10-11-2016, 06:25 AM
User Info
(10-11-2016, 12:53 AM)wadeandbutcher Wrote: Hi Gents, 

Mike here. I stumbled onto this conversation so I thought I'd sign up and offer a few comments to add to the conversation. (amazing forum by the way, so I'm very glad to be here..)

I'd really like to address your comments Brian, as indeed a few others have expressed similar feelings - but I would like to chat briefly about where we are coming from so that perhaps others reading can have a fuller understanding of this venture. (and by the way Brian I am personally a big fan of your razor work, I believe you produce amongst the best of the current crop of custom makers, with restrained designs and attention to detail, so I fully respect and appreciate your comments).

I have not simply 'purchased the logo' so as to plonk it on inferior razors. No, not at all.. Rather, I am working in partnership with the current owner of both the W&B brand marks - but more importantly - the two original Sheffield companies. (Wade & Butcher Ltd., and W. & S. Butcher Ltd.) Together we are bringing the brand back to market (company based in Sheffield, production in South Africa). This is THE only way that W&B can ever return (with full legitimacy) to market, by the original business entity once again seeking to produce new cutlery - this is the only way that a newly made razor can rightfully bear the Wade & Butcher name and trademarks, and this fact gets me incredibly excited!

We can't bring back the dead, we can't utilise long-lost machinery/patterns/dies etc. and a factory space that is now a historic site. No, of course we can't do that. So much time has passed, and the only things remaining are the name, the brand-marks and the original business entities that have changed ownership from the 20's. And of course, the sheer passion and determination to see it done.
All old companies have changed hands in their history (people die), and methods of production have changed, and materials have changed, and locations have changed. There are really only two things that define any brand and that shouldn't ever change: its name and its ability and desire to produce true quality. And from those two points we are moving forward, owning the history that is ours.

The parallel drawn between Wade & Butcher and PRC and Hart - is also not accurate at all. We have no desire or plans to mass-produce our razors whatsoever. Our aim is to output a very limited number of blades a year, not try and strip things down so we can reach a monthly quota. There are enough entry-level/affordable razors on the market, and what we need is true quality/aspirational cutlery. This is the path we are taking, and frankly the only path that does justice to the W&B name. We will handcraft one blade at a time (to order) ensuring it represents the finest possible example of a straight razor. So our eye is that of a custom maker, except that we see no benefit in 'out-designing' ourselves with each creation. This only leads to garish designs, with juvenile ornamentation and a real lack of basic utility - as can be seen in many custom razors available today. 

So no, we will have defined models (The Irontusk Razor), that follow the classic lines of our heritage, as well as of course re-issuing the most popular W&B models from the past (FBU, Diamond Edge).

To me, the most accurate parallel would be a classic rifle maker (like Westley Richards), where the production numbers are very low, the quality is exceptionally high, and the design is timeless and an extension/evolution of their rich history.

Thanks Gents, sorry for the long post but hopefully the information is useful to some.

Sincerely, 
- Mike

This is a very well thought out post, and business model, if I may say so.

So much so, that it has taken my attitude past the point of, "wait and see," to genuine excitement to see what will be coming!

Best of luck with this properly planned venture!

0 334
 10-11-2016, 06:41 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Mike (wadeandbutcher)

Welcome to the TSN forum! Needless to say—I'm pretty darn excited about reading how Wade and Butcher is rekindling the flames. Is there a list where I can sign-up to acquire one of the new straights, when produced? Thanks.

Jim

12 609
 10-11-2016, 12:44 PM
User Info
I do believe I will be in line for one of these razors if they are produced as well as they say they will be.

6 1,295
 10-11-2016, 01:47 PM
User Info
(10-11-2016, 12:44 PM)Panther308 Wrote: I do believe I will be in line for one of these razors if they are produced as well as they say they will be.

I also hope to be in line right behind you!

24 1,215
 10-12-2016, 01:31 AM
User Info
I would like to try one trouble being these razors are being produced in South Africa also they are going to be a premium high end product with a high cost not that the price will put me off, but the deal breaker for me would be import duty to the UK which would kill the deal for me.

11 1,927
 10-12-2016, 03:50 AM
User Info
(10-11-2016, 06:13 AM)MileMarker60 Wrote: So it's going to be a custom razor with the W & B name in it.
I hope it turns out well for you!
Do the guys grinding have any experience doing razors?

Hey Brian, 

Well, yes I suppose that is correct - however - summing it up as : ... Wade & Butcher razors will be individually handcrafted with the care and attention of a custom/bespoke razor ... sort of frames the concept better, and is more accurate.

I am working with two other craftsmen. One will assist me with machining tasks (producing our 'Butcher-Block' custom fitted cases, titanium custom pivot barrels etc.) and the other will assist with expert heat treatment of the Damasteel and Uddeholm steels that we're using. (in time I will take over heat treatment myself).

But really in essence, I will head up and see to all other aspects of crafting each razor - so this is really my personal labor of love; design/grinding/fitting/finishing/packaging. Each blade will have my initials as maker as well as the place of origin : JMC • RSA  =  (James Michael Cramer • Republic of South Africa).

Indeed I do not have a long history of making and selling razors. I am a designer by profession and I have been collecting/restoring razors for the last 12 years. 
I have then in the last 3 years been actively prototyping razors and getting fully acquainted with all aspects of razor making, having invested in custom designed tools and machines for my purposes in realising this revival of the Wade & Butcher brand. 

To be sure, I would not be using terms like 'True Quality', 'luxury', 'Bespoke' etc. if I was not sure of our ability to deliver on or exceed these expectations. I feel folks will be well impressed with Wade & Butchers future Smile

Thanks, 
- Mike

0 4
 10-12-2016, 04:48 AM
User Info
(10-12-2016, 01:31 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I would like to try one trouble being these razors are being prouced in South Africa also they are going to be a premium high end product with a high cost not that the price will put me off, but the deal breaker for me would be import duty to the UK which would kill the deal for me.

Firstly, thanks so much to everyone here for the kind words of support, it means a great deal I can tell you.

Hi Jamie, we're carrying on from our last conversation it seems Smile 
But no for sure, I do hear you and it is certainly something each customer needs to think about beforehand. I do not know the specifics of the import duties on small luxury goods going into the UK - but I will look it up and see to what degree it will potentially increase the overall cost of our razors. Like I said before, we may be able to have some stock down the line sent to Durham Duplex in Sheffield for dispatch to customers in the UK, but orders will vary and overall QTY of razors made will be small-batch as mentioned before, so I'm not entirely sure how best to tackle this. If a reputable retail store in the UK and USA would at some point purchase a small wholesale order, then that would be a way to purchase a razor and avoid the import duties. But again, that is only a potential and is some ways down the road.

To start we will for sure exclusively take orders from our website (PayPal and CC) and as I said elsewhere there will be a limited number of open pre-order spots starting next year. Folks that have signed up for our newsletter on our site: http://www.wadeandbutcher.com will be notified early of the relaunch, and will be given a sizable discount on the regular price of our first razor (The Irontusk Razor). So, to save money if you are adamant that you want first option on a new Wade & Butcher razor, then that is the way to go.

What we will likely do (as I do with all Zulu Grey and Silkvein hone orders) is to include the cost of shipping globally in the purchase price. So you only have to deal with the product price as shown - shipping will be noted as 'free'. We're looking to use DHL for speedy/secure shipping.

Ultimately I guess, as with purchasing any premium item from an overseas maker, each customer will have to accept the reality of import duties as part of the overall cost to own a new Wade & Butcher razor.

* Update: I just checked some figures on this link (you get one free calculation) : https://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/117442...dhl-is-14/
It appears that with the item marked as 'Razor' there is an applicable Free Trade Agreement with South Africa and the UK and EU, so it may not be the deal breaker you imagine.. Smile
I see also that import duties are much, much lower for USA customers, so I don't imagine a small import tax should put off any USA customers...

Thanks Jamie, 
Kindest Regards
- Mike

0 4
 10-12-2016, 04:54 AM
User Info
Mike,

I am very excited to hear about this and I know we have exchanged a few PM's just let me know, I would be very interested in being on the ground floor of a venture like this starting out.

6 1,295
 10-12-2016, 11:27 AM
User Info
Thanks for the reply Mike, I'm excited and very much looking forward to the launch I wish you and your Wade & Butcher project much success.

11 1,927
 11-26-2016, 03:34 AM
User Info
(10-11-2016, 04:15 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Mike, it's good to see you here and we look forward to your participation in our forum.  Best wishes for the success of your new venture and please keep us posted on developments.

In the spirit of 'keep us posted on developments', I thought I should post our working spec-sheet for our upcoming Irontusk Razor:

Just know that these are working specs and may change as we draw closer to the official launch announcement:

Model Name: Irontusk

Blade Size: 8/8

Blade Style: gentle smile

Grind: ½ hollow

Blade Steel: Damasteel RWL34 (stainless damascus as option)

Point Style: features our new signature 'Bézier-Notch'

Spine Finish: rounded/mirror

Tang/Tail: extended Tusk Style

Shank: spacious thumb notch (with fine jimping)

Shoulder Style: shoulderless

Blade Finish: deep mirror polish (flats, hollows and jewelled edges)

Scales and Wedge: light or dark colourway option (materials TBC)

Pins/Pivot System: TBC

Storage/Presentation: custom fitted 'Butcher-Block' case (with subtle magnetic closure)

Stationary: letterpressed and foiled certificate of origin and authenticity cards (numbered & hand signed by maker)

Cheers guys, 
- Mike

[Image: igzyu4r.png]

0 4
 11-26-2016, 05:40 AM
User Info
Mike,

I am axious to see a working model, I am on the list and can't wait for the release.

6 1,295
 11-26-2016, 06:06 AM
User Info
Thanks for the update Mike.  It's exciting to watch the progress of this project.

50 5,906
 01-12-2017, 03:08 PM
User Info
I could not get past reading 'shaving cutlery'.

0 144
 04-14-2017, 06:11 PM
User Info
So are they making razors yet?  If so, anybody been the lab rat and tried one out?

0 57
 04-14-2017, 06:38 PM
User Info
(04-14-2017, 06:11 PM)HarryBadge Wrote: So are they making razors yet?  If so, anybody been the lab rat and tried one out?

Have not heard a word or even seen any pics

6 1,295
 04-14-2017, 06:45 PM
User Info
(04-14-2017, 06:38 PM)Panther308 Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 06:11 PM)HarryBadge Wrote: So are they making razors yet?  If so, anybody been the lab rat and tried one out?

Have not heard a word or even seen any pics
I'd like to see what he comes up with.
I'm still saving for one of Brian's razors...got to support a TN SR maker.

0 57
 08-23-2017, 04:59 PM
User Info
At the expected cost of $1200.00 or more they can keep it.

1 19
 08-23-2017, 05:07 PM
User Info
(08-23-2017, 04:59 PM)Rugger007 Wrote: At the expected cost of $1200.00 or more they can keep it.

On July 11, 2017, they posted a price range of $1,500 to $1,800 on Facebook.

50 5,906
 08-23-2017, 07:25 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Ouch.... that puts me out. I'll have to admire through SOTD pics.

74 1,272
 08-24-2017, 01:38 AM
User Info
That's 99% of the straight razor population taken out of the equation if those prices are anything to go by.

11 1,927