dismissed or overlooked with time and familiarity. I presently have an amazing variety of soaps with some knockout scents. Out of them all, I find myself stealing a daily wiff used or not like  midnight spoonfulls of icecream fudge syrup from the fridge. The olfactory sytem is  our most overlooked sense with powerfull triggers of memories. MWF is the childhood PLAYDO of my shaving psyche.

2 3,171
 10-01-2016, 08:46 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-01-2016, 08:29 PM)kav Wrote: MWF is my oldest soap in continuous use these past 8 odd years. I was without it for some time until recent gifts. It's a simple scent; one easily dismissed or overlooked with time and familiarity. I presently have an amazing variety of soaps with some knockout scents. Out of them all, I find myself stealing a daily wiff used or not like  midnight spoonfulls of icecream fudge syrup from the fridge. The olfactory sytem is  our most overlooked sense with powerfull triggers of memories. MWF is the childhood PLAYDO of my shaving psyche.

Biggrin  It is a soothing and comfortable scent.

46 18,089
 10-01-2016, 09:48 PM
User Info
I thought I would like Caties Bubbles LPV as it was really nice from the tub. But once lathered, it really had an off-putting smell and turn for the worst.

79 1,297
 10-02-2016, 03:57 AM
User Info
(10-01-2016, 08:29 PM)kav Wrote: MWF is my oldest soap in continuous use these past 8 odd years. I was without it for some time until recent gifts. It's a simple scent; one easily dismissed or overlooked with time and familiarity. I presently have an amazing variety of soaps with some knockout scents. Out of them all, I find myself stealing a daily wiff used or not like  midnight spoonfulls of icecream fudge syrup from the fridge. The olfactory sytem is  our most overlooked sense with powerfull triggers of memories. MWF is the childhood PLAYDO of my shaving psyche.

MWF is one of my all time favorite scents. And subtle enough to wear pair with any AS.

30 264
 10-02-2016, 05:11 AM
User Info
(10-01-2016, 09:48 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I thought I would like Caties Bubbles LPV as it was really nice from the tub. But once lathered, it really had an off-putting smell and turn for the worst.

Interesting, sounds like an example of a scent evolution that went the other way.

30 264
 10-03-2016, 03:54 PM
User Info
When I tested our Lit scent, I smelled it in the tub and thought:

1. I'm not sure I'm going to like this and
2. What happened to all the floral essential and fragrance oils we put in this?  All I got was smoke.

When I lathered it, the smoke calmed down and the florals came out.

0 1,055
 10-03-2016, 04:05 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Your rreference to playdo  is spot on and shows quite a mind. At least to me, somehow.

7 2,281
 10-03-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
(10-03-2016, 03:54 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: When I tested our Lit scent, I smelled it in the tub and thought:

1. I'm not sure I'm going to like this and
2. What happened to all the floral essential and fragrance oils we put in this?  All I got was smoke.

When I lathered it, the smoke calmed down and the florals came out.

Funny how that happens. I've learned not to banish a soap prematurely upon first sniff. Give 'em a fair chance and lather 'em up!

30 264
 10-04-2016, 06:37 PM
User Info
It's been my experience that using the same soap or cream every day for at least 2 weeks (or much longer) always results in a perceived fragrance much different than whatever I thought it was in the beginning. I think it develops into a much richer and deeper representation of whatever the soapmaker originally intended. On rare occasion I grow to become repulsed, but in most cases, I fall in love with the fragrances before they finally run out.

24 1,208
 10-04-2016, 06:40 PM
User Info
It certainly makes developing scents challenging.

0 1,055
 10-04-2016, 07:03 PM
User Info
I'm in awe of those creative individuals who have the talent and skill to understand and develop fragrances.

24 1,208
 10-05-2016, 08:52 AM
User Info
(10-04-2016, 07:03 PM)brothers Wrote: I'm in awe of those creative individuals who have the talent and skill to understand and develop fragrances.
+1

30 264