08-05-2012, 05:28 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
What's the new hype all about? Anyone using this brush?
It is made by Beauty Strokes, they are in business of making makeup brushes, sold on Amazon and available in black or clear, $25.50 plus shipping.

H.I.S Shaving Brush

[Image: 21UEzWWPvEL._SS500_.jpg] [Image: 41qPfN-LflL._SS500_.jpg]

88 4,233
 08-05-2012, 05:31 PM
User Info
(08-05-2012, 05:28 PM)beartrap Wrote: What's the new hype all about? Anyone using this brush?
It is made by Beauty Strokes, they are in business of making makeup brushes, sold on Amazon and available in black or clear, $25.50 plus shipping.

H.I.S Shaving Brush

[Image: 21UEzWWPvEL._SS500_.jpg] [Image: 41qPfN-LflL._SS500_.jpg]

Since April of this year, I have been its champion.

Here are my reviews on it.

http://shavenook.com/thread-h-i-s-synthetic-brush

http://shavenook.com/thread-the-clear-ha...d-personal

The company has had supply issues after I posted these reviews on four forums but they have now worked out all these issues.
It has been one of the hottest items in traditional shaving since.

1 2,827
 08-05-2012, 06:19 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Actually, it's a darn nice brush. I shaved with one for the first time this morning. Gary PIF'd me the black handled brush. Never in a million years would I have ever bought a synthetic brush. I'm way to old school (narrow minded). I took it to a puck of Haslinger this morning and face lathered, it did a remarkable job. It's a big brush, 28mm knot and 65mm loft but had the backbone to do it's job. It won't be for everybody (size) but I was pretty impressed.

12 743
 08-05-2012, 06:22 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
This is my thing too, I would never think of even trying synthetic... Now, with all that hype, almost a MUST. Damn enablers Biggrin

88 4,233
 08-05-2012, 06:23 PM
User Info
(08-05-2012, 06:22 PM)beartrap Wrote: This is my thing too, I would never think of even trying synthetic... Now, with all that hype, almost a MUST. Damn enablers Biggrin

It looks like I have bear trapped the beartrap! Biggrin

1 2,827
 08-05-2012, 06:27 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm a self confessed badger purist (some might say elitist or worse: snob!), but IMO I've taken a huge leap forward introducing a badger/boar mix (with the TSN LE) to my brush line up. So in the interests of diversity I'll be interested in learning more about synthetics, but I must confess my experiences are likely to remain vicarious for some time...

91 17,846
 08-05-2012, 06:34 PM
User Info
Despite all I've read on this brush I can honestly say I have no desire to get it. I find the appearance of the Muhle Silvertip & Black Fibres to be vastly superior along with a performance that is simply superb. I'll be keeping my eyes on future iterations of this brush but currently I'm not swayed by the HIS hype. I suggest working with a known shaving brush manufacturer rather than be a beta tester. That being said there are quite a few enthusiastic beta testers out there.

31 7,912
 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Ben, start with your "worst" badger and put it up against H.I.S, that'll be interesting.
Honestly, I have no idea how synthetic would feel. Just now, I had to go and look at my wifes brushes (I see it's compared to cosmetic brushes everywhere) and no way I would put it to my face.

88 4,233
 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
This is a brush I have on my list.If Gary says that is good,is good then.

86 7,123
 08-05-2012, 06:41 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I know, I said the same thing about boar. Some of the boar brushes I have now are my favorites, I am addicted to cheap Semouge 620.
Nah, I really shouldn't even try it. God forbid I like it Biggrin

88 4,233
 08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
User Info
(08-05-2012, 06:34 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Despite all I've read on this brush I can honestly say I have no desire to get it. I find the appearance of the Muhle Silvertip & Black Fibres to be vastly superior along with a performance that is simply superb. I'll be keeping my eyes on future iterations of this brush but currently I'm not swayed by the HIS hype. I suggest working with a known shaving brush manufacturer rather than be a beta tester. That being said there are quite a few enthusiastic beta testers out there.

Brian,

The company FM Brush has been manufacturing brushes of all types since 1927 and decided to take these same techniques into shaving brushes, which by the way is a very mature technology in terms of knot creation. The technique used to make a shaving brush is the same in producing cosmetic brushes, artist brushes, etc. Secondly, there are not a few beta testers out there on this brush. Too many of these brushes have been sold for that now.

I like Muhle brushes as well but they are actually the newcomer when it comes to brush manufacturing in terms of experience and time in the manufacturing of brushes.

(08-05-2012, 06:41 PM)beartrap Wrote: I know, I said the same thing about boar. Some of the boar brushes I have now are my favorites, I am addicted to cheap Semouge 620.
Nah, I really shouldn't even try it. God forbid I like it Biggrin

Bear trap, listen to Oscar11. He and I both make brushes, so let that also say something about the situation at hand. Does everyone like the H.I.S.? No, because not everyone likes every item produced. However, when experienced dyed in the wool badger users like it, then that lends credence to the argument.

For the record, the do not feel like any other natural brush. The closest description that I have had is that it feels more like velvet at the surface.

1 2,827
 08-05-2012, 06:51 PM
User Info
Gary,
Thanks to you most of this is well known as you've almost been reading a script about this brush for the past few months. I'm glad those out there enjoy it but I've had a few more personal conversations with users of this brush that drastically contradict the prevailing public posts. So as I said, I'm taking a sit back and watch approach.

31 7,912
 08-05-2012, 06:53 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-05-2012, 06:51 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Gary,
Thanks to you most of this is well known as you've almost been reading a script about this brush for the past few months. I'm glad those out there enjoy it but I've had a few more personal conversations with users of this brush that drastically contradict the prevailing public posts. So as I said, I'm taking a sit back and watch approach.

No no sit back please. Share what you have learned. It's always good to hear good AND bad.

88 4,233
 08-05-2012, 07:00 PM
User Info

I have also had discussions with the 4 vocal individuals who have been negative about the brush. For the few who dislike it, I have been in contact with more than 100 plus individuals who like it a lot. BTW, I have spent a lot of time in the past four months receiving PMs thanking me for suggesting this brush.

One more question. If you are sitting on the fence, with a wait and see approach, why are you posting negative comments on several forums, when this brush is discussed? I am not trying to be confrontational, but I am trying to understand why every time this brush comes up you find something negative to bring up about it, the company that produces it, and the value judgments of those who enjoy it.

1 2,827
 08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
This has become my favorite brush out of 18 different badger, boar, horse and synthetics. I have everything from a Chubby 2 in Super, an M&F Blonde Badger,a Shavemac 177 Silvertip etc., Semogue and Omega Boars, Vie Long Horse Hair's dyed and undyed, the Muhle Synthetics in Silvertip and Black Fibre, the Frank Shaving synthetic.

I adore all of my brushes and use them all but this H.I.S. just destroys ANY soap and whips up Ultra Lather from creams so easily and it requires less product to do so than any other brush that I have. It's so soft with great backbone, it holds a very decent amount of water, it lets the lather go easily. It's extremely comfortable to handle and it dries very rapidly.

It's a truly functional shave tool, not the beautiful, exotic, silvertip with a heritage or gorgeous beehive design, etc.
If you are looking for the ultimate, tool brush that just does everything and anything without any effort or fuss, than it's for you. And lastly, the knot size is not what you think if you've never used a synthetic brush. It does not equal a similar badger or boar. There is no real bloom and it will not feel as big as it's numbers suggest if that worries you.

6 905
 08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-05-2012, 06:43 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: For the record, the do not feel like any other natural brush. The closest description that I have had is that it feels more like velvet at the surface.

Thanks for that, I really don't like how velvet feels (on my face).

88 4,233
 08-05-2012, 07:25 PM
User Info
(08-05-2012, 07:00 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:

I have also had discussions with the 4 vocal individuals who have been negative about the brush. For the few who dislike it, I have been in contact with more than 100 plus individuals who like it a lot. BTW, I have spent a lot of time in the past four months receiving PMs thanking me for suggesting this brush.

One more question. If you are sitting on the fence, with a wait and see approach, why are you post negative comments on several forums, when this brush is discussed? I am not trying to be confrontational, but I am trying to understand why every time this brush comes up you find something negative to bring up about it, the company that produces it, and the value judgments of those who enjoy it.

Gary,
I'm just observing & questioning to try & piece it all together. You must have a search feature on your computer that alerts you of every single HIS post across the Internet like a bat signal as you come swooping in extolling all the virtues. As you've posted elsewhere about moving on to other projects, this "project" stays high on your radar. Just quite enthusiastic for a mere brush. As I said... just observing & questioning.

31 7,912
 08-05-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
(08-05-2012, 07:25 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(08-05-2012, 07:00 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:

One more question. If you are sitting on the fence, with a wait and see approach, why are you post negative comments on several forums, when this brush is discussed? I am not trying to be confrontational, but I am trying to understand why every time this brush comes up you find something negative to bring up about it, the company that produces it, and the value judgments of those who enjoy it.

Gary,
I'm just observing & questioning to try & piece it all together. You must have a search feature on your computer that alerts you of every single HIS post across the Internet like a bat signal as you come swooping in extolling all the virtues. As you've posted elsewhere about moving on to other projects, this "project" stays high on your radar. Just quite enthusiastic for a mere brush. As I said... just observing & questioning.

Brian, all synthetics and for that matter brushes period stay high on my radar since I am still working on articles concerning their manufacturing.

I will make a simple statement, I am not employed by FM Brushes or Artist Brushstrokes so if that is your inference, please stop right there. I have also been enthusiastic about Muhle's 25mm, and 23 mm Silvertip fibre brushes and the TGN/FS synsthetic knot.

1 2,827
 08-05-2012, 07:35 PM
User Info
Duly noted and archived.

* SharpSpine goes to sit back on the bench again to take more notes. Sherlock

31 7,912
 08-05-2012, 07:41 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Brian :

as I totally know the good member that you are,I also know that Gary is very sincere about what he tries and writes,so I know that his opinion is based on test and further test of a product (in this case a shaving brush) and not because of "hype" or getting "free goodies".

I would really like to test this brush on the future and post my opinions about it.

86 7,123