10-07-2016, 08:01 AM
User Info
All of this week I'm shaving with a Maggard Razors 26mm synthetic brush with Plisson type fibers.  I posted my thoughts about this brush here:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=44417

This morning I used the brush with CRSW Barbershop soap.  I loaded the brush with a few swirls, took the brush to my face, and almost immediately I had built up a lot of lather.  I've used this same soap with numerous 2-band brushes, and I know that I have to load those brushes longer and with significantly more soap to get sufficient lather.

We know that synthetic brushes are extremely efficient at creating lather quickly.  However, I realized that perhaps the efficiency of synthetic brushes is not limited to the speed at which they create lather.  That efficiency may also extend to requiring less soap.  Have you had the same experience?

51 6,446
 10-07-2016, 08:15 AM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
Yes. I did an experiment where I overloaded my brushes so that I get enough lather for 3+ passes. I found that a new boar consumed most soap while a synthetic the least amount. I measured the weight using a scale. Didn't post the results anywhere as, well, I didn't think anyone would be interested Smile.

3 51
 10-07-2016, 08:26 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I generally use STF XL knots or Ubersoft II knots. I feel that they pick up the soap more quickly than my Shavemac 2-Band knots, and therefore don't need to be loaded as long, rather than requiring less soap. However, this is just my impression, and is in no way scientific, and I tend not to skimp on soap when loading, no matter which brush I'm using.

38 5,200
 10-07-2016, 09:47 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Though less experienced than most here, Ricardo, I would corroborate your findings. My (4)  Synthetics definitely need less soap and time to build their best lather. My (2) badgers (24mm Sterling Finest and 25x50mm Shavemac two band) both take a little more time and soap to build their best lather. I have the feeling that the badgers' lather when optimized, is a slightly more luxurious lather, more like the grest lathers that the folks here photograph. The resultant lathers shave equally well regardless of the method used to birth them.

0 363
 10-07-2016, 09:51 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I find they require a lot less soap then other brushes. Not good if you have a ton of soaps ;-)

28 1,449
 10-07-2016, 09:59 AM
User Info
Yes, a lot less soap.  They are remarkably more efficient.

In my experience, one of the many advantages of synthetics is that they can create their best lather when semi-loaded.  

Badgers on the other hand, seem to need to be fully loaded with product in order to produce good lather.  So for Badgers you need to calibrate the size of the knot to your preferred number of passes in order not to waste time and excess soap.  This has become somewhat of an issue for me as I have moved to a 2 pass shave and most of my badgers are 26 mm and up.  These days I almost always spend more than a minute loading my badgers and have at least a pass or two left over when I'm done.

In the end its really not that big of a deal but the short version is if I want to have a quick 1-2 pass shave I grab a synthetic.

11 972
 10-07-2016, 10:31 AM
User Info
I feel like they don't hold the lather like a badger meaning when in done shaving with a badger I could squeeze lather out of the brush where as with a synthetic that is minimal.

63 1,597
 10-07-2016, 10:36 AM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
(10-07-2016, 10:31 AM)ultra~nova Wrote: I feel like they don't hold the lather like a badger meaning when in done shaving with a badger I could squeeze lather out of the brush where as with a synthetic that is minimal.
That has been my exact observation when it comes to natural vs synthetic brushes.

Edit: my experience is limited to a small number of brushes though.

3 51
 10-07-2016, 11:46 AM
User Info
Low solid saturation needed for a good lather -> synthetic -> badger -> boar -> high solid saturation for a good lather
Then you have the face-feel, quality of lather, heat retention and subjectivity.

8 1,210
 10-07-2016, 12:10 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
No proof but I suspect synthetics pick up soap faster than badger brushes when loading them and give the impression of using less soap. In any event the synthetics are very efficient in creating lather. I am also one of those who likes to load a lot of soap into a brush and generally wash a lot down the drain after.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-07-2016, 12:44 PM
User Info
I have to agree with picking soap up quicker.

I only use a synthetic while traveling as I prefer natural hair by a large margin.

I see no difference in soap usage between the 2.

I load very heavily no matter the brush.

82 2,252
 10-07-2016, 09:00 PM
User Info
(10-07-2016, 09:51 AM)Snuff Wrote: I find they require a lot less soap then other brushes. Not good if you have a ton of soaps ;-)

+1

83 21,115
 10-08-2016, 04:22 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(10-07-2016, 10:31 AM)ultra~nova Wrote: I feel like they don't hold the lather like a badger meaning when in done shaving with a badger I could squeeze lather out of the brush where as with a synthetic that is minimal.

I'm usually able to squeeze a decent amount of lather out of my synthetics after a shave. I think the reason they don't use as much soap is because the fibers are solid so they don't soak up as much soap.

3 587
 10-08-2016, 06:26 AM
User Info
Agree. Still don't like them. Only badgers have that quality of holding heat well. Nothing better then face lathering and giving a dense badger that nudge to release all that warm water in the center of the knot. No other brush type does that.

3 742
 10-08-2016, 07:41 AM
User Info
My synthetic (which sees little use) seems to be very frugal with soaps. I know some people love 'em for this reason, but I'm a natural hair guy - chew through soaps with big knots!

29 1,208
 10-08-2016, 12:33 PM
User Info
I have a 22mm Maggard synthetic. I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

0 13
 10-08-2016, 12:51 PM
User Info
(10-08-2016, 12:33 PM)golem Wrote: I have a 22mm Maggard synthetic. I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Hi golem.  I see you just joined today.  Great to see you posting on your first day!  If you have a chance, please tell us about yourself in the Introductions section, so we can give you a proper welcome.

The Maggard synthetics do indeed perform well above their price point.

51 6,446
 10-08-2016, 12:55 PM
User Info
(10-08-2016, 12:51 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Hi golem.  I see you just joined today.  Great to see you posting on your first day!  If you have a chance, please tell us about yourself in the Introductions section, so we can give you a proper welcome.

The Maggard synthetics do indeed perform well above their price point.

Thank you for the welcome, TheLethalRazor. I'll head over to the introductions and follow your suggestion.

0 13
 10-08-2016, 01:12 PM
User Info
Agreed Ricardo. This is one of the reason why I like synthetics, I'm a miser and hoarder with my soaps, I like having plenty and plenty for backup! Biggrin

It's very easy to make lather and I don't need to soak. I cold shave btw.

11 1,170
 10-08-2016, 02:22 PM
User Info
My experience with synthetics has gone from ignoring them to finally buying the cheapest I could find, learned how well they perform, buying the Muhle, EJ, HIS, and ultimately giving all of them up for my one true love --- the Razorock Monster Plissoft synthetic. A big bold beautiful synthetic that I now use every single day. I'm completely satisfied with the thick rich lather it makes, and the way it performs through out the shave. And the cost!  $10 plus shipping. Performs as well as/better than any of the others.

24 1,226