10-09-2016, 06:33 AM
User Info
Anyone have any information on these rumors?

57 1,365
 10-09-2016, 06:36 AM
User Info
 10-09-2016, 06:38 AM
User Info
Sweet wonder what one will cost.

0 89
 10-09-2016, 06:38 AM
User Info
Interesting development.

24 1,208
 10-09-2016, 12:09 PM
User Info
Yes, interesting indeed.  I wonder who is behind this new venture.  Are they connected to the original W&B, or did they just acquire the name?  What is their background in making straight razors?

41 5,179
 10-09-2016, 12:10 PM
User Info
I'm quite interested in this as well. Are they related to the original WB?

20 656
 10-09-2016, 12:21 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
This information came out about six months ago, and as far as I can tell, nothing new has been released. I would be surprised if they were of the same quality and workmanship as the original W&B razors.

38 4,949
 10-09-2016, 12:24 PM
User Info
Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe the man behind Zulu Gray stones is behind this out of South Africa.
He bought the rights to the name and will be adding the name to new SR. Do not know who is making the blades.

6 91
 10-09-2016, 01:47 PM
User Info
For more information it is possible to follow the link to Facebook on the website listed above. The company has an active Facebook page that contains updates and additional information, for example specifically the name they have selected for their first razor model. It appears that the company addresses specific questions that are submitted on Facebook.

24 1,208
 10-09-2016, 07:12 PM
User Info
Similar to what happened a couple years back with puma and a couple others.. it's basically a name purchase.
Me personally, I don't like it. I look at it as riding off someone else's accomplishments.
I don't mean that to say the people that are doing it are wrong.
I just think if they are going to make a run at manufacturing razors, do it with your own name and not off of someone else's name

0 93
 10-10-2016, 03:44 AM
User Info
I would be curious to the quality

6 1,174
 10-10-2016, 04:55 AM
User Info
Michael the operator of Zulu grey hones bought the name, he's got some big shoes to fill but i'm curious to see how the modern version would stack up against the vintage. 
Look forward to trying one of them out when they are released.

7 775
 10-10-2016, 05:00 AM
User Info
(10-09-2016, 07:12 PM)MileMarker60 Wrote: Similar to what happened a couple years back with puma and a couple others.. it's basically a name purchase.
Me personally, I don't like it. I look at it as riding off someone else's accomplishments.
I just think if they are going to make a run at manufacturing razors, do it with your own name and not off of someone else's name

We can point to the example of what happened to Williams shaving soap. What once was an excellent product bearing that name has been bought and sold more than once, and now has become an inert ball of wax that isn't even worth the dirt cheap price. Let's hope the new owners are sincere as they have stated they are planning to use the W&B brand to identify products worthy of the W&B reputation of only the highest quality steel and workmanship.

24 1,208
 10-10-2016, 05:18 AM
User Info
I have seen several comments from Michael and he bought the name rights and intends to make razors - not necessarily mass produced, more like a Portland Razor type company.

I would be interested in seeing what they have and he does have big shoes to fill.  He also understands that the name is important and has vowed to keep up the high standards.

We will see.

4 463
 10-10-2016, 07:57 AM
User Info
(10-10-2016, 05:00 AM)brothers Wrote:
(10-09-2016, 07:12 PM)MileMarker60 Wrote: Similar to what happened a couple years back with puma and a couple others.. it's basically a name purchase.

We can point to the example of what happened to Williams shaving soap. What once was an excellent product bearing that name has been bought and sold more than once, and now has become an inert ball of wax that isn't even worth the dirt cheap price. Let's hope the new owners are sincere as they have stated they are planning to use the W&B brand to identify products worthy of the W&B reputation of only the highest quality steel and workmanship.

(10-10-2016, 05:18 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: I have seen several comments from Michael and he bought the name rights and intends to make razors - not necessarily mass produced, more like a Portland Razor type company.

I would be interested in seeing what they have and he does have big shoes to fill.  He also understands that the name is important and has vowed to keep up the high standards.

We will see.

I guess that is part of what I see differently.
IMHO, you can't do justice to a company that ran for a 100 years and has one of the most recognized names in vintage straight razors.
Like I said, it's not a knock to the guy that's trying to do it.

Cincinnatus.. In my opinion PRC is a mass produced razor, much the same a s Hart.
Don't get me wrong it's not a Dovo.. but I'm willing to say they would like to be and I don't see anything wrong with that.

0 93
 10-10-2016, 08:22 AM
User Info
(10-10-2016, 07:57 AM)MileMarker60 Wrote: I guess that is part of what I see differently.
IMHO, you can't do justice to a company that ran for a 100 years and has one of the most recognized names in vintage straight razors.
Like I said, it's not a knock to the guy that's trying to do it.

You are right.  Can he replicate everything about the company?  No - you will never have the talent the W&B built over the life of the company.  You will never have access to the steel that made Sheffield famous at the time razors were being made there so you can never say that this is truly a W&B but I hope that they stay true to the designs, etchings, and styles.

I have 6 W&B's and currently use 3 in my rotation and absolutely love them but have to say right now the razor that gives me the best shaves is a razor that was sold by an American hardware store that was made in Germany - stunning shaves, well balanced, has a bit of heft to it and is only a 6/8.  Am I getting rid of my W&B's - not on your life!

I guess it will be one of those wait and see type of situations.  If they hold true to quality and styles, he will do well - if he tries putting out designs that are odd, uses poor quality steel, or tries to overcharge because of the name it will be a short lived experiment.

I for one would like to get a 7/8 Celebrated Hollow Ground if they offer it but will wait for the reviews.  Being the fickle lot we are - the community will decide quickly whether he succeeded or failed.

[Image: wadefs77.jpg]

4 463
 10-11-2016, 12:53 AM
User Info
Hi Gents, 

Mike here. I stumbled onto this conversation so I thought I'd sign up and offer a few comments to add to the conversation. (amazing forum by the way, so I'm very glad to be here..)

I'd really like to address your comments Brian, as indeed a few others have expressed similar feelings - but I would like to chat briefly about where we are coming from so that perhaps others reading can have a fuller understanding of this venture. (and by the way Brian I am personally a big fan of your razor work, I believe you produce amongst the best of the current crop of custom makers, with restrained designs and attention to detail, so I fully respect and appreciate your comments).

I have not simply 'purchased the logo' so as to plonk it on inferior razors. No, not at all.. Rather, I am working in partnership with the current owner of both the W&B brand marks - but more importantly - the two original Sheffield companies. (Wade & Butcher Ltd., and W. & S. Butcher Ltd.) Together we are bringing the brand back to market (company based in Sheffield, production in South Africa). This is THE only way that W&B can ever return (with full legitimacy) to market, by the original business entity once again seeking to produce new cutlery - this is the only way that a newly made razor can rightfully bear the Wade & Butcher name and trademarks, and this fact gets me incredibly excited!

We can't bring back the dead, we can't utilise long-lost machinery/patterns/dies etc. and a factory space that is now a historic site. No, of course we can't do that. So much time has passed, and the only things remaining are the name, the brand-marks and the original business entities that have changed ownership from the 20's. And of course, the sheer passion and determination to see it done.
All old companies have changed hands in their history (people die), and methods of production have changed, and materials have changed, and locations have changed. There are really only two things that define any brand and that shouldn't ever change: its name and its ability and desire to produce true quality. And from those two points we are moving forward, owning the history that is ours.

The parallel drawn between Wade & Butcher and PRC and Hart - is also not accurate at all. We have no desire or plans to mass-produce our razors whatsoever. Our aim is to output a very limited number of blades a year, not try and strip things down so we can reach a monthly quota. There are enough entry-level/affordable razors on the market, and what we need is true quality/aspirational cutlery. This is the path we are taking, and frankly the only path that does justice to the W&B name. We will handcraft one blade at a time (to order) ensuring it represents the finest possible example of a straight razor. So our eye is that of a custom maker, except that we see no benefit in 'out-designing' ourselves with each creation. This only leads to garish designs, with juvenile ornamentation and a real lack of basic utility - as can be seen in many custom razors available today. 

So no, we will have defined models (The Irontusk Razor), that follow the classic lines of our heritage, as well as of course re-issuing the most popular W&B models from the past (FBU, Diamond Edge).

To me, the most accurate parallel would be a classic rifle maker (like Westley Richards), where the production numbers are very low, the quality is exceptionally high, and the design is timeless and an extension/evolution of their rich history.

Thanks Gents, sorry for the long post but hopefully the information is useful to some.

Sincerely, 
- Mike

0 4
 10-11-2016, 02:58 AM
User Info
Thanks Mike for your input.  I can't wait to see W&B come to life again and look forward to seeing the razors when they come out.

4 463
 10-11-2016, 04:15 AM
User Info
Mike, it's good to see you here and we look forward to your participation in our forum.  Best wishes for the success of your new venture and please keep us posted on developments.

41 5,179
 10-11-2016, 06:13 AM
User Info
So it's going to be a custom razor with the W & B name in it.
I hope it turns out well for you!
Do the guys grinding have any experience doing razors?

0 93