10-05-2016, 10:39 AM
User Info
Okay, here's a question for all the Shavemac fans out there...

First, I like the older Simpsons Two Band Super and M&F's Blonde Badger hair.. Good backbone for hard soaps. What is the Shavemac equivalent, if there is one, or what comes closest? The DO1 knot? That states Silvertip, and all my Silvertip knots are relatively floppy...

Does Shavemac make a knot with backbone and "dig power?"

0 334
 10-05-2016, 10:54 AM
User Info
D01 (2 Band) will not be floppy, will have excellent backbone and some scrub/scritch (depending on who you talk to), closer to Simpson Manchurian IMO.  

Closest thing that Shavemac makes to M&F Blonde IMO would be a 2-Band Silvertip bulb knot set at a fairly low loft (something like 26x50 or 26x52).  

Even with a 28mm knot I would still set the knot no higher than 52mm.

53 1,199
 10-05-2016, 11:25 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Contact Bernd Blos at Shavemac and ask him which of his knot grade he thinks would be similar to the old Simpsons 2 banders or M&F's Blonde Badger hair knots. 

When I asked him what he had that was similar to a Simpsons Manchurian he suggested their Silvertip 2 band, not the DO1. He also suggested a 50mm loft for a 26mm knot. I took his advice and am very happy with the brush.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-05-2016, 11:32 AM
User Info
(10-05-2016, 10:54 AM)david1201 Wrote: D01 (2 Band) will not be floppy, will have excellent backbone and some scrub/scritch (depending on who you talk to), closer to Simpson Manchurian IMO.  

Closest thing that Shavemac makes to M&F Blonde IMO would be a 2-Band Silvertip bulb knot set at a fairly low loft (something like 26x50 or 26x52).  

Even with a 28mm knot I would still set the knot no higher than 52mm.

+1

83 21,077
 10-05-2016, 12:06 PM
User Info
For the Simpson Super 2-band as well as the M&F Blonde, the best equivalent would be the Silvertip Two-band.
For the Manchurian, the D01 two-band would be pretty much the same.
I have brushes in all these hairs and this is my personal experience and opinion.

0 174
 10-05-2016, 01:20 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the good information gents, it helped me tremendously. I should have perused the shavemac site a bit more, because I found a description of all the choices, but first hand knowledge is invaluable..

Thanks again, I'm ordering my first Shavemac as we speak...

0 334
 10-05-2016, 02:02 PM
User Info
(10-05-2016, 01:20 PM)BlacknTan Wrote: Thanks for all the good information gents, it helped me tremendously. I should have perused the shavemac site a bit more, because I found a description of all the choices, but first hand knowledge is invaluable..

Thanks again, I'm ordering my first Shavemac as we speak...

I especially like the personal customization options Shavemac offers for their brushes.
The deducted VAT tax for the U.S. makes it a even better deal for such great brushes.
You will definitely won't be disappointed with a 2band silvertip.
I own 2 and should be expected 2 more brushes in ~ 2 weeks.

31 737
 10-06-2016, 09:51 AM
User Info
Thanks gents...

This one caught my eye and I ordered it... 20mm DO1 Two Band knot. In stock so it should be here soon....

Everyone is going bigger, I'm trending toward smaller .. The story of my life, a salmon swimming upstream...

BTW, very reasonably priced with the Euro down... Thanks Brexit!

[Image: shavemac_zpstrhrbrck.jpg]

0 334
 10-06-2016, 10:47 AM
User Info
Bill, congratulations on the new brush! Thumbsup
However, I don't know how you can use just a 20mm knot! I can't seem to use anything less than 26mm, nowadays and most of my knots are 28+mm.  Biggrin

83 21,077
 10-06-2016, 10:55 AM
User Info
FYI M&F Blonde Badger is not only 2-band hair, it's also 3-band silvertip hair. Most Blonde Badgers are 2-band hair, but you can find the occasional brush with Blonde Badger written on the brush handle, that features a 3-band Silvertip hair type.

The closest hair type from Shavemac to the older Simpson 2-band Silvertip/Super (the best 2-band hair from Simpson actually for the most part have Super written on the handle, but also sometimes Best _ the neweer Silvertip 2-band up untill 2013 could match that quality, but IMHO from 2014 and up untill present, the hair can NOT match the older 2-band Super quality from Simpson - this In MY Humble Opinion of course) would be SHAVEMAC 2-band Silvertip - NO DOUBT.

BTW if you ever find a Shavemac D01 2-band Silvertip that is close to floppy, pleaplse please please let me know - it would be a true rarity. Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip gives even Simpson Manchurian 2-band hair a run for its money regarding roughness. I have owned 15-16 Simpson Manchurians and 8-10 Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertips, and none of them have been anywhere close to be called soft, and far far far far far far far far away from being any where close to floppy.

A floppy Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip would have to be a brush with say a 22 mm knot size, and an 88-90 mm loft. NOT KIDDING YOU !

With that said, I truly enjoy my Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip brushes, they are custom made to fit my preferences, but let's just say I never pick one of my D01 2-Band's, when it's winter, cold outside, my skin is dry and kind of red and thin feeling...........do you get what I mean  Biggrin  Wink

If Mark Watterson ever were to start launching a custom made section for his trusty customers, that buy custom brushes, and know a little bit about shaving brushes, I would salute him 1000 times and start to build a new GREAT Simpson collection of fantastic badger hair brushes.

As it is now, Shavemac and bernd still is The King among badger brush makers, because Bernd can make you ANY KIND OF BRUSH you want.
He has sourced 4 PRIME badger hair types, which year after year seem to have almost the same hair quality, plus minus the natural element of badgers, but not with the variation you have seen in Simpson badger hair batches in Manchurian and 2-band hair if you look at PRE 2014 and POST ULTIMO 2014.

Badgers are living creatures and as such their hair are BOUND TO VARY, because they live in the wild and you can't source a hair fro them, that will have a constant look and feel, but Either Bernd has bought enough hair from the same year to make a million 25 mm knot size brushes or he has access to a source, that can deliever a very constant grade of badger hair.

Not all are fans of Shavemac, but I truly believe this is down to two reasons:

1. They haven't got their specs right the first or second time around
2. They cherish another brand and look kind of down on Shavemac

This is all my subjective opinion of course. Take it for what it is.

FYI I have never been sponsored by Shavemac nor Bernd, and I have always paid full price minus the Diamond discount of 8% (you get to Diamond level, once you buy multiple brushes from Shavemac)

In fact my current favourite brushes are NOT made by Shavemac, but Thäter (but Shavemac makes the handles for them up to 30 mm)

24 5,965
 10-06-2016, 11:13 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Congrats on a nice looking classic style brush, enjoy.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-06-2016, 11:18 AM
User Info
(10-06-2016, 10:55 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: FYI M&F Blonde Badger is not only 2-band hair, it's also 3-band silvertip hair. Most Blonde Badgers are 2-band hair, but you can find the occasional brush with Blonde Badger written on the brush handle, that features a 3-band Silvertip hair type.

The closest hair type from Shavemac to the older Simpson 2-band Silvertip/Super (the best 2-band hair from Simpson actually for the most part have Super written on the handle, but also sometimes Best _ the neweer Silvertip 2-band up untill 2013 could match that quality, but IMHO from 2014 and up untill present, the hair can NOT match the older 2-band Super quality from Simpson - this In MY Humble Opinion of course) would be SHAVEMAC 2-band Silvertip - NO DOUBT.

BTW if you ever find a Shavemac D01 2-band Silvertip that is close to floppy, pleaplse please please let me know - it would be a true rarity. Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip gives even Simpson Manchurian 2-band hair a run for its money regarding roughness. I have owned 15-16 Simpson Manchurians and 8-10 Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertips, and none of them have been anywhere close to be called soft, and far far far far far far far far away from being any where close to floppy.

A floppy Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip would have to be a brush with say a 22 mm knot size, and an 88-90 mm loft. NOT KIDDING YOU !

With that said, I truly enjoy my Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip brushes, they are custom made to fit my preferences, but let's just say I never pick one of my D01 2-Band's, when it's winter, cold outside, my skin is dry and kind of red and thin feeling...........do you get what I mean  Biggrin  Wink

If Mark Watterson ever were to start launching a custom made section for his trusty customers, that buy custom brushes, and know a little bit about shaving brushes, I would salute him 1000 times and start to build a new GREAT Simpson collection of fantastic badger hair brushes.

As it is now, Shavemac and bernd still is The King among badger brush makers, because Bernd can make you ANY KIND OF BRUSH you want.
He has sourced 4 PRIME badger hair types, which year after year seem to have almost the same hair quality, plus minus the natural element of badgers, but not with the variation you have seen in Simpson badger hair batches in Manchurian and 2-band hair if you look at PRE 2014 and POST ULTIMO 2014.

Badgers are living creatures and as such their hair are BOUND TO VARY, because they live in the wild and you can't source a hair fro them, that will have a constant look and feel, but Either Bernd has bought enough hair from the same year to make a million 25 mm knot size brushes or he has access to a source, that can deliever a very constant grade of badger hair.

Not all are fans of Shavemac, but I truly believe this is down to two reasons:

1. They haven't got their specs right the first or second time around
2. They cherish another brand and look kind of down on Shavemac

This is all my subjective opinion of course. Take it for what it is.

FYI I have never been sponsored by Shavemac nor Bernd, and I have always paid full price minus the Diamond discount of 8% (you get to Diamond level, once you buy multiple brushes from Shavemac)

In fact my current favourite brushes are NOT made by Shavemac, but Thäter (but Shavemac makes the handles for them up to 30 mm)
That 'floppy' 2 band D01 esq, with enough loft to discredit any scratch, yet gooey tipped like the best 2 band standard, is what I have been trying to emulate; calling them 'unique' knots in my group buys. I love these knots alongside the standard 2 band silvertips. I asked Bernd for a specific type of density (not figure as I didn't know) and subsequent hair feel. Here are a couple of my unique knot brushes in bulb and fan pre - post bloom.

I have a flat top extreme D01 2 band, unique and standard 2 band being posted tomorrow as well Smile
[Image: IMG_2504_zpsqyfcilgf.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2550_zpsokawhw79_edit_1472986969507_zpsmidy1kv8.jpg]

0 847
 10-06-2016, 12:52 PM
User Info
[Image: J4plRM7.jpg]

Try as I might, I've never been able to source a knot from Shavemac that looks quite like that. I've ordered several and finally have the loft zeroed in, but not that hair quality. I've asked, but I guess I haven't expressed myself properly, or the stock just hasn't been on hand at the time. That's one beautiful knot.

29 1,776
 10-06-2016, 12:55 PM
User Info
Thank you, it was part of the last group buy (earlier this year) I conducted with Bernd.

0 847
 10-06-2016, 01:15 PM
User Info
(10-05-2016, 12:06 PM)Rudy Vey Wrote: For the Simpson Super 2-band as well as the M&F Blonde, the best equivalent would be the Silvertip Two-band.
For the Manchurian, the D01 two-band would be pretty much the same.
I have brushes in all these hairs and this is my personal experience and opinion.

And Rudy will make you a beautiful custom handle for that knot at a very nice price!  I've purchased 5 or 6 brushes from him over the years, and each time I get excellent service.

53 1,199
 10-08-2016, 12:05 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Just put a few shavemac 2 band silvertip up for sale on BST.

37 1,862
 10-09-2016, 10:03 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have two DO-1 two-band brushes and they are among my favorites.  BUT, at first they had so much scritch I could not, or would not, use them.  I worked those brushes under severe conditions, including performing brush strokes on very, very fine sandpaper!!!l  Yes, you are reading that correctly.  I also used conditioner every night for a week, leaving the conditioner in overnight. However, once they were "broken in" they were among the best I have - tremendous backbone and great softness.  Unless Shavemac has found a less rough DO-1 two-band hair, I would expect a rough ride at first, but it is great when it breaks in.

1 795
 10-09-2016, 02:13 PM
User Info
I have a couple of Simpson Manchurian brushes, and quite a few brushes with the Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip. To me, the Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip is very similar to the Simpson Manchurian, in both appearance and performance.  In fact, I think I would give a slight edge to the Shavemac. And that edge gets a lot bigger when you consider the price tags on the two knots.

0 352
 10-09-2016, 04:45 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-09-2016, 02:13 PM)nelamvr6 Wrote: I have a couple of Simpson Manchurian brushes, and quite a few brushes with the Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip. To me, the Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip is very similar to the Simpson Manchurian, in both appearance and performance.  In fact, I think I would give a slight edge to the Shavemac. And that edge gets a lot bigger when you consider the price tags on the two knots.

+1 on both counts

0 1,694
 10-09-2016, 05:18 PM
User Info
(10-09-2016, 04:45 PM)BobH Wrote:
(10-09-2016, 02:13 PM)nelamvr6 Wrote: I have a couple of Simpson Manchurian brushes, and quite a few brushes with the Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip. To me, the Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip is very similar to the Simpson Manchurian, in both appearance and performance.  In fact, I think I would give a slight edge to the Shavemac. And that edge gets a lot bigger when you consider the price tags on the two knots.

+1 on both counts

+2 on both counts too  Badger

Which is why I'm selling most of my Simpson Manchurians at the moment. I honestly prefer the Shavemac D01 2-band hair grade and I can get them in ANY knot size, knot shape and in ANY handle design I want in any handle size I prefer. 
An example. I like the Chubby 2 knot, but dislike the smallish handle. I enjoy the Chubby 3 handle somewhat, but would prefer it 25% taller and 10% slimmer with two belt rings, close to a M&F 3XL in size, a little bit fatter and taller. What to do ? Send an email to Bernd, ask for a Chubby 2 like D01 2-band knot in a handle design I make, then choose between a couple of 100 resin colour rodstock materials, Voilá and the brush is in progress.

And No, I'm still not sponsored by Shavemac, and in fact my preferred badger brush brand right now is Thäter.

24 5,965