10-10-2016, 12:34 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Today I experienced an example of superlative customer service that greatly exceeded my expectations. It is a genuine thrill to be on the receiving end of such positive feel-good vibes! Mr. Mark Watterson, Managing Director of Progress Vulfix Company, makers of Simpson's brushes, is the gentleman to whom I refer.

There is a brush on my shelf with a most luxurious knot - a Simpson's Chubby 2 Super. Purchased this past February (shout out to Juan and Mamen at Gifts&Care, who took the time to photograph their inventory, allowing me to personally select my brush). I've loved the feel of this shave brush from day one - the handle and knot stimulate my brain stem Biggrin. I use the brush at least once a week. Friday afternoon, I got home from work, and as I always do, surveyed my brushes and razors before moving on to other activities. Much to my horror, I saw this:

[Image: dKMQqBI.jpg]

Shocked  Sad

We don't  have pets, children or a cleaning service that would be the obvious candidates for potential brush mishaps. I've not dropped or banged the brush. I lightly soak my brushes halfway in cold water prior to use. Temperature and relative humidity have remained fairly constant in our home for the last few weeks. My shave brushes and razors are treated with the same care as my Martin guitars.

Yikes! Now what?

I wanted to give Simpson's the opportunity to provide a solution to my situation. I expected to receive an offer to reset the knot for a nominal fee, and would have been fine with such an offer. Obviously, there was no way I could prove my innocence in the matter, and I understand from a manufacturer's perspective, they may not have wanted to cover such a repair under warranty.

Before contacting Mark, I sought the advice of a highly respected member of this forum for his thoughts. He suggested that it may not be covered under warranty, and confirmed that the job should be performed directly by Simpson's as a first/best option, rather than having the knot reset into a custom, artisan handle (option 2), as although it would still be the same knot in an awesome new and groovy custom handle, it would no longer be a Chubby 2. I greatly appreciate this gentleman's insights.

Next was an email to Mr. Watterson. I included pics of the cracked handle, my modest collection of Simpson's brushes, and a copy of the bill of sale. Mark responded promptly, the very next business day. He commiserated with my misfortune and offered to replace the brush, gratis. WOW!!!! In today's jaded world, this magnanimous gentleman who doesn't know me from Adam, agreed to completely replace his company's product, no questions asked. WOW!!!!

My intention in posting this is to praise a man and his company for his kindness of spirit and generosity. It is no wonder that the Simpson's Shaving Brush Company continues to thrive in a crowded and small marketplace. Mr. Watterson has earned my respect, admiration and continued business.

Thank you, Mark.

7 2,357
 10-10-2016, 12:51 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Mark is a gentleman and a delight to deal with. I'm glad to hear that he handled your issue in the way that he did. They do stand behind their product. 

Enjoy the new brush Charlie.

29 1,627
 10-10-2016, 01:03 PM
User Info
Excellent news. And thank you for taking the time to let us know. Reputation, good or bad, matters.

3 335
 10-10-2016, 01:09 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Stories of good customer service are always refreshing.  When people and businesses go above and beyond for the customer, it always makes me want to send them as much business as possible.  Integrity and honor are hard to find these days.  They deserve to be rewarded.

Thank you for sharing.

61 507
 10-10-2016, 01:38 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I always found Mark to be quite congenial.

1 796
 10-10-2016, 01:57 PM
User Info
I'm not at all surprised by this..

Mark, and the folks at Simpsons as a whole, provide exemplary service for their customers ... second to none. And I know this from first hand experience, not what I have read! Even the most mundane of questions is answered promptly by someone with the authority to make it happen. Sometimes I waver when I peruse Simpsons prices lately, but I always come back home for the best ..... IMHO!

0 335
 10-10-2016, 02:26 PM
User Info
Vendors standing behind their products is alway great news.

8 1,210
 10-10-2016, 02:57 PM
User Info
That is awesome, thanks for sharing.

0 52
 10-10-2016, 05:59 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-10-2016, 12:51 PM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: Mark is a gentleman and a delight to deal with. I'm glad to hear that he handled your issue in the way that he did. They do stand behind their product. 

Enjoy the new brush Charlie.

Thanks, Jim. Listen, fwiw your collection of Chubby brushes partly inspired me to go big.

(10-10-2016, 01:03 PM)NickMach007 Wrote: Excellent news. And thank you for taking the time to let us know. Reputation, good or bad, matters.

Yes, and people tend to report on undesirable experiences. This was my chance to share some good news Smile

(10-10-2016, 01:09 PM)gp569900 Wrote: Stories of good customer service are always refreshing.  When people and businesses go above and beyond for the customer, it always makes me want to send them as much business as possible.  Integrity and honor are hard to find these days.  They deserve to be rewarded.

Thank you for sharing.

I agree. There's a Cap2 in my future, for sure.

(10-10-2016, 01:38 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: I always found Mark to be quite congenial.

This was my first interaction with him. I'm not surprised to learn of other satisfied customers.

(10-10-2016, 01:57 PM)BlacknTan Wrote: I'm not at all surprised by this..

Mark, and the folks at Simpsons as a whole, provide exemplary service for their customers ... second to none. And I know this from first hand experience, not what I have read! Even the most mundane of questions is answered promptly by someone with the authority to make it happen. Sometimes I waver when I peruse Simpsons prices lately, but I always come back home for the best ..... IMHO!

Yes they are pricey, but imo a great value.

(10-10-2016, 02:26 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Vendors standing behind their products is alway great news.

Yes. It's refreshing and inspiring.

(10-10-2016, 02:57 PM)Pete123 Wrote: That is awesome, thanks for sharing.

My pleasure Biggrin

7 2,357
 10-10-2016, 06:27 PM
User Info
I'm glad your issue was resolved, but I'll mention something. A luxury goods maker should absolutely stand by his products, no questions asked, so I don't think special praise is warranted when they actually remedy a problem, especially one as egregious as yours...

160 1,040
 10-10-2016, 07:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-10-2016, 06:27 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I'm glad your issue was resolved, but I'll mention something. A luxury goods maker should absolutely stand by his products, no questions asked, so I don't think special praise is warranted when they actually remedy a problem, especially one as egregious as yours...

Thanks for the good wishes. You make a good point. However I felt it was important to mention in light of all the negativity that swirls around the world. People should hear and read good news, too. Plus, I believe good deed doers should be acknowledged. Truthfully, while this issue was initially a drag, in light of much greater problems people experience, this was a relative drop in the proverbial bucket.

7 2,357
 10-11-2016, 07:32 AM
User Info
I agree that quality vendors SHOULD stand behind their product, but there are more than enough accounts to know this isn't always the case. So, I was glad to see this posting. It not only encourages the vendor to continue taking care of his customers, but encourages other vendors to do the same. In recent years (not just in the wet shaving community) I have been disappointed more than once when a company refused to honor their warranty.

3 335
 10-11-2016, 08:16 AM
User Info
enjoyed seeing this post.  confirms my own dealings with Mark.  reading this post sure best watching debates and such

76 1,330
 10-11-2016, 01:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-11-2016, 07:32 AM)NickMach007 Wrote: I agree that quality vendors SHOULD stand behind their product, but there are more than enough accounts to know this isn't always the case. So, I was glad to see this posting. It not only encourages the vendor to continue taking care of his customers, but encourages other vendors to do the same. In recent years (not just in the wet shaving community) I have been disappointed more than once when a company refused to honor their warranty.

You make a good point. Positive peer pressure is often the best way to influence others' good decisions. Fwiw I've found that thoroughly researching purchases beforehand is a good way to minimize potential disappointments.

(10-11-2016, 08:16 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: enjoyed seeing this post.  confirms my own dealings with Mark.  reading this post sure best watching debates and such

It's good to know that Mark's quality customer service is a long-standing characteristic of his.

7 2,357
 10-11-2016, 02:22 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
It's always uplifting to hear stories such as this one, especially since I own nine Simpson and Vulfix brushes.  I've had similar experiences with Goretex and LL Bean.  It is, however, amazing That so many vendors just don't get it.

7 934
 10-11-2016, 02:29 PM
User Info
I've heard mixed reviews about Simpsons but I'm glad you had a great experience. Thanks for sharing with the community.

11 1,169
 10-11-2016, 04:00 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-11-2016, 02:22 PM)Rufus Wrote: It's always uplifting to hear stories such as this one, especially since I own nine Simpson and Vulfix brushes.  I've had similar experiences with Goretex and LL Bean.  It is, however, amazing That so many vendors just don't get it.
As a teen I worked in a J.C. Penney store. I'll never forget the time an older gentleman (I'm probably older now than he was then) returned a pair of dungarees claiming they "didn't wear well" and that he'd only had them for a "couple of years." Those pants looked like they'd been worn almost every day of that time. They were disgusting! Filth, grease, mud, tattered. The department manager smiled and took them back, no questions asked, and asked the customer what size he needed. Mr. Murphy lived by the adage, "the customer is always right." Just a few weeks later he was promoted and transferred to a larger, busier store the next state over. Mr. Murphy was a smart man.

(10-11-2016, 02:29 PM)1Geralt Wrote: I've heard mixed reviews about Simpsons but I'm glad you had a great experience. Thanks for sharing with the community.
You're welcome Smile. Yes, I'm aware of others' mixed reviews in the past. I didn't start this thread for that reason. Simply wanted to acknowledge the professional practice of a TSN supporting vendor. Mark participates in forum discussions periodically. I felt that posting a negative product thread would be counterproductive, and would generate controversy. That wouldn't have been a good read.

I am so glad that the discussion has not devolved to that point. Now it's an upbeat story instead of a negative one. Thank you to everyone for responding positively. Good vibes always beat bad ones!

Sisi1

7 2,357
 10-11-2016, 04:36 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(10-11-2016, 04:00 PM)chazt Wrote:
(10-11-2016, 02:22 PM)Rufus Wrote: It's always uplifting to hear stories such as this one, especially since I own nine Simpson and Vulfix brushes.  I've had similar experiences with Goretex and LL Bean.  It is, however, amazing That so many vendors just don't get it.
As a teen I worked in a J.C. Penney store. I'll never forget the time an older gentleman (I'm probably older now than he was then) returned a pair of dungarees claiming they "didn't wear well" and that he'd only had them for a "couple of years." Those pants looked like they'd been worn almost every day of that time. They were disgusting! Filth, grease, mud, tattered. The department manager smiled and took them back, no questions asked, and asked the customer what size he needed. Mr. Murphy lived by the adage, "the customer is always right." Just a few weeks later he was promoted and transferred to a larger, busier store the next state over. Mr. Murphy was a smart man.

My Gortex experience was somewhat similar to your Penney experience.  I had owned a Goretex rain suit for 23 years when it started to wet-out.  I called Goretex to see if I could do anything about it and they said to send it to their Canadian distributor.  I did this and a few days later Goretex called me to say they would replace the entire suit with a suit of my choice with no price limit.  When I explained  that  I'd owned the suit for 23 years they replied that their product carries a lifetime guarantee.

7 934
 10-11-2016, 05:26 PM
User Info
Charlie, I'm glad that you had such a great customer service experience from Simpson.  Thank you for sharing this.

50 6,414
 10-11-2016, 06:14 PM
User Info
Mark W is a Gentleman, and I'm not at all surprised he helped you out the way he did  Number_one

24 6,018