12-31-2016, 11:19 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(12-26-2016, 04:44 AM)primotenore Wrote: I haven't really weighed in on this, but when something is sold, it's sold. It now belongs to the new owner and last time I checked, this is still a free country, and the new owner can do whatever he/she wishes to do with said object. Let's get real here.

Yes, absolutely.

1 795
 01-01-2017, 08:16 AM
User Info
one of my first ever bst was with nsmalls and i knew just with a couple pms that i was being honored to be able to buy this brush.  To just try for blantant profit at members expense is so wrong.  the feedback on members deals say it all about the quality of our people here.

73 1,278
 02-27-2017, 12:23 AM
User Info
Reading about the moral outrage you all express about a troll who would take advantage really makes me glad that I joined this group.
I have rarely sold things I owned, rather give them to someone who could enjoy them as I once did.

This kind of greed is a bane on not only a hobby group, but is a major failing of our world in general.

I am glad to be associated with you gentlemen.

0 38
 02-27-2017, 04:08 AM
User Info
(02-27-2017, 12:23 AM)grayhane Wrote: Reading about the moral outrage you all express about a troll who would take advantage really makes me glad that I joined this group.
I have rarely sold things I owned, rather give them to someone who could enjoy them as I once did.

This kind of greed is a bane on not only a hobby group, but is a major failing of our world in general.

I am glad to be associated with you gentlemen.

Welcome to TSN.  This in indeed a great and special community and we're glad you joined.  Please go to the Introductions section and introduce yourself, so the members can give you a proper welcome.

48 5,893
 02-27-2017, 08:30 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Lately, I'm of the opinion that we, the traditional wet shavers, created this phenomenon. We can diminish it with acts like this one, but it won't be eliminated. With all the craziness over some items like Wolfmans, Paladins or other hard to get items that dominates on shaving forums, the fact that they are being sold in less than 10 minutes, I might say more time that the actual, and the fact that you receive dozens of offers when you post a thread for these, even the craziest you can imagine, we create the demand and the hype. People seem unhappy with what they have and they want to get these desirable items. Some are willing to pay premium prices for them. It's their money.
From time to time, even recently, I've seen items going for sale on Ebay from members that participate here because they know that they can't sell them here at the prices they have on their minds. I believe this is not something that's unknown. Anyone can pay or ask for what they want, it's a free economy and not a communist.
It will be partially eliminated when we stop getting crazy over shaving items, but that won't happen anytime soon.

49 1,960
 02-27-2017, 08:53 AM
User Info
It's a question of what came first, egg or the chicken. Demand is more or the supply is less.

I am aware that these artisans have limitations in terms of capital involved, trade secrets held close to chest and hence limited resources to produce goods. But then people start hoarding on to multiple units of already limited end product and thus creating scarcity for others.

Few months back, I had written something about the same issue on one of the artisans thread and it was taken rather seriously by the artisan. More than customers he himself was defending multiple buys, repeat customers etc etc.

But you are right Nikos, we as end users are responsible for this hyped up demand and need to exhibit self restraint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 759
 02-27-2017, 09:13 AM
User Info
(02-27-2017, 08:30 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Lately, I'm of the opinion that we, the traditional wet shavers, created this phenomenon. We can diminish it with acts like this one, but it won't be eliminated. With all the craziness over some items like Wolfmans, Paladins or other hard to get items that dominates on shaving forums, the fact that they are being sold in less than 10 minutes, I might say more time that the actual, and the fact that you receive dozens of offers when you post a thread for these, even the craziest you can imagine, we create the demand and the hype. People seem unhappy with what they have and they want to get these desirable items. Some are willing to pay premium prices for them. It's their money.
From time to time, even recently, I've seen items going for sale on Ebay from members that participate here because they know that they can't sell them here at the prices they have on their minds. I believe this is not something that's unknown. Anyone can pay or ask for what they want, it's a free economy and not a communist.
It will be partially eliminated when we stop getting crazy over shaving items, but that won't happen anytime soon.
This is so true.  There are many such stories out there that involve different hobbies.  One example is in the Bourbon arena.  At one time not too long ago you could go into any store and pick up a Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old for $55-$70, or a 20 year old for $105.  Try doing that now.  Already snapped up by some "collector" who will sell these bottles for HUNDREDS of dollars for the 15 year old and over a THOUSAND for 20 year old......AND people readily throw down the cash to buy them.  Amazing!

0 15