10-05-2016, 05:53 PM
User Info
Ok - someone had to come with this thread. Can somebody who has both - please compare these two razors?
Thanks

5 297
 10-05-2016, 06:16 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The Wolfman is the most beautifully crafted DE I have ever owned. I am fortunate to have been able to acquire examples in Stainless Steel, Bronze, Titanium and Aluminium. I have both Open Comb and Safety Bar, but only with the standard gap option. The lighter weight materials seem to function better for me. The razor is just above mid level aggressive. It is not mild like a Feather AS D2 and not aggressive like a Joris. It's similar in aggressiveness to the iKon Standard and Deluxe (or just below). Its an efficient razor. In my hands it requires some concentration to achieve the best results.

I've owned the Blackbird in 101mm and 70mm handle options and in Polished and Black Oxide finishes. My preference is Polished and at this time the 101mm handle (although I predict the 85mm will end up being best for me). The Blackbird is similar in aggressiveness and efficiency, however it is more user friendly on my face. It never leaves any irritation whatsoever. Unfortunately The Wolfman (in my hands) can often cause some irritation to my neck (which is a problem area for me). Again, the Blackbird has never left me with any irritation, yet performs equally efficiently as the Wolfman.

If I had to make a choice between the most finely crafted Wolfman and the similarly efficient Blackbird, I'd have to choose the irritation free performance of the Blackbird over the unparalleled craftsmanship and attention to detail of the Wolfman.

99 18,011
 10-05-2016, 06:49 PM
User Info
Wolfman prevails on aesthetics .  Blackbird on performance, by a hair............BBS-1 beats them both.

6 199
 10-05-2016, 07:34 PM
User Info
(10-05-2016, 06:49 PM)Never2Close Wrote: Wolfman prevails on aesthetics .  Blackbird on performance, by a hair............BBS-1 beats them both.

Took the words out of my mouth.

BBS-1 is only a hair better than a Polished Blackbird ONLY because of the slightly more generous effective angle.

For a newbie, I'd suggest a black oxide bird as that that thing is VERY technique finicky and taught me proper technique quickly (Before the oxide BB I thought I had 'decent' technique; the oxide bird taught me different).

18 654
 10-05-2016, 07:43 PM
User Info
(10-05-2016, 06:49 PM)Never2Close Wrote: Wolfman prevails on aesthetics .  Blackbird on performance, by a hair............BBS-1 beats them both.

This is very true.. BBS-1 is something else

13 775
 10-05-2016, 08:16 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Love both but Blackbird takes first place. I'm the odd one, BBS-1 was not my kind of razor.
edit: agree with the next post, timeless is in my top 3 with the Blackbird and Wolfmans.

28 1,442
 10-05-2016, 08:24 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
I'm totally going to throw a 3rd in here... Timeless needs to be in this fight... my neck has always been a trouble area and the 34c was able to handle it good, the Timeless handles it beautifully, zero irritation, very comfortable yet very efficient 2 pass shave and I'm all done and very close, infact on my neck I think I can get away with one pass with the Timeless.

2 457
 10-05-2016, 10:09 PM
User Info
+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

19 585
 10-05-2016, 10:11 PM
User Info
(10-05-2016, 08:24 PM)iShave Wrote: I'm totally going to throw a 3rd in here... Timeless needs to be in this fight... my neck has always been a trouble area and the 34c was able to handle it good, the Timeless handles it beautifully, zero irritation, very comfortable yet very efficient 2 pass shave and I'm all done and very close, infact on my neck I think I can get away with one pass with the Timeless.
Glad you mentioned this. I enjoy my Timeless a little more than the BBS 1!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

19 585
 10-06-2016, 03:40 AM
User Info
I owned wolfman , BB, BBS1. Performance wise I didn't like wolfman standard and aggressive gap.
I liked the performance of BB by a hairy margin over BBS1. However bbs1 glide little smoother on my face.
my suggestion would be look
For bbs1 and BB.
Out of two , BB is a winner due to the cost and beautiful performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 10-06-2016, 05:31 AM
User Info
Interesting thread.

I have been hesitant to get the Blackbird because I am concerned that it will be too aggressive for me. I have a stepped down 0.54 Wolfman and enjoy it. Also have the 0.68 Scalloped Timeless. 

I've been wondering more than ever before whether to take a leap of faith and try the Blackbird. Really insightful comments here.

My only other uncertainty in the matter is regarding after market handles and the Blackbird. Do certain handles not fit at all? I am not saying it's a deal breaker for me either way, but it is something that I am curious about.

9 1,411
 10-06-2016, 07:08 AM
User Info
(10-06-2016, 05:31 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: Interesting thread.

I have been hesitant to get the Blackbird because I am concerned that it will be too aggressive for me. I have a stepped down 0.54 Wolfman and enjoy it. Also have the 0.68 Scalloped Timeless. 

I've been wondering more than ever before whether to take a leap of faith and try the Blackbird. Really insightful comments here.

My only other uncertainty in the matter is regarding after market handles and the Blackbird. Do certain handles not fit at all? I am not saying it's a deal breaker for me either way, but it is something that I am curious about.

Can you comment on the aggressiveness of the 0.58 Wolfman and 0.68 Timeless?  How do they compare in terms of aggressiveness to a Merkur 34, EJ 89 or Fatboy/Slim?

1 158
 10-06-2016, 09:11 AM
User Info
(10-06-2016, 05:31 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: Interesting thread.

The Blackbird baseplate has a recession which the handle fits into. I haven't tried other handles, but have read that some work,and some dont.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 10-06-2016, 09:17 AM
User Info
The Wolfman razor is a thing of beauty. The Blackbird is just plain cool as Hell. Artistic vs. cool factor. As far as fit and machining, both are perfect.

The Blackbird easily won out for me in terms of performance. They both gave me a hockey rink smooth shave, but the Blackbird was MUCH more comfortable on my neck.

As much as I didn't want to, I sold my Wolfman. It was just too expensive of a razor to not get used regularly. Alternatively, I bought a second Blackbird. It is my all time favorite razor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 10-06-2016, 10:01 AM
User Info
Blackbird for performance and wolfman for looks. The Blackbird is my favorite razor. For what it's worth I hated the BBS-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 10-06-2016, 10:41 AM
User Info
I find the Wolfman (OC 0.74) to be a tad more aggressive than the Timeless (OC 0.95) and BB (1st version oxide) with the given handle (I think WRH-2). However on the ATT bamboo or Bulldog handles the Wolfman head is transformed. It is my favourite razor. Timeless OC and my BB are tied at number 2. I really want to get the BB OC in polished to truly compare the 3 open combs, that being without the sharp corners (which I don't scrape across my face anymore) and reduced drag.

Beyond efficiency as each is super efficient IMO. It is the feeling of the combs as well as every other performance perspective beyond blade feel.

Positives of each. In terms of audio feedback the Timeless is a drum whilst the other two aren't exactly quiet. Wolfman has the superior finish. BB shaves more efficiently than both of these OC razors yet is a SB (in my shaves).

0 847
 10-06-2016, 11:32 AM
User Info
I use a Wolfman WRH-1 on the Blackbird and it works perfectly.

6 199
 10-06-2016, 02:34 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I had the Wolfman, standard gap, and also got an pre-order blackbird from the campaign, and of the two the blackbird was best for me. The finish on my pre-order wasn't as fancy as what is being offered now, but for the sake of the OP, even with the less than perfect finish the blackbird would be the winner.

As for the Timeless, I recently acquired a plain bar in the .68 gap, and am really liking it. So far it is the razor I prefer to reach for, though I don't have many shaves on it.

On a simpler note...and much milder, my X3 with a Weber classic handle is performing exceptionally well, but it is very mild.

Of the two compared, I'd choose the Blackbird. Mine wasn't the prettiest, but it worked beautifully.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

74 1,510
 10-06-2016, 04:22 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
I'm really trying hard to not buy a blackbird... must save money for the potential of getting on the Wolfman lit and with just buying a Timeless razor, but this thread is making this hard! Does the blackbird have any neat engraving like what the Timeless did with putting the blade gap on the side and the cool logo on the end of the handle.

2 457
 10-06-2016, 04:36 PM
User Info
I have a rather coarse beard; preferring pretty aggressive razors. Does anyone with similar beard type have feedback regarding the blackbird's performance?

26 235