10-06-2016, 10:30 AM
User Info
I have for a long time used Clinique Scruffing Lotion applied to the entire facial area after my shave, but before applying my after shave splash/balm.

One could consider this a toner but also an astringent, because it contains alcohol and removes dead skin cells from the forehead and nose region and other places, where the razor has not visited.

As I get older, I seem to need this astringent less and less, as my skin ages, and now I'm focussing on gettting a mild toner - thus the reason I just boughht 4 Thayers Alcohol Free unscented witch hazel 12 oz bottles.

But also saw, that Dickinson's make a mentholated camphor menthol alcohol astringent and also purchased one 15 oz bottle of that, for when I have oily skin (mostly during the summer)

Thought I had the perfect toner/stringent in my Baxter Facial Toner, but it contains parabens, and although I don't mind having parabens in some of my shaving creams and soaps, I don't like it in a product I intend to use after each and every shave. So will not repurchase the Baxter, once it runs out, even though it has a nice soft mentholated relaxing skin feel and also contains witch hazel.

Do you guys use a toner or an astringent after your shave, before after shave splash/balm application or is this just for metro Gents Tongue

24 5,849
 10-06-2016, 10:47 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
COLD water and a alcohol or witchhazel based aftershave. Aside from hydration if you want healthy skin diet and a hat has the greatest influence. I'd rather drop $20 on a salmon filet and  white wine than another skin care product.

2 3,171
 10-06-2016, 11:23 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I like Thayers the best. Mild Toning, minimal scent.

59 4,389
 10-06-2016, 11:26 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
The best toner/ astringent I've tried is the Shea Moisture Shave Tea Tree After Shave. By far the best after shave product for me. Thayers is pretty good too, but not that good. I use toners the last three years, I like them a lot.

The bad thing with the camphor scented toners is that the scent lasts more than an hour, even after the appliance of an after shave lotion. That's why I gave the extra Thayers Medicated I had to a friend of mine. I almost finished one, but I couldn't stand another bottle of this one.

Claus, it would be better to try different scents of Thayers toners than ordering four Unscented ones. Just my opinion. I can understand why you did that, just saying. Most Thayers have a light pleasant scent, for example the Original Aloe Vera has a very light green scent that vanishes after a couple of minutes. The Rose Petal version has a light scent too that doesn't last. I am looking forward to your opinion about them anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy them.

49 1,940
 10-06-2016, 12:15 PM
User Info
(10-06-2016, 11:26 AM)nikos.a Wrote: The best toner/ astringent I've tried is the Shea Moisture Shave Tea Tree After Shave. By far the best after shave product for me. Thayers is pretty good too, but not that good. I use toners the last three years, I like them a lot.

The bad thing with the camphor scented toners is that the scent lasts more than an hour, even after the appliance of an after shave lotion. That's why I gave the extra Thayers Medicated I had to a friend of mine. I almost finished one, but I couldn't stand another bottle of this one.

Claus, it would be better to try different scents of Thayers toners than ordering four Unscented ones. Just my opinion. I can understand why you did that, just saying. Most Thayers have a light pleasant scent, for example the Original Aloe Vera has a very light green scent that vanishes after a couple of minutes. The Rose Petal version has a light scent too that doesn't last. I am looking forward to your opinion about them anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Trust me, I almost bought 2 of each Thayers alcohol free toners, but in the end decided to go for 4 x the unscented, because I have so many scents already clashing, that I would prefer to not have yet another scent to consider. First you have the shaivng soap/cream scent, then the after shave Splash, then the after shave balm (I always use a both after my shave), then my fragrance du jour, which always any way overpowers the others by a mile - I'm a member of the Trusty oversprayers Club on basenotes  Biggrin

I might buy them anyway (perhaps you know me, I'm quite fickle by nature  Wink ) but I just like to have a toner, that I use daily, that is without a scent and just works as a toner. Nothing else.
No scent neeeded, even if the Cucumber sounds fresh, the laverder sound calming, the rose sounds feminine and would please my girlfriend and also to some extent me (Rose was considered a very manly scent in the 18.th century)

Regarding the camphor scented toner I bought, it also contains menthol and eucalyptus, and I hope these will overpower most of the camphor scent in the astringent.
If not, I will get rid of it.
But the astringent is only a product I will use on the T area, forehead, nose area and around the ears, where the skin tend to be more oily.

I still have an old bottle of 400 ml Clinique Clarifying lotion, my girl friend uses. I'll just use that as my astringent, if the camphor scent is unbearable.

24 5,849
 10-06-2016, 12:21 PM
User Info
(10-06-2016, 10:47 AM)kav Wrote: COLD water and a alcohol or witchhazel based aftershave. Aside from hydration if you want healthy skin diet and a hat has the greatest influence. I'd rather drop $20 on a salmon filet and  white wine than another skin care product.

I agree, Chris.

Healthy diet, proper sleep and exercise are the three most important ingredients behind healthy skin.

BUT - when this is said and done, a great toner and, when needed, a great atringent, is fantastic before applying your after shave. You should try it.

Thank god, I can still afford a good solid quality red wine and a couple of slices of lamb tenderloin for dinner, and still enjoy using a good skin toner - in fact the Thayers Toner is $40 cheaper, than the Clinique, I used to use for 20+ years, so I in fact just saved enough to get some lamb tenderloin and a bottle of 17% Amarone for dinner tonight  Thumbup

24 5,849
 10-06-2016, 02:45 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I use an alum block post shave and pre after shave lotion. Apparently an astringent is a toner by definition according to the definition of astringent in Encyclopedia Britannica.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-06-2016, 05:38 PM
User Info
I use Thayers prior to the aftershave.

This is especially useful on the days I ride my bike to work. I will shave and use Thayers only and then ride in.

Once I get to work I clean up and then use just the aftershave.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4 465
 10-06-2016, 06:39 PM
User Info
I use plain witch hazel but no balm.  I have oily skin and live in tropical weather, so don't need a balm.

48 5,727
 10-06-2016, 08:27 PM
User Info
(10-06-2016, 02:45 PM)BobH Wrote: I use an alum block post shave and pre after shave lotion. Apparently an astringent is a toner by definition according to the definition of astringent in Encyclopedia Britannica.

Bob

An astringent may also be a toner by definition, but the guys in the skin care business defines an astringent as a rougher tonic, that usually contains alcohol and will clean deeper, while a toner is a softer more gentle product.

A toner can be used several times a day, also for people with dry skin, because the toner is mild, often without alcohol.
An astringent is not a product, that should be used several times a day, unless you have very oily skin.

24 5,849
 10-07-2016, 02:17 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-06-2016, 08:27 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 02:45 PM)BobH Wrote: I use an alum block post shave and pre after shave lotion. Apparently an astringent is a toner by definition according to the definition of astringent in Encyclopedia Britannica.

Bob

An astringent may also be a toner by definition, but the guys in the skin care business defines an astringent as a rougher tonic, that usually contains alcohol and will clean deeper, while a toner is a softer more gentle product.

A toner can be used several times a day, also for people with dry skin, because the toner is mild, often without alcohol.
An astringent is not a product, that should be used several times a day, unless you have very oily skin.

I guess that is the difference between a scientific definition of astringent and a cosmeticians definition of astringent. If you have oily skin as I do, the alum block will also help in that regard. If you have dry skin and use alum you may want to use a balm or moisturizer after it. For my skin type I can and do use alum twice a day as I shave twice a day with no ill effects. You have to know your own skin type/condition, usually through experiment, to see what works for you.

0 1,694
 10-07-2016, 02:44 AM
User Info
I use pure unscented witch hazel after every shave, immediately after I rinse, and have for a couple of years. It was the best thing I ever did for my face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 10-07-2016, 03:49 AM
User Info
I do use a toner from an Indian brand after my shaves. Helps close the pores and gives little nourishment to the skin.

I also have been using Clinique scruffing lotion but was advised by the consultant to use this before shave and not after the shaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 713
 10-07-2016, 04:16 AM
User Info
After shaving and getting the soap off:

Alum Bar
Alcohol based aftershave
Aveeno Daily Moisturing Lotion (For me, this performs better than the 3-4 aftershave balms I've tried)

I'll use Aloe and Witch Hazel if needed, though that isn't often.

0 52
 10-07-2016, 05:41 AM
User Info
(10-07-2016, 02:17 AM)BobH Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 08:27 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Bob

I guess that is the difference between a scientific definition of astringent and a cosmeticians definition of astringent. If you have oily skin as I do, the alum block will also help in that regard. If you have dry skin and use alum you may want to use a balm or moisturizer after it. For my skin type I can and do use alum twice a day as I shave twice a day with no ill effects. You have to know your own skin type/condition, usually through experiment, to see what works for you.

I disagree.

The scientific definition is the one, that goes into details to explain what the difference between the toner and the astringent really is.
The dictionary definition you have found tries to simplify things by putting two different products, though similar in some areas, into one and the same category.

If you have used a toner and an astringent, you would know the difference immediately.

A toner is like shaving with a Merkur Futur on setting 1 or 2.
An astringent is like shaving with a Merkur Futur on setting 5 or 6.

24 5,849
 10-07-2016, 06:24 AM
User Info
Hey Claus, I'm putting a bottle of my Replenish Post Shave Tonic in the mail for you today. Best of both worlds!

Smile

3 899
 10-07-2016, 06:35 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-07-2016, 05:41 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 02:17 AM)BobH Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 08:27 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: An astringent may also be a toner by definition, but the guys in the skin care business defines an astringent as a rougher tonic, that usually contains alcohol and will clean deeper, while a toner is a softer more gentle product.

I disagree.

The scientific definition is the one, that goes into details to explain what the difference between the toner and the astringent really is.
The dictionary definition you have found tries to simplify things by putting two different products, though similar in some areas, into one and the same category.

If you have used a toner and an astringent, you would know the difference immediately.

Whatever, I agree to disagree. I my case the difference makes no never mind as a great deal of the time in most hobbies we tend to way over think things.

0 1,694
 10-07-2016, 01:54 PM
User Info
Claus,
I agree with you on the unscented Thayers, I own several of the scented and I find I regularly reach for the unscented. The lavender in particular smells very artificial. Like the rose scented, but only with rose scented soap.

1 309
 10-08-2016, 05:36 AM
User Info
I like alcohol post shave. More the better. Tones and disinfects. After that I use a moisturizer so it does not matter if it is drying or not

3 742
 10-08-2016, 06:19 AM
User Info
(10-07-2016, 06:35 AM)BobH Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 05:41 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 02:17 AM)BobH Wrote: I guess that is the difference between a scientific definition of astringent and a cosmeticians definition of astringent. If you have oily skin as I do, the alum block will also help in that regard. If you have dry skin and use alum you may want to use a balm or moisturizer after it. For my skin type I can and do use alum twice a day as I shave twice a day with no ill effects. You have to know your own skin type/condition, usually through experiment, to see what works for you.

I disagree.

Whatever, I agree to disagree. I my case the difference makes no never mind as a great deal of the time in most hobbies we tend to way over think things.

Bob, overthinking shaving related things; isn't that what all these shaving forums are all about

24 5,849