10-10-2016, 04:37 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
How come no one talks about Mickey Lee Soapworks anymore?  They were so popular awhile ago.

1 795
 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
(10-10-2016, 04:37 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: How come no one talks about Mickey Lee Soapworks anymore?  They were so popular awhile ago.

I remember everyone talked about tabac, yardley , Mitchell's , and Martin De Candre. Then Mike's came along and Jabonman and so on. Mickey lee's scents are nice and I'm sure a lot of gents have them in the den but there are so many high quality new soaps coming out every week.

60 1,534
 10-10-2016, 04:59 PM
User Info
Just wondering what people think if the scents. What is your favorite currently available? Also, what is the scent strength. I like a fairly strongly scented soap that does not fade when lathered. For reference, I find the strength of scent to be perfect in B&M as well as T&S.

-Mark

6 118
 10-10-2016, 05:07 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
MLS are pretty strong scented soaps.  I have the Kraken, Cape Verde and La Belle.  The Kraken is my favorite followed by Cape Verde.  La Belle is a little different so it doesn't get used too often.  MLS is in my top 5 soaps. I find it very user friendly and I get a lather reminiscent of elmer's glue.  Very thick, stable super slick and very moisturizing.  Similar soaps I have with these properties would be Mystic Waters, Deluxe shaving cream, Shannon's, Zoe's boutique (wonderful new soap I just discovered), Soap Commander and Stirlings.

45 622
 10-10-2016, 05:54 PM
User Info
(10-10-2016, 05:07 PM)ddk13 Wrote: MLS are pretty strong scented soaps.  I have the Kraken, Cape Verde and La Belle.  The Kraken is my favorite followed by Cape Verde.  La Belle is a little different so it doesn't get used too often.  MLS is in my top 5 soaps. I find it very user friendly and I get a lather reminiscent of elmer's glue.  Very thick, stable super slick and very moisturizing.  Similar soaps I have with these properties would be Mystic Waters, Deluxe shaving cream, Shannon's, Zoe's boutique (wonderful new soap I just discovered), Soap Commander and Stirlings.

Thanks!

The Kraken has been on my radar as has Reunion--I like earthy scents. Good to know it has a high quality lather.

-Mark

6 118
 10-10-2016, 07:08 PM
User Info
I love MLS! Top performing software with great scents. I enjoy all of them. My current favorite is Reunion - a lovely, green vetiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 107
 10-10-2016, 07:21 PM
User Info
I have the kraken, and panty dropper - both good, but I prefer the former scent by a large margin.

28 1,098
 10-10-2016, 07:40 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
it's in my subjective top tier of soaps, great stuff.

41 666
 10-11-2016, 02:27 PM
User Info
Excellent soap. Top tier artisan definitely. They don't hype up their stuff as much as others but the performance and value is definitely there. I have a good buddy that is a die hard fan of their products and I can't blame him. Biggrin

I'm aiming to try their Colonia di Agrumi for my next purchase.

I think Souq is going to be released soon if I remember correctly.

11 1,169
 10-11-2016, 03:04 PM
User Info
Cape Verde is really, really good.

0 79
 10-11-2016, 04:47 PM
User Info
I also have Kraken.  Very interesting scent and great performance.

0 253
 10-12-2016, 09:10 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Personally, I found it to be a good performer.  However, even not being a "scent guy" I really could not stand the scents of Kraken and Drunken Goat.  Someone described their scents as earthy, but to me it was so overpowering I really could not use it comfortably.  Anyway, it's great that it has such a loyal following.

1 795
 10-13-2016, 09:52 AM
User Info
(10-12-2016, 09:10 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: Personally, I found it to be a good performer.  However, even not being a "scent guy" I really could not stand the scents of Kraken and Drunken Goat.  Someone described their scents as earthy, but to me it was so overpowering I really could not use it comfortably.  Anyway, it's great that it has such a loyal following.

+1.

I haven't thrown it away or anything  but I can't get barber shop or ocean from Kraken. Smells like laundry detergent. I suppose not offensive but just nothing at all to me like the description. I am going to try and 3017 it in the near future. Daily use will both give me a better handle on the performance and maybe bring me around on the scent. If not there are always other soaps to use.

4 105
 10-13-2016, 05:13 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I only have Paradise Frost which to me is a gorgeous scent. It lathers so easily, and also has a great post-shave feeling. It's mentholated although the cooling effect is very subdued.

3 2,635
 10-14-2016, 12:21 AM
User Info
(10-10-2016, 04:59 PM)Whiskey Sour Wrote: Just wondering what people think if the scents. What is your favorite currently available?  Also, what is the scent strength. I like a fairly strongly scented soap that does not fade when lathered. For reference, I find the strength of scent to be perfect in B&M as well as T&S.

-Mark

Mark,

I currently have 7 MLS soaps in my den. In general, I have found there scent strengths to be well into the strong range. The nature of the scent ingredients has to be considered, to some degree. I am with you 100% on your scent strength preference. I like my scent strengths to be nuclear.

Out of the 7 I have, 3 were in the medium to "too light" range (personally) - Pantie Dropper, Cape Verde and Colonia di Agrume. All 3 are excellent, but much lower in scent strength than I had hoped or anticipated. Cape Verde is a masterpiece, in my opinion. Extremely original. An absolute standout.........

I hope this helps (at least partially).....

0 122
 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM
User Info
I have had the drunken goat and pantie dropper , I prefer the scent of pantie dropper and found the overall product to be nice although I have not re purchased.

60 1,534
 10-14-2016, 07:50 PM
User Info
I've never tried The Kraken but have always wondered if it has a similar scent profile to the B&M latha oceana, has anyone tried both?
(Sorry not intending to hijack the thread by any means)

5 87
 10-14-2016, 08:09 PM
User Info
(10-14-2016, 07:50 PM)jesseix Wrote: I've never tried The Kraken but have always wondered if it has a similar scent profile to the B&M latha oceana, has anyone tried both?
(Sorry not intending to hijack the thread by any means)

I've had Oceana shaving soap and Kraken pomade.  I'll do my best to describe:

Oceana smells to me like a light, clean cologne.  Very nice, very clean smelling (I realize I used that word twice).  Scent strength 5 out of 10.

Kraken smells like a barbershop scent, with hints of aquatic and I get a "clayish" smell on the back end.  This could be unique to the pomade (vs the shave soap).  Scent strength 7.5 out of 10.

I sold my Oceana to an awesome member here, but wish I still had it (missed it when it was gone).  I enjoyed the scent of Kraken when I first got the pomade, but I seemed to grow tired of the scent.  Mickey Lee's pomades, by the way, perform fantastically.  That might not help you a lot, but its the best Ive got.   Cool

13 496
 10-14-2016, 08:41 PM
User Info
Pantie dropper - seriously, I would not own a shaving soap called that, even on a smiley day  Tongue

24 5,971
 10-15-2016, 03:50 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(10-14-2016, 08:41 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Pantie dropper - seriously, I would not own a shaving soap called that, even on a smiley day  Tongue

I agree

34 1,628