10-04-2016, 07:50 AM
User Info
Hello! As topic suggested, I would like to have some opinion about the two brands of aftershave mentions if you have any experience with either of them. I lived outside US, so shipping of alcohol aftershaves, is sadly, out of the question. I narrowed down to two different brand

Cold River Soap Works Replenish Post Shave Tonic
Cold River Soap Works Nourish Post Shave Lotion

Chatillon Lux Post-Shave Toner
Chatillon Lux Post-Shave Salve

Would love to hear any opinions [Image: blushing.gif]. Thank you for your time!

0 176
 10-04-2016, 01:53 PM
User Info
I use Chatillon Lux products regularly. The toner is alcohol free and has been called 'splash for balm guys', it is very moisturizing. The aftershave is alcohol based, but you wouldn't think it by the face feel, It's very moisturizing despite being alcohol based. I highly recommend trying his products. He sells samples, so you could try whatever scent you are interested in that way. My favorites are Champs de Lavande and Coloni Balsamica. I just ordered the TSM Fougere, should be here in a few days. 

Edit to add salve: it's a nice balm type product, VERY moisturizing, the scent is lighter in the salves than the toners. I don't really use them as I don't require that much moisturizing. He also has samples of these. 

I've not tried any of the CRSW products, so I have no input for you.

7 323
 10-04-2016, 09:06 PM
User Info
(10-04-2016, 01:53 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: I use Chatillon Lux products regularly. The toner is alcohol free and has been called 'splash for balm guys', it is very moisturizing. The aftershave is alcohol based, but you wouldn't think it by the face feel, It's very moisturizing despite being alcohol based. I highly recommend trying his products. He sells samples, so you could try whatever scent you are interested in that way. My favorites are Champs de Lavande and Coloni Balsamica. I just ordered the TSM Fougere, should be here in a few days. 

Edit to add salve: it's a nice balm type product, VERY moisturizing, the scent is lighter in the salves than the toners. I don't really use them as I don't require that much moisturizing. He also has samples of these. 

Thank you for your response. I've heard a lot of great things about Chatillon Lux, I just want to keep my options open and I saw Cold River Soap Works new stuff, if their aftershaves are not around, Chatillon will be an easy buy for me.

0 176
 10-04-2016, 09:25 PM
User Info
(10-04-2016, 09:06 PM)aerolord Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 01:53 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: I use Chatillon Lux products regularly. The toner is alcohol free and has been called 'splash for balm guys', it is very moisturizing. The aftershave is alcohol based, but you wouldn't think it by the face feel, It's very moisturizing despite being alcohol based. I highly recommend trying his products. He sells samples, so you could try whatever scent you are interested in that way. My favorites are Champs de Lavande and Coloni Balsamica. I just ordered the TSM Fougere, should be here in a few days. 

Thank you for your response. I've heard a lot of great things about Chatillon Lux, I just want to keep my options open and I saw Cold River Soap Works new stuff, if their aftershaves are not around, Chatillon will be an easy buy for me.

I've used all of the scents, and they're all great. I don't think you will be disappointed with whichever you opt for. Champs de Lavande was my last choice for my purchases, and ironically enough, is the first I reach for. It's darker with a little black pepper to liven it up, it's really nice IMO. This is followed by Colonia Balsamica (which will probably change with the temperature shift), then Gratiot League Square (EXCELLENT leathery scent). I have a feeling once I get the Fougere it will be that and GLS as first choices. Let us know what you end up with and your thoughts =)

Edit: what scents are your go to's ?
I also wanted to add, the scents have an excellent strength and longevity, strengths being: toner >aftershave>salve.

7 323
 10-05-2016, 05:06 AM
User Info
I've used both and CRSW easily bests Chatillion Lux. The CRSW post shave lotion is really, really good stuff. scent strength is very good and matches the soap offerings perfectly. The biggest draw is that it is seriously awesome for your skin. Just take a look at the all natural ingredients and you will see that is the most advanced post shave going. Absorbs easily and it is not even close to greasy, simply effective. I use it after every single shave no matter what soap I'm using and my skin has never looked or felt better.

The Replenish aftershave tonic is good as well. No real scent to it but it's designed that way from my understanding. A good splash that's intended to for results, not scent.

Chatillion Lux on the other hand, especially the post shave salve is entirely too greasy. Has the same effect as smearing pore clogging raw shea butter all over your face. Great scents though. I do like their alcohol aftershave and the Lavande is really nice and strong.

But for results, it's CRSW all the way!

0 90
 10-05-2016, 05:42 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Put me down for CRSW.  For me Chatillion Lux is best used in the winter when my face is a lot dryer.  It doesn't absorb quite as well in the warmer months and can really leave your face greasy.  It kind of reminds me of ginger gardens aftershaves, only with hers if I really work the aftershave into my skin there's no greasy feeling left.  Unfortunately I love the scents of Chatillion Lux, but the performance isn't that great for most months of the year.  CRSW on the other hand is absolutely wonderful.  I use  Colonia Mediterrania post shave and it is great stuff.  Very nourishing and leaves my skin very soft, hydrated and with no greasy feeling whatsoever.

43 610
 10-11-2016, 05:37 AM
User Info
Thank you all, sorry for the late reply as I was busy reading up on soaps and forget about this thread I posted!

Looks like CRSW aftershaves will be in my purchase list along with my soap list soon! Can't wait.

0 176
 10-11-2016, 06:16 AM
User Info
I haven't used the new CRSW Replenish lotion. The previous version had great scent strength to match the soaps, but I also believe it caused me to breakout. Hopefully, that issue is resolved with the new lotion.

I'm a fan of Chatillon Lux's products. With the salves and toners - a little goes a long way. I only use a pea sized amount of the salve, rub it in my palms to warm it up, and spread it across my face. It's great for cold, windy days. But there isn't much of those in SoCal. So my product of choice are his toners - moisturizing, doesn't feel tacky on the skin. I havent used any of the aftershaves yet - a bottle the TSM Fougère aftershave is en route. My current favorites are Champs de Lavande and Gratiot League Square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 107
 10-13-2016, 12:03 PM
  • hawns
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
Indeed, like it was said above, a tiny little bit of my salves goes a very long way. Often people will contact me to tell me about the greasy feeling they leave, I ask them how much they use, and they tell me around a quarter size or more. I tell them a dime-size is enough for most people, but many will often use less. It also performs better if applied to a slightly damp face, as stated in the instructions for use.

But the toners are what I'd recommend for most people who don't need the hyper-moisturizing performance of the salves. Also, feel free to contact me through my website for any questions. I feel I have become pretty adept at making recommendations based on what scents and products people enjoy. 

Overall, hope you find something that works for you!

-Shawn, owner of Chatillon Lux

0 10
 10-14-2016, 07:40 AM
User Info
Never heard of Chatillon Lux but I can attest to the quality and efficiency of the CRSW Post Shave products. Both the Tonic and the Lotion are beautifully crafted. Neither are greasy, oily or heavy but rather light, clean and fast absorbing.

A careful study of the ingredients tells me a lot of research went into them. Using them tells me they work as advertised.

0 147