10-09-2016, 05:59 PM
User Info
I was for a long time giving Will, the maker of B&M soaps, a hard time, when I recevied the first soaps from him.

The scents were werid, too advanced for me in a shaving soap, while I spray myself with quite unique challenging niche fragrances, shaving soap for me should have a more traditional vibe to them.
The white plastic tubs seemed a bit flimsy, and the soap was dark brown (Lavanille and Nocture, I think it was)

I have since that changed my mind and made an almost 180 degree. Yes, some people know I'm quite fickle by nature. One day I like this, the next day I like that. Sorry, that's just part of being who I am.
What I didn't know is that Will actually took my opinion to heart, and decided I was right in that the older white tubs were not living up to what people would call a luxurious presentation.

So he changed the pots to a new more sturdy harder rustic plastic and had new artwork made to place on the front lid.
I have to give my thumbs up for the new containers and the excellent looking presentation - B&M shaving soap presentation is now in the same diamond league as Cold River Soap Works Select and Saponoficio Varesino shaving soaps IMHO

I'm going to give you my opinion on B&M Seville shaving soap. 

A classic barbershop scent with lemon, lavender, bergamot, rosemary, patchouli and oakmoss.
A more classic conservative scent among the B&M soaps, but what a great relaxing scent it still is.

I can't quite figure out, if I have a fragrance that smells like Seville in my frag collection, but I just seem to think I have one, but can't quite put my finger on which one it is.

I own two verisons of Seville. 
One is the older white tub from 2015 and the other is the new one in the new sturdy whiter more elegant hard containers with the great looking artwork of a bull on the front lid.
Do I have to tell, which presentation I prefer between the two ?

The new one of course. It's fantastic looking and the solid feel of the container, when you screw it on and off is just great.

So why do I review two B&M soaps, that are the same, just in two different containers ? 

Because they are not the same. The new Seville is the new glissant formula.
It sort of reminds me a bit of the 3 B&M's I own from the old Black Label series, just a little bit better.

I have shaved 3 times with the old Seville, and 3 times with the new Seville. Changing from one version to another for each new shave.
I have used 3 brushes for the review. Each brush is used 1 time with each soap.

Brush 1: Semogue 1305
Brush 2: Stirling KONG 26 mm
Brush 3: Thäter 2-band Bulb 30 mm

Razors used:

Razor 1: Above The Tie SE1 with Feather Professional (3 passes + touch up)
Razor combo 2: Plisson Palladium Fusion (1.st pass) and Pils Mach 3 (2.nd pass)

I face lathered for all my shaves.

Lather building:
The new container is just slightly smaller in diameter, than the old one, but both containers are very easy to load the brush in, even with the 30 mm bulb badger.
The lather from B&M soaps just explode into a rich pasty lather on my face, no matter what formula of the seville I use.

Lather quality:
Both Seville Versions gave me a thick dense solid lather.
No drying out, both Sevilla formulas can take a LOT of water, you can continue building up the lather on your face. It does not seem to thin out on my face.

Performance:
Honestly I have always felt the older white B&M formula gave a me an excellent shave each and every time, but I somehow felt it lacked just a tiny bit in the protection department.
I felt my top performing soaps just gave me that extra littel bit of extra comfort, protection and glide - for instance CRSW v2, I Coloniali, Nuavia, Savonniere du Moulin, Czech & Speak, Tabula Rasa to mention a few of my top soaps. The new B&M Glissant formula eems to provide me with just a littel bit better protection and glide and comfort during the shave.
We are talking minor details, but I feel the newer Seville is that litle step above the old formula. Better cushion, better glide, more slickness and better post shave feel. The old formula is still one heck of good shaving soap, but this new Glissant soap takes the cake for me. 

Post shave feel:
Because the new Glissant formula provides better comfor during the shave, it also seem to give me a better post shave feel.
Mind you, the old Sevilla is still a great shaving soap, the new Sevilla Glissant just gives me that extra little bit better protection.
More so than I felt CRSW v2 did compared to CRSW v1.

The new B&M Glissant soap is now offcially among my top shaving soaps.

I hope I will never feel the need to only shave with unscented shaving soaps, but if so, B&M Glissant Unscented, if it were made, would be my first choice along with C.R.S.W. v2 Unscented. 
The performance of the B&M Glissant is so good, that I have to elevate it into my absolute top performing soaps now.

[Image: v82FJwr.jpg]
[Image: amcyNgv.jpg]

24 5,972
 10-09-2016, 07:28 PM
User Info
I'm not sure I'd put the packaging on CRSW level, wide tin containers for soap and glass bottles for the aftershave, is IMHO in a higher league than any plastic packaging. I keep meaning to try B&M cause of the great reviews it receives around shaving forums and buying off of those recommendations from forum members has never left me disappointed. Thanks for the review!

2 465
 10-09-2016, 08:06 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Nice review, Claus. I agree with everything said. I've been using B&M soaps for around four years, soon after they first came out in a small, tin container not much larger than the Klar Seifen tins. The original scents did include Bay Rum, Cheshire, and Seville, and a few others that were standard type scents. These first soaps performed extremely well, and with each new formulation the quality has only improved, and his newest Glissant soap base is superb. However, while I enjoyed most of his early scents, I now enjoy perhaps half of his newer scents. B&M has remained one of my favorite soaps, although I would use it much more frequently if there were more scents to my liking. I could say the same regarding Mike's, also one of my favorite soaps, although there are only a couple of scents that I care to use regularly.

38 5,115
 10-09-2016, 08:53 PM
User Info
HI CLAUS,

I MUST THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT REVIEW AND INFO ON THE NEW AND IMPROVED GLISSANT FORMULA. I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS.
I HAVE THE LATHA LINE FROM B&M AND REALLY LOVE IT BUT WANTED TO TRY THE SEVILLE SOME DAY SINCE I HEAR IT HAS A GREAT BARBER SHOP SCENT. NOW THANKS TO YOU I'M GOING TO PURCHASE IT ASAP! ALSO IF YOU FIND THAT FRAGRANCE ONE DAY CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHAT IT IS SO I CAN GET THAT TOO? THANKS AGAIN  Exclamation Clap 

DARIUS

3 40
 10-09-2016, 09:34 PM
  • Bouki
  • Sandwich Islands
User Info
Claus — Thanks for sharing your admiration for Barrister & Mann's Glissant base. After reading your review, I'm eager to try B&M's Cheshire en glissant, whenever it's ready. It's one of my favorite scents, but sometimes the white label version of the soap leaves me a little ragged around the jaws. With luck, the Glissantes will give us a more polished finish.

5 140
 10-09-2016, 11:39 PM
User Info
Sweet review Claus, thanks for that.

Grr.. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive..  Dodgy

11 1,169
 10-10-2016, 03:07 AM
User Info
The bull design is definitely awesome, as is the bear he used for Cologne Russe. Wonder if every soap will have a spirit animal in the new design scheme?

16 1,027
 10-10-2016, 03:09 AM
User Info
(10-09-2016, 07:28 PM)iShave Wrote: I'm not sure I'd put the packaging on CRSW level, wide tin containers for soap and glass bottles for the aftershave, is IMHO in a higher league than any plastic packaging. I keep meaning to try B&M cause of the great reviews it receives around shaving forums and buying off of those recommendations from forum members has never left me disappointed. Thanks for the review!

The B&M Tonique aftershaves come in glass bottles, and his new Reserve aftershaves come in hands down the classiest packaging I've seen out of an artisan. You should definitely try some B&M - start with the Latha line if you want a little more accessible stuff.

16 1,027
 10-10-2016, 03:15 AM
User Info
I totally agree with you Claus. I have a ton of soaps and razors I have set aside and pretty much forgotten to pick them up and fall in love with all over again. I picked up my tub of Cheshire and just had to use it. I have used the Leviathan soap in the new formula and it whips up even with hard water. As for the fragrance I have a hard time finding something in my collection to match it as well. 

Great review

49 356
 10-10-2016, 05:12 AM
User Info
Great review - thanks!

4 465
 10-10-2016, 05:21 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Thanks for sharing Claus. I have been using Will's soaps for years, and his new Glissant formula is his best by far. While I have tried MANY of his soaps, Seville has never hit my shelf although I really loved the original Kyovu AS based on that scent. I will definitely have to add Seville soon. I appreciate Will's innovative approach and continuous improvement for his products. He really produces some unique scents, and while not all of them are for me, the ones I do like are incredible and unique Biggrin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 1,628
 10-10-2016, 04:56 PM
User Info
Great review Claus. I have beaudelaire in the glissant base and gave really enjoyed it. It us easy to whip up a thick, slick, protective lather. Seville us on my radar. I emailed a Will awhile ago. All the staple scents will gradually be converted to glissant. Next up is Lavanille.

-Mark

6 118
 10-10-2016, 05:29 PM
User Info
I like the news tubs but I actually prefer the old labels myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 18
 10-10-2016, 05:46 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
YMMV,
Honestly, I feel that BM is overrated.  Fanboys proselytize about the merits etc.  
To each their own.
My opinion; BM performs well enough; scents are dubious.

102 18,653
 10-10-2016, 06:24 PM
User Info
(10-10-2016, 05:46 PM)Agravic Wrote: YMMV,
Honestly, I feel that BM is overrated.  Fanboys proselytize about the merits etc.  
To each their own.
My opinion; BM performs well enough; scents are dubious.

Agreed. Tried a few over the years and found them to be amatuerish. I picked up one of the limited edition releases from last year and when I unscrewed the lid, I was greeted by a scent that smelled EXACTLY like my grandmother's nursing home. And people are paying a premium for it now...

160 1,038
 10-10-2016, 07:43 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
yep. best soap out there, best scents out there. also one of my favorite people in the community, too. grand slam.

41 666
 10-10-2016, 07:57 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
This is surely a thread of divergent opinions.

60 1,601
 10-11-2016, 03:48 AM
User Info
Been looking at this line for some time.  Opinions elsewhere on line were nearly unanimously positive so I ordered some Seville and Latha and am looking forward to trying them out.  Thx Claus.

0 377
 10-11-2016, 07:16 AM
User Info
The successful shaving soap artisan is successful because of the hype that they and their devoted followers generate.  I'd say the majority of artisan soaps are over-hyped, in fact I can't think of a single good one that isn't, (except perhaps Mike's Natural) but in my opinion being over-hyped doesn't necessarily equate to being over-rated. I guess both terms can imply exaggerated claims, but I like to think of hype in terms of an artisan's effort in advertising and customer satisfaction/customer promotion of a product. While being over-rated to me, simply means the product doesn't do what it is advertised to do. Will of B&M just might be the king of hype, meaning he markets his products VERY well.  For me B&M, particularly the new base is not even close to being over-rated, it is actually an excellent soap.  I am a bit hit and miss with many of his scents, but that is not news to anyone.  Seville is certainly not one of his stranger creations, and I find it quite pleasant.  Over-hyped, absolutely, over-rated, absolutely not.

74 2,277
 10-11-2016, 08:20 AM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
(10-11-2016, 07:16 AM)merkur man Wrote: For me B&M, particularly the new base is not even close to being over-rated, it is actually an excellent soap.  I am a bit hit and miss with many of his scents, but that is not news to anyone.  Seville is certainly not one of his stranger creations, and I find it quite pleasant.  Over-hyped, absolutely, over-rated, absolutely not.

I fully agree - I've not had a bad shave with a B&M soap.  The scents however...

I'm glad you mentioned that Seville is NOT one of the weirder ones.  Hopefully it'll be safe for me to order.  Thanks for the info.

1 220