10-01-2016, 07:52 PM
User Info
Bought it the other day.  Fantastic performer but alas I (and more importantly my wife) don't like the scent.  It really seems to linger all day for me.

I may have to try the blue (I love the green and white).

Perhaps I'm not a sandalwood guy. No offense to anyone who likes it (its like arguing that the color brown is better than yellow).

0 42
 10-01-2016, 08:05 PM
User Info
I agree that it performs very nicely. I will mention that Proraso Red is a pretty authentic Sandalwood, so you might not be a "sandalwood guy".

6 797
 10-01-2016, 08:24 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Sandalwood is one of the most popular scents of wet shaving enthusiasts. Nearly every major soap company (as well as many top women fragrance companies) has a sandalwood scented shave soap. You probably did "offend" 99% on shaving forums by suggesting they smell like "old med in church at Christmas time."

38 5,194
 10-01-2016, 08:36 PM
User Info
(10-01-2016, 08:24 PM)evnpar Wrote: Sandalwood is one of the most popular scents of wet shaving enthusiasts. Nearly every major soap company (as well as many top women fragrance companies) has a sandalwood scented shave soap. You probably did "offend" 99% on shaving forums by suggesting they smell like "old med in church at Christmas time."

You have a good point - I apologize. I do recall smelling other sandalwood candles I rather liked so it may just be this particular one I had issues with.

I edited the post to remove that comment. Thanks for putting it in perspective

0 42
 10-01-2016, 09:21 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Actuallly, sandalwood smells like old men in temple or shrine during a Buddhist or Hindu holiday. Old men in church would be Frankincense and Myrre if High Church, countless microwaved casseroles Lutheran  and peppermint the Unitarians; who burned a question mark on my front lawn and told me never to come back. Very few scents are truly
sandalwood, but various interpretations that do range from awfull to the sublime; something like those casseroles.

2 3,171
 10-01-2016, 09:44 PM
User Info
Sandalwood is a very popular scent, but it isn't often delivered in such a straight forward manner, it's usually combined with at least a few other scents to tone it down. On its own it's a little much I agree, but I do like Proraso Red a lot =)

7 330
 10-02-2016, 04:59 AM
User Info
My personal favorite followed by crsw and aos.

63 1,596
 10-02-2016, 08:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I believe in P-Red.

7 2,355
 10-02-2016, 08:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I really do Biggrin

7 2,355
 10-03-2016, 06:29 AM
User Info
I used Proraso Red this morning and really like the scent.  There are other soaps that are called Sandalwood that have a more floral scent as opposed to the Indian Sandalwood.

My bar soap is also Sandalwood and it is much stronger then Proraso.  The good news is my wife likes the scent but it might be an acquired scent.  

Now ask her if there is a scent she does like and you can buy more soap.

4 475
 10-03-2016, 08:18 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It's one of the few sandalwood scented products that contain santalum album EO. Most of the artisans use cheap FO and that's why they all smell quite different. You have to try a lot of them to find the one you prefer.

49 2,016
 10-03-2016, 04:10 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I lived in the orient for a few years and sandalwood was everywhere.  They even made sandals from it, I guess that's where the name comes from and the Proraso scent is actually the closest thing to it, as I remember.

7 2,359
 10-03-2016, 04:54 PM
User Info
I like the performance and don't mind the smell, but the cream P-Red cream left a rash on my hand.  Funny thing is it didn't affect my face, but my left hand got a rash from squeezing the soap out of my brush.

0 115