45 17,436
 10-11-2016, 06:06 PM
User Info
Great picture guys!

Anyone shave yet??

82 2,048
 10-11-2016, 06:07 PM
User Info
Congrats to you gents who got one. They look beautiful.

I'm really look forward to getting mine (didn't know they were available-was waiting for the newsletter). I'm on the list, and hope that they'll be more in soon.

Would love to hear your experience with the Rx, especially any comparisons from those of you who use other modern SE razors.

All the best,

Michael

21 486
 10-11-2016, 07:23 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing the awesome photos, guys.

Phil, I remember when you first shared the CAD images, or drawings, of the razor years back. To see these photos of the razor you designed in the homes of your friends and fellow forum members (not to mention satisfied customers)...it must be an incredible feeling. The Rx should win an innovation and design award!

59 450
 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM
User Info
if the blades didn't cost 1 buck per piece I would of buy this razor, looks so appealing

0 136
 10-11-2016, 08:30 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Come on guys, shave! ;-) We want to know. Will be a while before I get mine, customs in Belgium are sooooo slow.

@bazemk: You can get them for less then a dollar a piece, besides I easily get 15 shaves out of 1 blade, with enough stock to last me another 30 years I no longer do this but there was a time that I stropped this blades and that resulted in over a month of shaves on 1 blade.

27 1,408
 10-11-2016, 10:08 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Picture 1. It has arrived and is beautiful
Picture 2 All set up waiting for the RX arrival

[Image: 9d7Mb8S.jpg][Image: 1IvZYNt.jpg]

66 1,006
 10-11-2016, 11:02 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
First impression. Oh my it's heavy. After holding it for a while and trying to figure out how to put a blade in it I will change my first observation from heavy to substantial and well made. Second  impression handle has nice checkering and I think I will be able to hold on to this razor going ATG with wet slippery hands. 3 Gee the handle looks a bit short. Again as I handled the razor I realized the handle is just the right length to keep the razor well balanced. If this handle is the best fit then I can get used to it's length. Furthermore, I have a feeling that the length will feel perfect tomorrow when I shave. 3. I worked a long time trying every way I knew how to try and get the blade into the razor. Luckily no cuts or bruises but some cussing. Finally, it dawned on me it is a 3 piece razor not a 2 piece.The top 2 pieces separated and the angels sang. What a neat and unique loading system. Blad went in easily and locked in perfectly. The blade has no smile but the new owner is all smiles. Those of you not in possession of an Rx remember on arrival it is 3 piece not 2 piece. Time for bed now. If I hadn't figured the blade loading there would be no sleep for me.First shave tomorrow

66 1,006
 10-12-2016, 05:52 AM
User Info
First shave complete!

I'll first start with the loading which as Barry said is very easy when the head is disassembled.

I went for a 3 pass shave which is standard for me.

The razor is incredibly smooth and safe feeling on the face.

Incredibly nimble in the hard to eat to areas due to a great design. I had no problems WTG under the nose.

No irritation and a very close shave.

The angle is second nature on this one. There is no guesswork just shaving. No figuring out for me might be a better way to put it.

The construction as I mentioned is genius and very tight. No movement whatsoever when assembled.

Now to the handle.

I never use stock handles as I'm very picky.

But....

This one worked for me. I actually really enjoyed it. It's very grippy and the balance was spot on.

Keep in mind this is the first and I feel it will only get better as I learn the razor.

I am very pleased with the first shave tho.

Great work Phil!

Can't wait to shave tomm!

82 2,048
 10-12-2016, 06:18 AM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
Mine won't be delivered until Friday.  You guys are killing it with the pics!

12 308
 10-12-2016, 06:38 AM
User Info
First shave in the books and it was a great one.  Shaving angle is very intuitive and the shave is efficient and smooth.  I know it's only the first shave but my cobra is already feeling dispensable lol...  The razor looks stunning, balance is perfect with the handle which also has plenty of grip and there absolutely zero chatter in the blade tray with a blade loaded.  One small nick on the back of my head that was from me using too much pressure in the first few strokes but zero on my face or anywhere else.  Full head shave and 2 pass (XTG -> ATG) on the face with a Feather Pro was amazing and the best part is that I know the shaves will only get better from here!  Great work Phil and thanks for the crazy fast delivery!  I can see this becoming my absolute favorite razor.

83 423
 10-12-2016, 08:28 AM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
Man, this is really hard for me. I don't know you, Phil, though given that I visit this site everyday, I clearly should. I'm a minimalist, and a cheap minimalist, at that. I spent a *long* time deciding that the one safety razor I needed/wanted was the Mongoose. But I look at this thing and how it works and my determined resistance to RAD is melting away - and whether I buy it or not, you should really pat yourself on the back, cuz this is as much an evolution from Mongoose as Mongoose was from Cobra. Hats off.

0 107
 10-12-2016, 10:58 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I have yet to shave with the production version of Asylum Rx; it seems more refined than the prototype I used.

Here's a great review from one of the stewards at B&B : http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....ost8573283

102 18,239
 10-12-2016, 11:24 AM
User Info
(10-12-2016, 10:58 AM)Agravic Wrote: Here's a great review from one of the stewards at B&B : http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....ost8573283

I read that review as well, Ravi.  High praise!

59 450
 10-12-2016, 11:26 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
First shave completed. Going into this shave I had some misgivings about the shortness of the handle. I dislike bulldog handles. This handle is definitely not a bulldog . The handle is longer and thicker than the average bulldog. After using the razor I discovered the handle is perfect for this particular razor. The balance of the razor is perfect. My fingers placed on the knurling all the way through the shave allowed the weight of the razor to do all the work. I merely guided the razor over my face. There is probably no need to change or even try new handles on this razor. Although I know it will not stop me or most of you from trying. I have a feeling that eventually the original handle will find it's way back on the razor. Congratulations to the designer for the handle.
For the maiden shave I used a Kai mild pink blade. I chose this blade because it is one I am familiar with and have been pleased with it's performance.
I will not compare the Rx with the One Blade.  The One Blades unique pivoting head makes for  a completely different type of razor. I will compare it to my experience with All the Mongoose razors , Cobras and ATT SE.

The correct angle for use with the RX was not readily apparent to me. It took about one half of the first pass to find the correct angle. Once the correct angle was found it was easy to maintain the angle throughout the shave.. In no time the razor felt like a new found friend.
Possibly, because the head is smaller than the other SE I have used the shave went much quicker than shaves with the other razors. That sucker just whizzed over my face. I did a three pass shave with a little buffing in my problem areas. The result was a fast clean shave with no shave burn. I did have 3 small weepers at the end of the shave. I attribute the weepers to my own ignorance. As stated before I did not have the angle down for the first half of the first pass. It is a heavy razor and I think I probably pressed a bit too hard. Finally. I have a light beard and sensitive skin. Weepers on a first shave with a new blade are not uncommon for me with any razor.
The RX is much milder than the Aluminum Mongoose. and even a bit more milder and more comfortable than the SS versions. Based on one shave I would rate the Rx over the Mongoose. The RX is very similar in feel and shave quality as the King Cobra. The Rx also compares favorably with the regular Cobra. Advantage Rx as to loading and holding the blade firmly in place. That is once you figure out how to load the RX. Remember the Rx has 3 pieces. After that it is a no-brainer on loading. The Rx held the blade perfectly aligned with no smile.I had to give a slight edge to the RX over the ATT SE as well. This last remark is simply based on personal preference. I find the ATT a bit aggressive. In addition I like the narrower head on the RX as compared to the head on the ATT. Both razors are definite keepers and will find their way into my rotation. 
After a few more shaves I will  try and evaluate the Rx further. 
Those of you who have not received your RX yet hang in there it is worth the wait.

66 1,006
 10-12-2016, 03:49 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-12-2016, 08:28 AM)Tokyospike Wrote: Man, this is really hard for me. I don't know you, Phil, though given that I visit this site everyday, I clearly should. I'm a minimalist, and a cheap minimalist, at that. I spent a *long* time deciding that the one safety razor I needed/wanted was the Mongoose. But I look at this thing and how it works and my determined resistance to RAD is melting away - and whether I buy it or not, you should really pat yourself on the back, cuz this is as much an evolution from Mongoose as Mongoose was from Cobra. Hats off.

Thank you Spike!

45 17,436
 10-12-2016, 06:23 PM
User Info
I'm not on Facebook.
Sorry if this has already been explained.

How will we know that the next batch is available? 

I've been following the project for a few years and now that your razor is a reality I am hoping to get one Phil.

I'm going to convince the Mrs. it's all I want for Christmas.  Rolleyes

I'm not keen on any other new piece of hardware the rest of this year. Razors or brushes. 

The Asylum RX is calling me.

7 1,204
 10-13-2016, 07:32 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Great reviews and photos, gentlemen!

What a beauty!

49 1,882
 10-13-2016, 08:20 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Brief update: I'm two shaves into it with the Rx and loving this razor. It has a nice weight to it and effortlessly achieves a BBS shave. The satin finish is very pleasing to both look at and touch. This razor has not disappointed me—I love this razor!!!   Thumbup

11 562