10-04-2016, 11:28 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My Nisei friend Steve was teaching customers how to use Hashi (chopsticks) this week as I walked in. A lady proclaimed Westerners could never learn to do it properly. My first thought was Steve IS a westerner, born in California. but before I could open my mouth I was volunteered  to demonstrate the skill. I've been enjoying several classical performances and for some reason focused on the handling of the conductor's baton. It was doubly fun listening to The SORCEROR'S APPRENTICE and imaging Mickey.
This got me thinking ( dangerous) about how we hold razors to effect proper angle and no pressure. So many variables ; big hands, small, old and young, handle length and girth.

2 3,171
 10-04-2016, 11:42 AM
User Info
I had taught myself an unorthodox way of handling chopsticks. Then I married a Japanese woman.
Visiting Japan, my grip drew comments and I got sick of it. So I retaught myself the orthodox way. It is better.

It's fun to see my wife using chopsticks as a cooking implement too.

8 897
 10-04-2016, 04:59 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
O.K. I need to inspire feedback. Physical Anthropology teaches our hand with opposable thumb has a power grip and a precision grip. Cultural Anthropologists may opine some cultures need to get a grip. Men with small hands may be inclined to use a power grip and need to get one. So, do you choke up on the handle,  mid handle in a precision grip  or by the end? Do you use your dominant hand for both sides or switch to the left hand of God shaving the dark side or remain righteous?

2 3,171
 10-04-2016, 05:20 PM
User Info
I sue my thumb and forefinger for the actual gripping, and my middle and ring finger to balance and help with angle. I use my right hand for the right side of my face, and left hand for the left side of my face. Sometimes while touching up I'll use my right hand for wherever. 

I use chopsticks every chance I get =)

7 305
 10-04-2016, 06:18 PM
User Info
I'm right handed, but when I think to do it, on rare occasion I use my left hand on the left side, etc. I mainly grip with thumb and first and second fingertips  for precision near the upper third of the handle, and use the other fingers and palm on the end of the razor for support.

24 1,208
 10-04-2016, 06:50 PM
User Info
DE razor I place my thumb about mid handle with index and middle on opposite side of handle thumb between the two fingers.  Grip is as low as I can get (which is about half way because I have big hands) and very light.  Angle is adjusted by elbow as I keep my wrist fairly calm.  I switch hands to match side of face.  

Straight razor grip is thumb on jimps and index finger above it.  Scales at 90 degrees straight up between index and mid finger.  Mid finger on the tail.  Grip is a bit tighter than with de.  I shave right cheek and left neck with right hand and left cheek and right neck with left hand.  

Hashi (chop sticks) always in left hand and judging by my belly I am having no issues getting things to my mouth.  I lived in Japan for a couple years and use hashi about as often as a fork and spoon.  I'm kind of a germophobe and hashi seem to be cleaner than a fork.

2 133
 10-05-2016, 03:26 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have large hands and lightly grip a DE/SE in the upper third of the handle between thumb and fore and middle fingers of my right, dominant hand, for the complete shave.

The grip varies with a straight razor depending on what part of the face I am doing. The grip is always in the light side too. I also switch hands, again depending on what part of the face I am shaving and the stroke.

Bob

Oh, what are chop sticks?

0 1,694
 10-05-2016, 07:17 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Very, very right handed which is considerably weakened by a stroke 5 years ago. This, plus small hands requres a power grip, but that makes it more difficult to keep the pressure off the razor head. I'm about convinced that this is responsible for my liking the Feather AS-D2 so much. Its mild nature allows me to get away with using more pressure on the head than others allow without making a mess of myself!

Ah, chopsticks! Pre-stroke (2006 to be exact), we went to Japan with a group of fountain pen enthusiasts. Wife and I were typical westerners who would use silverware in asian restaurants. For a month in advance, we practiced, using only chopsticks for all of our meals. We became proficient enough in their use that we didn't draw attention to ourselves and were quite comfortable with them. Only our host (Taiwanese with a Japanese wife) knew how clumsy we were just a month prior. Our 'ace in  the hole' is that my wife and I have wide ranging palates and easily 'go native' regarding food, no matter where you put us. How great it was to appreciate what we were served rather than gretz about it not being as the food at home is. Fun, fun, fun!

0 363
 10-05-2016, 07:38 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Sharing food is probably the most ancient, and sure way to overcome cultural barriers. I've had filipino balut, Inuit umluk, 1000 year old chinese eggs, grits in Kentucky.
My sole failure was at FOLLOW YOUR HEART Vegan restaurant on Sherman Way in the San Fernando Valley. I'm struggling with a banana and peanut butter sandwich and my crazy GF Anne said 'I know YOU'VE never been here before'! after I freed my mouth of banana and peanut butter I replied ' actually, this was Larry's butcher shop back in the 50s- 60s and people used to bring their 2 year old steers for butchering and aging. The abattoir was in that corne..........' and you could hear several chakras
getting bent out of shape and we were asked to leave.

This thread has potential. I imagine no few new shavers pick up a razor like people a loaded revolver for the first time.

2 3,171
 10-05-2016, 07:44 AM
User Info
i use Fred Flintstone method.  grip razor and listen for music and pull down.

73 1,263
 10-05-2016, 07:50 AM
User Info
(10-05-2016, 07:44 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: i use Fred Flintstone method.  grip razor and listen for music and pull down.

Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-05-2016, 07:58 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
'Yabba dabba do' was proto indoeuropean for 'OWWWWWWW'!!!!!!!!!!!! 
The oldest known surviving artwork of people ( fragmented sections of the cave floor at Lascaux, foolishly leveled for visitor access before realising what was being detroyed) are engraved portraits in france. The people wore finely tailored reindeer suits, had facial features with upturned noses  much like Van Goghs The Potato Eaters
and------all clean shaven!

2 3,171