10-05-2016, 07:45 AM
User Info
Recently I decided to try something new -

Forever, and I don't know why, I've been under the impression that we are supposed to be shaving in more than one pass: with the grain/across the grain/against the grain.
My new regimen is to lather up only one time followed by one pass of shaving 100% against the grain. Even on the chin and the upper lip! 
It's working! I had to figure out all over again what direction is "the grain". It wasn't exactly what I thought it was just a few weeks ago. Now that I have dialed in the grain and what direction I have to go to go against it, I'm getting ever-improving results. I'm only using a DE for this. I suspect sometime in the future I may even decide to start doing it with a straight razor.  However, I'm in no hurry to make any further changes because this new turn of events is working so well for me. I still get to use my soap, cream and brush. This is so simple and straightforward, I wish I had thought of this a long time ago. As a result of going AGT I quickly figured out that I have to take time to slow down each stroke of the razor. This isn't a fast zip-zip-zip operation. Gotta pay close attention!

24 1,226
 10-05-2016, 08:08 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I don't know Gary. Fracking has caused more earthquakes in Oklahoma recently than California making you as unstable and open to fads and follies as us left coast denizons. If it works and your happy, I'm happy. But if these changes stir up another dust bowl or the mining that trashed my family holdings in Pitcher best just load up and  head west like the Joads. I'll be waiting with banana Margaritas and fish tacos.

2 3,171
 10-05-2016, 08:47 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
 10-05-2016, 09:07 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
O.K. in deference to all those O.K. Dendy's who left Pitcher I will try Gary's method tommorow A.M. I will either finish with OH WHAT A BEAUTIFULL MORNING or  THE BALLAD OF PRETTY BOY FLOYD.

2 3,171
 10-05-2016, 09:27 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-05-2016, 09:07 AM)kav Wrote: O.K. in deference to all those O.K. Dendy's who left Pitcher I will try Gary's method tommorow A.M. I will either finish with OH WHAT A BEAUTIFULL MORNING or  THE BALLAD OF PRETTY BOY FLOYD.

[Image: iOhoVYo.jpg]

1 1,089
 10-05-2016, 10:23 AM
User Info
I think this method could work if you're an everyday shaver and the stubble doesn't become too long.  I have grown accustomed to and quite frankly thoroughly enjoy the 3 pass method.  However I am sure that you're right, one pass against the grain could do the job.

74 2,276
 10-05-2016, 10:45 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I'd love to try it, but my neck says no way!

45 622
 10-05-2016, 11:17 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-05-2016, 10:45 AM)ddk13 Wrote: I'd love to try it, but my neck says no way!

I agree. For ~40 years I only did ATG passes with despisables and carts, and the irritation and razor burn on my neck were epic. I now much prefer whisker reduction via multiple passes.

7 2,159
 10-05-2016, 11:26 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(10-05-2016, 07:45 AM)brothers Wrote: Recently I decided to try something new -

Forever, and I don't know why, I've been under the impression that we are supposed to be shaving in more than one pass: with the grain/across the grain/against the grain.
My new regimen is to lather up only one time followed by one pass of shaving 100% against the grain. Even on the chin and the upper lip! 
It's working! I had to figure out all over again what direction is "the grain". It wasn't exactly what I thought it was just a few weeks ago. Now that I have dialed in the grain and what direction I have to go to go against it, I'm getting ever-improving results. I'm only using a DE for this. I suspect sometime in the future I may even decide to start doing it with a straight razor.  However, I'm in no hurry to make any further changes because this new turn of events is working so well for me. I still get to use my soap, cream and brush. This is so simple and straightforward, I wish I had thought of this a long time ago. As a result of going AGT I quickly figured out that I have to take time to slow down each stroke of the razor. This isn't a fast zip-zip-zip operation. Gotta pay close attention!

I've been doing this for quite some time, and it works well for me. I have to go over and touch up a few areas, but I no longer use the 2- or 3-pass method. Saves me a lot of time and I still get a great shave.

60 843
 10-05-2016, 11:49 AM
User Info
I can only do an ATG pass on my cheeks, not my neck.. but whatever works for you is good Biggrin

3 4,511
 10-05-2016, 01:56 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I've tried it before.........no mas

7 2,328
 10-05-2016, 05:13 PM
User Info
I'd love to be able to do one pass against the grain.  I've tried it with rough (no pun intended) results.  It works for some folks, wish I as one of them.

0 52
 10-05-2016, 05:44 PM
User Info
I'm firmly in the camp of whisker reduction. Even if my face could tolerate a single ATG pass (it won't), I still wouldn't get all the whiskers. I have a fairly dense beard, and it always takes multiple passes at different angles to get all the nooks and crannies.

28 1,098
 10-05-2016, 06:24 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I have tried it, and it works well for me. But I much prefer a two pass, one wtg and one atg. Bit closer shave for me.

2 1,683
 10-05-2016, 07:30 PM
User Info
I was skeptical when the thought first occurred to me. Surely my upper lip and chin were going to be disasterous, but I think the razor's tendency to be somewhat mild is what makes it work. Kav, don't come out here, you wouldn't like it. (Wink wink). All of this fresh air, sunshine and green pastures is just miserable! Wink

24 1,226
 10-05-2016, 07:38 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
When I was young and full of zip, on the Oklahoma strip
got me 40 acres, a mule and a wife.
blown away, it blew away
my Oklahoma home got blown away...............

2 3,171
 10-05-2016, 07:42 PM
User Info
I have no doubt! A lot of people around here are buying storm shelters.

24 1,226
 10-05-2016, 09:55 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I agree that against the grain is the way to go. Unfortunately, my face is ATG south to north for about half of my beard, and ear to nose for the other half. Perhaps if I were more awake in the morning, I could do ATG in one pass. As it is, I'm happy with two.

6 354
 10-06-2016, 03:45 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(10-05-2016, 11:17 AM)chaz Wrote: I agree. For ~40 years I only did ATG passes with despisables and carts, and the irritation and razor burn on my neck were epic. I now much prefer whisker reduction via multiple passes.
"Despisables", I love it! Thst's a funny typo.

My usual shave is WTG, then ATG and touch-ups where required. In retirement, I'm shaving every other day so I have a fair amount of stubble. Today I did the classic WTG, XTG, and ATG in that order but with zero touch-ups. Took about the same elapsed time and the shave was comparable in every way. For me, it was a toss-up, but still no irritation in spite of it being a full pass more sandwiched between the WTG and the ATG pass. Lucky to have such tolerant skin.

0 363
 10-06-2016, 04:41 AM
User Info
My beard is very tough.  I would not get a good results from a one pass ATG shave.  I definitely need the three passes.  However, go with whatever works for you.

50 6,106