Poll: Shaves with Feather Blades Where Performance Doesn't Degrade
 01-18-2017, 07:03 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(01-16-2017, 11:13 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(01-16-2017, 07:20 AM)Mouser Wrote: I found them uncomfortable from the get go and noticeably more so by the third pass of the first shave. A glaring example of YMMV for me at least since a sizable majority find them to be the best modern blade made

That particular “YMMV” may well be an artifact of the preferred razor the blade is mounted in.  The thin gauge of the Feather blade makes it especially susceptible to judder, snap-back, and wave-like motions if the blade is not tightly clamped, relatively close to the cutting edge of the blade, particularly on the baseplate side of the blade.  A Feather blade in a razor that has a baseplate that droops down at the leading edge is not a marriage made in heaven.  

Anecdotally, no actual tallying done, as to your “sizable majority” mention, from my reading of the shaving sites, the Polsilver blades seem to get more mentions and more love than Feathers do, even by those who acknowledge that, strictly on a sharpness criterion, the Feathers are sharper than any other blades except, perhaps KAIs.  

As usual, you're right Mel. My "sizable majority" comment was off and you're spot on about the Polsilvers. Given your track record I'm sure you are correct again about the razor but I'm happy as a pig in mud with my vintage blades so I'm not even going to try.

8 2,647
 01-22-2017, 03:21 PM
User Info
Three for me.

12 512
 06-11-2017, 03:36 AM
User Info
I don't keep count or take much notice to be honest but I'd guess about 3 sharp shaves...as soon as they start to dull I bin it

0 119
 06-12-2017, 07:56 AM
  • Nero
User Info
Zero wasn't an option so I voted One.

90 3,763