10-08-2016, 06:52 AM
User Info
i am just about to buy a new brush, and looking for a soft, larger head ..

i considered Kent BLK12, but read several forums that Simpson Chubby3 best is the winner ... but then i came across the super.

other than the price, what is the difference?  best vs super?  do i go with the super?

thanks

0 6
 10-08-2016, 07:59 AM
User Info
I don't have a chubby 3, but I have a CH 2 in best and a CH 2 in super.
I would probably keep both as I love both. But in terms of value the best can't be beat. It feels just as luxurious and as great quality as the super.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 68
 10-08-2016, 09:07 AM
User Info
I have owned a dozen or so Simpson brushes and have found just one best knot I have enjoyed. I like a brush with zero scratch and almost every best brush I have owned had this to some degree. My one best that was incredible btw was a carter era Duke 2. This brush had soft tips and not as much back bone as what is offered today. I am not a brush masher so backbone is not as important to me as some other gents. I would like to say that super offers a more luxurious consistent soft knot. My CH3 in super was insanely luxurious (also from the carter era) the tips were snowy white and the knot had that stuck to your face octopus effect. I honestly would pay a lot of money to have that brush back.

59 1,404
 10-08-2016, 09:25 AM
User Info
(10-08-2016, 06:52 AM)John Galt Wrote: i am just about to buy a new brush, and looking for a soft, larger head ..

i considered Kent BLK12, but read several forums that Simpson Chubby3 best is the winner ... but then i came across the super.

other than the price, what is the difference?  best vs super?  do i go with the super?

thanks
If you want soft tips, go with the bk12. Both bk12 I had (I sold one) had wonderfully soft hair. Both my chubby super badger (2 and 3) had more strictch than I cared.

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

0 163
 10-08-2016, 09:30 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I have an older CH3 Best and a newer CH2 Super. Both grades are quite luxurious. I've read on this forum somewhere before that the difference in hair grades is relative to what's available to the factory at any given time. It's been said that Super knots are denser than Best knots. I'd have to agree, as that does seem to be the case with my brushes. However I've no way of quantifying or substantiating that. Both brushes are in regular rotation, each is used at least every seven to ten days. They're both equally pleasurable.

Get both Wink

4 1,898
 10-08-2016, 09:43 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
You are going to get different answers here.  Unfortunately, Best has been inconsistent throughout the years so different members will have different experiences based on what they got.  The same can be said for Super, although to a lesser degree (from my experience). I have had good and bad examples of both  Undecided

It doesn't hurt to try one (or both) and if it is not to your satisfaction, you can always list it for sale on BST (once you have established yourself as a member in good standing) and get most of your money back.

34 1,628
 10-08-2016, 10:24 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I have owned all of the brushes you have mentioned: CH3 in Best and Super, as well as the Kent BK12. The only brush I kept if the three is the CH3 in Super. The softest of the three was the Kent. I owned the whole series of the Kents BK2,4,8, and 12. While very pillowy-soft, it lacked the backbone I prefer. They are the edge of floppy.

As for the Simpsons, I preferred the Super to the best in the Chubby line due to the slight increase in density and the light increase in the softness of the tips on the Super. I also own a decent number o 2-band Silvertip and Manchurian Simpsons. I prefer those hairs over the 3-band Super, but you will pay much more.

I was able to buy, at a reasonable cost, my CH3 in Super on the BST. That might be your compromise. Postin the WTB section that you are seeking a CH3 in Super. Buy a nice used one for a fair price. If it isn't what you want, re-sell it or trade for the Best. You've got nothing to lose. In fact, you'll save doing it that way.

61 507
 10-08-2016, 11:02 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(10-08-2016, 10:24 AM)gp569900 Wrote: I was able to buy, at a reasonable cost, my CH3 in Super on the BST. That might be your compromise.  Postin the WTB section that you are seeking a CH3 in Super. Buy a nice used one for a fair price. If it isn't what you want, re-sell it or trade for the Best. You've got nothing to lose. In fact, you'll save doing it that way.

This is a good suggestion.  Especially since you can talk to the current owner and get a (hopefully) accurate description of the hair quality.

34 1,628
 10-08-2016, 11:55 AM
User Info
Super = much denser (I also find it softer and a wonderful knot).
Best = very nice, but less dense and you may find it a tad 'floppy', or, in other words, too much splay. Of course, YMMV.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 10-08-2016, 02:58 PM
User Info
I have owned a Ch2 in super and still own a Ch2 in Best - WHY ?

The CH2 Best from 2012 is a true limited edition and it is softer at the tips, has better backbone, better flowthrough, better face feel and has whiter tips.

But the Super Ch2 was still an awesome brush.

Only thing I have against Chubby 2 is the too small handle. The knot is just about perfect for me in all the 4 different badger hair types. PERFECT KNOT !

24 5,833
 10-08-2016, 03:04 PM
User Info
Best is the Best  Biggrin

8 1,676
 10-08-2016, 03:26 PM
User Info
BTW I also have owned a Ch3 in Best and a Ch3 in Super, and also in this case I preferred the Ch3 in Best - but the Super was also a fantasic knot, but simply had too large a bloom for me to use it for face lathering comfortably.

24 5,833
 10-08-2016, 04:34 PM
User Info
great input - thanks everyone

0 6
 10-08-2016, 05:27 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Simpsons best badger is one of the best values, even given how overpriced Simpsons brushes are.

However, if you want soft tips and backbone and want to save some money -- Vie Long Epsilon two-band brushes at Gifts and Care, a Spanish website in English.

1 795
 10-11-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
(10-08-2016, 10:24 AM)gp569900 Wrote: I have owned all of the brushes you have mentioned: CH3 in Best and Super, as well as the Kent BK12. The only brush I kept if the three is the CH3 in Super. The softest of the three was the Kent. I owned the whole series of the Kents BK2,4,8, and 12. While very pillowy-soft, it lacked the backbone I prefer. They are the edge of floppy.

As for the Simpsons, I preferred the Super to the best in the Chubby line due to the slight increase in density and the light increase in the softness of the tips on the Super. I also own a decent number o 2-band Silvertip and Manchurian Simpsons. I prefer those hairs over the 3-band Super, but you will pay much more.

I was able to buy, at a reasonable cost, my CH3 in Super on the BST. That might be your compromise.  Postin the WTB section that you are seeking a CH3 in Super. Buy a nice used one for a fair price. If it isn't what you want, re-sell it or trade for the Best. You've got nothing to lose. In fact, you'll save doing it that way.

thanks for this info and suggestion.

0 6