12-18-2016, 12:59 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(12-18-2016, 12:29 PM)nikos.a Wrote: I'm surprised to see that these great SE razors are going on sale with 2 or less shaves. Not just this razor, but others as well. I just don't get it. I understand that as with all shaving stuff this is a YMMV thing, but you really can't draw any conclusions so early I believe.

I am surprised, and I'm not surprised at the same time.  I have been using light weight razors for a while and it took me a few shaves to get used to the weight of the RX.  My first shave with the RX I used a Feather Pro and while it was a very close shave it was also a very rough shave.  My second shave was close and also rough.  I really liked how close the shaves were and I believed that I could dial my technique in and get rid of the irritation.  I switched blades to a Kai Mild and while the shave was still very close I still had more irritation than I get with my 2011 or 2013 R41.  I played around with the blade angle and also started using Feather Pro Guards, and tried using different handles.  The shaves have been every bit as close or closer than my R41 (either year) with basically zero irritation.  I've been shaving with the R41 and my Cobra for so long that I can get outstanding shaves on autopilot, even if I'm using some pressure and shaving quickly.  Once I figured out to use almost no pressure and a very shallow angle and to slow down and not hurry the shave the RX has become the top SE in my den.

7 1,043
 12-18-2016, 01:02 PM
User Info
(12-18-2016, 12:29 PM)nikos.a Wrote: I'm surprised to see that these great SE razors are going on sale with 2 or less shaves. Not just this razor, but others as well. I just don't get it. I understand that as with all shaving stuff this is a YMMV thing, but you really can't draw any conclusions so early I believe.

+1

0 109
 12-18-2016, 03:25 PM
User Info
I agree that it takes time to dial in a razor, but some you either like it or hate it.  I knew right away that I hated the Rocnel with the half blade.  It was like shaving with a hammer.

As for the RX, I used the Schick AC blade and had the best shave so far.  I've also tried the Kia Mild and Kia Guard blades and the Schick was the awesome.

0 115
 12-18-2016, 03:45 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info

I'm not - while a very nice razor, it is priced at the edge of the genre, for example, the ATT SE runs about 25% lower.  Same blades (actually the ATT takes all of them, while the Rx doesn't work well with the Super Pro's).    Other than blade angle, the shave can't change very much when you are using the same hair shaper blades from Feather or Kai.  I sold mine, with a week's worth of shaves on it.  And, at least initially, it was in short supply.  I think that the fanboyism will settle down once they are regularly available, so the flippers won't appear as often, which is good.  

The Rx is a solid razor, as said, just the shavette format doesn't make me want to keep more than the one.

40 430
 12-18-2016, 03:54 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-18-2016, 03:45 PM)garyg Wrote:

I'm not - while a very nice razor, it is priced at the edge of the genre, for example, the ATT SE runs about 25% lower.  Same blades (actually the ATT takes all of them, while the Rx doesn't work well with the Super Pro's).    Other than blade angle, the shave can't change very much when you are using the same hair shaper blades from Feather or Kai.  I sold mine, with a week's worth of shaves on it.  And, at least initially, it was in short supply.  I think that the fanboyism will settle down once they are regularly available, so the flippers won't appear as often, which is good.  

The Rx is a solid razor, as said, just the shavette format doesn't make me want to keep more than the one.

By that Logic, wouldn't all DE razors be the same since you are using the same DE blades? Everyone is different but I definitely notice a difference between the various SE razors...some are more aggressive, some milder, some head heavy and others more balanced.

45 17,216
 12-18-2016, 04:04 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
There are definitely differences between different SE razor designs.

49 1,877
 12-18-2016, 04:05 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(12-18-2016, 03:54 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

By that Logic, wouldn't all DE razors be the same since you are using the same DE blades? Everyone is different but I definitely notice a difference between the various SE razors...some are more aggressive, some milder, some head heavy and others more balanced.

Well put Phil. I have tried almost every SE that comes along using the same two blades, Feather Pro and Kai Mild. They give a wide range of results and all are not certainly created equal just because they share the ability to use the same blade.

57 3,996
 12-18-2016, 04:11 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(12-18-2016, 03:54 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

Of course, and apologies for missing the gap aspect.  DE's are more flexible, and the hair shaper blades are not, so in my mind the DE can be made to shave in more ways.  But of course the blade gap comes into play.  Phil, I wasn't meaning to disparage your razor, just to comment on the original post

40 430
 12-18-2016, 04:24 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(12-18-2016, 12:59 PM)Sully Wrote:

I am surprised, and I'm not surprised at the same time.  I have been using light weight razors for a while and it took me a few shaves to get used to the weight of the RX.  My first shave with the RX I used a Feather Pro and while it was a very close shave it was also a very rough shave.  My second shave was close and also rough.  I really liked how close the shaves were and I believed that I could dial my technique in and get rid of the irritation.  I switched blades to a Kai Mild and while the shave was still very close I still had more irritation than I get with my 2011 or 2013 R41.  I played around with the blade angle and also started using Feather Pro Guards, and tried using different handles.  The shaves have been every bit as close or closer than my R41 (either year) with basically zero irritation.  I've been shaving with the R41 and my Cobra for so long that I can get outstanding shaves on autopilot, even if I'm using some pressure and shaving quickly.  Once I figured out to use almost no pressure and a very shallow angle and to slow down and not hurry the shave the RX has become the top SE in my den.

You gave some time to your razor and finally you figured out a way to enjoy it.

If I had rejected every single item that I wasn't suprised with in my first two shaves, I would have missed quite a few of them. Not all the products are the same. Otherwise, that would be boring. We would have one razor, one soap, one brush and there would be no reason to discover this hobby.

49 1,877
 12-18-2016, 04:28 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
No worries Gary. There are a lot of factors that influence the shave and blade gap is just one of them. Weight, balance, blade exposure, head shape and how the blade locks down are a few others. It is true that there will not be an SE Slant due to blade rigidity but there are a lot of variables that can be manipulated.

45 17,216
 12-18-2016, 05:15 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Well let me start by disclosing I'm a bit of a Cobra fanboy. Even despite its shoddy construction and "hit 'n miss" latch system. I also love the generally closer and more comfortable shave I achieve with the more rigid SE blade. I've tried every SE I can get my hands on. I owned 3 versions of the Mongoose. None were comfortable on my face. I owned the ATT SE1 and it was very comfortable, but not as efficient as I wanted. I haven't tried the SE2 yet - that's next on my list. I also have a General en route to try. Now the Rx, its without doubt the best of the bunch in terms of production. I'm yet to hold a better made SE razor. As for the shave its very efficient, but takes a little more concentration to achieve the same comfortable result I see from my Cobras. Its the only SE razor other than a Cobra that has a permanent spot in my collection. If all SE razors shaved the same I'd appreciate some earlier comments, but IMO they don't. I've also discovered you really do pay for what you get...

98 17,993
 12-18-2016, 05:51 PM
User Info
I have to agree with Phil and others here. I own or have owned every modern SE available and none of them shave the same with the same blade or different blades. All have various blade gaps and various differences. I love a Pro Guard blade in the Rx but have since tried it in my original Mongoose (too mild) and this morning in my SE2 (several nicks) and I know now that I will only use that blade in my Rx. Now that there is an SE open comb, we have a TON of different options to try. I am about to get the revised plate for the SE2 to feel the difference but to me the Rx is the best shaver and the best quality SE available right now with the SE1, SE2 and Rocnel SE50 coming in at a close 2nd. All of these shave differently for me and now that I have used the Pro Guard blade in the Rx, it could easily become a daily driver for me because now I don't have to be as cautious when using it. Too each his own but I have an addiction to keep trying new stuff so I keep spending money. Just saw a video on Instagram for a Rocnel SE50N which uses magnets to hold the artist club blade in place and cuts the size of the head in half. Should be very interesting going forward and as long as there is a market for this stuff, artisans like Phil will continue to innovate and offer new options. I personally look forward to all of it!! Keep innovating guys!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 431
 12-18-2016, 06:22 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
This is a nice razor. For people to put it up there with the classic cobra is saying something. I thank people need to try different blades with it.

3 526
 12-25-2016, 05:58 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
 12-28-2016, 08:04 PM
User Info
After a few more shaves under my belt with the RX, I am becoming even more of a fan.  I find the razor to be super smooth, stable and a lot of fun to use.  I like using the Feather Pro's, but just tried the Kai Milds, and WOW even smoother and efficient enough.  I have not had similar experiences with the Kai Milds in other SE razors.

With enough confidence, I used the RX to shave my head last night and the results were fantastic.

Having tried most of the other AC blade razors, I would have to say that the RX is currently my favorite.

192 1,588
 12-29-2016, 08:22 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I have been using my Rx for a couple of months now and it has become the only SE razor I kept in my den. For me it is exceptionally efficient but a bit aggressive to be used with less than 36 hour growth. I recently tried it with a Feather Pro Guard blade, which made me reconsider my daily DE razors rotation.

My regular daily shavers (24 hour growth) are BlackBird 1 gen, Weber PH, Wolfman SB and OC, and Timeless SB .68 in this particular order of preference. Using Feather Pro Guards with the Rx, placed it right there with the BlackBird - my most favorite DE razor.

109 1,315
 12-30-2016, 05:53 AM
User Info
(12-29-2016, 08:22 AM)ARGH Wrote: I have been using my Rx for a couple of months now and it has become the only SE razor I kept in my den. For me it is exceptionally efficient but a bit aggressive to be used with less than 36 hour growth.  I recently tried it with a Feather Pro Guard blade, which made me reconsider my daily DE razors rotation.

My regular daily shavers (24 hour growth) are BlackBird 1 gen, Weber PH, Wolfman SB and OC, and Timeless SB .68 in this particular order of preference. Using Feather Pro Guards with the Rx, placed it right there with the BlackBird - my most favorite DE razor.

That's a good strategy, changing AC style blades to modify efficiency [or aggression], to suit a "daily driver" vs an "every other day" or more razor.

0 109
 12-30-2016, 07:39 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(12-30-2016, 05:53 AM)nvpliers Wrote:
(12-29-2016, 08:22 AM)ARGH Wrote: I have been using my Rx for a couple of months now and it has become the only SE razor I kept in my den. For me it is exceptionally efficient but a bit aggressive to be used with less than 36 hour growth.  I recently tried it with a Feather Pro Guard blade, which made me reconsider my daily DE razors rotation.

That's a good strategy, changing AC style blades to modify efficiency [or aggression], to suit a "daily driver" vs an "every other day" or more razor.

Agree 100%. I attempt to dial in every razor to suit me for 2 pass daily shaves.

57 3,996
 01-10-2017, 11:34 AM
User Info
I used mine daily for about 6 weeks and I settled on the Schick Proline P-30 AC blades.  I've seen a few guys indicate that they are using a steep angle, but I'm doing the opposite.  I like to get the head of the razor almost flat against my cheek.  I find that the head actually helps stretch the skin and I get a nice smooth feeling by having the blade almost parallel to my face.

0 115
 01-10-2017, 11:55 AM
User Info
(12-25-2016, 05:58 PM)bullgoose Wrote: [Image: 1g8AUKj.jpg]

That's is the best inexpensive soap I have ever tried.

Really flies under the radar....

81 2,016