10-10-2016, 08:35 PM
User Info
I'm familiar with Feather (my favorite) and Personna Lab Blues

Can someone describe how Astra SP blades compare to these?

The price is attractive compared to the Feathers but if the longevity is worse it won't be worth it (I tend to get 2 shaves out of Feathers)

Thanks

0 42
 10-10-2016, 08:54 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Two shaves with feathers is the norm. Astras are one of those blades that fall into the netherworld of not terrible like Merkurs but mediocre to so so like Derbys. A few folks like them but your better off buying a sampler of brands before comitting to a bulk purchase. A rule of thumb is the many russian
blades are all decent and a few kismet with some users. Polsilvers are well regarded but recently discontinued. You would be hard pressed to  find fault
with them. If you find a blade that works well buying a bulk supply will repay your shaving experience many times, as in daily. "Penny wize and pound foolish"
applies here.

2 3,171
 10-11-2016, 02:30 AM
User Info
Yeah, what he said, mediocre. Best value (sharp and inexpensive) blades imho are Gillette Silver Blues.

52 1,176
 10-11-2016, 02:42 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find them really quite good actually. They last and last, too. They're so cheap it's neither here not there. Get some, try 'em out. I like them. I don't think they're like Derbys at all. Much better.

0 1,733
 10-11-2016, 02:52 AM
User Info
In the words of Dwight Schrute when Michael Scott asked him how his breath smelled, "good, not great".

87 892
 10-11-2016, 05:14 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I could not ever refer to Astra SP as mediocre.  I have found them sharp and forgiving - a very good to excellent blade depending on beard type, prepping, etc.  They are very popular for a reason, and it is not just the price, IMHO.

1 795
 10-11-2016, 05:21 AM
User Info
Lab Blues and Astra SPs are my favorite blades. I actually find them to deliver a similar shave. They aren't overly sharp and are very smooth and forgiving while still getting the job done. Dollar for dollar, I think these two blades are the best values on the market. As with all things(but especially blades), YMMV.

0 613
 10-11-2016, 05:37 AM
User Info
I have Personna Med Preps and Astra SS blades. Both give me wonderful shaves. I get at least four there pass shaves. Feather blades only two. Polsilver just tossed after seven; probably could have longer.

2 144
 10-11-2016, 07:06 AM
User Info
They are the only blade I use in my ATT S-1 (having tried a few others).  In fact, I believe Stan recommends them for the ATT line.  He ships a tuck with the razor when it comes.   I get 3 quality shaves from one blade, but YMMV, as in all things here.

0 169
 10-11-2016, 07:08 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Mediocre was a poor word choice for Astras. All shavers need to endure two rights of passage; shaving with that complimentary blade in a new Merkur and using a Feather, which Meles  brilliantly explained requires a specific razor configuration to support that thin blade. Very few blades, but more than acceptable are truly bad.
I've discovered that  paying studied attention to your shave with all kinds of soap and blades can reveal that High School yearbook photo for  few moments before the aftershave breaks our meditative
flirtation with shaving satori. All shavers need to try all blades, or, as my aunt Yola said 'eat your spinach. It might be all you have someday'. I love spinach. I hate kale.

2 3,171
 10-11-2016, 09:13 AM
User Info
Astra SP's are my go to blade 1 for the price and I get a full week of excellent shaves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 727
 10-11-2016, 02:53 PM
User Info
Astra greens used to be my top favorite but I have had others surpassed it since then. It's a very reliable razor and has never let me down, it's smooth and not prone to drag or bite.

Like G Man, I can get a full week of reliable performance.

10 1,149
 10-11-2016, 05:54 PM
User Info
Astra SS and SP are both great blades, and they will stay sharp for a while. For the money, they may be the best blades you can buy.

For reference, I like Feather and Kai.

0 263
 10-11-2016, 06:02 PM
User Info
Proving YMMV, I much prefer Astra to Polsilver.

13 469
 10-11-2016, 08:05 PM
User Info
Astra SP is very similar to Personna labs on my face.  I get 3 to 4 shaves from both.  Feather is 2 shaves.  I do not find them even close to Derby which when new feel to me like an Astra after 4 shaves.  Blades seem to be very subjective.

2 133
 10-12-2016, 03:51 AM
User Info
I get good results from them, and the price is great.

48 5,729
 10-12-2016, 04:59 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I wanted to like the astra sp'so.  But I just never seemed to get them to work for me. I like astra ss, feather and derby I am also really impressed with the Gillette silver blues.

0 358
 10-12-2016, 06:10 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
They're OK. They don't last as long as other blades that I've tried. I prefer Personna Labs. They're smooth, sharp, no glue spots, and made in the USA.

3 539
 10-13-2016, 02:24 AM
User Info
(10-11-2016, 05:14 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: I could not ever refer to Astra SP as mediocre.  I have found them sharp and forgiving - a very good to excellent blade depending on beard type, prepping, etc.  They are very popular for a reason, and it is not just the price, IMHO.

+1

5 90
 10-16-2016, 05:29 PM
User Info
The Astra SP price is good and I generally get a decent couple of shaves with them, but that's about it.

Personally, I gauge the actual cost of a blade in both objective and subjective terms.  Objective being the actual cost per shave - for example, I get maybe 2 decent shaves from Astras.  At ~ $0.12 per blade (purchased), that's $0.12 / 2 or $0.06 a shave.

Now compare that with my personal favorite blade - Polsilver, with which I get between 5 and 6 great shaves and perhaps up to 8 decent shaves, at a cost of ~$0.28 per blade (purchased), that's $0.28 / 5 or $0.056 a shave.

On that basis alone, objectively, the more expensive blade (Polsilver) is actually the cheaper blade - PER SHAVE.  So I'd look very closely at that when analyzing the various costs of blades.  

Cheaper to buy doesn't necessarily translate to cheaper per shave.

Then there's the subjective criteria - quality of shave (various factors determine quality).  This can be difficult to assess.  Truth is, some blades give a greater quality of shave than others and you need to factor that in to your assessment of total blade cost.  For example, I get a superior quality shave with Polsilvers than I do with Astras.  Both are in my rotation, btw - Astras aren't that bad - they're just not as good as Polsilvers (for me - YMMV).  Quality of shave though can be thought of somewhat objectively - in terms of how many shaves you get with the blade - i.e. per the above.

Of course, everyone's experience with different blades is different.  And certain blades work better in some razors than they do in others, so that's a factor as well.

Bottom line - I would strongly urge everyone to assess the cost of any blade on the basis of COST PER SHAVE rather than COST PER BLADE.

0 377