10-11-2016, 03:59 AM
User Info
...is there any way to [properly] transfer a hard soap to a scuttle?

I've been using creams (TOBS, Proraso, et. al.) for some time, along with the softer French/Italian style soaps like Caties Bubbles - all of which transfer readily to a scuttle for warm lathers, which I really enjoy.  I noticed Caties Bubbles has ended their French style soaps in favor of the harder, "new formula" versions - 8 oz tubs with 4 oz of product.  Lather is fine in the hard version - used the extra space in the tub to lather - but it's 'cold' compared to coming from the scuttle.

Just purchased some Barrister & Mann tallow soaps I've been wanting to try because of their ratings and being hard soaps as well, I'm concerned I won't be able to use my scuttle with any of them.

Thoughts?  Or do I suck it up and shave with 'cold' lather?  Smile

0 401
 10-11-2016, 04:57 AM
User Info
Load the soap and then build the lather in the scuttle.  Simple as that.  If you are making the lather right on the soap, rather than just loading, you are continuously adding more soap to the brush and it will be more difficult to achieve a good lather - plus you will be using more soap.  So, just load for 10, 20, 50 seconds, whatever is right for your brush and soap, then go to the scuttle and add water as needed like you would with a cream.

0 36
 10-11-2016, 05:51 AM
User Info
Yeah, you just lather in the scuttle. That's how it works. You load your brush and then use the scuttle, rather than your face or a different bowl, to lather.

3 197
 10-11-2016, 05:52 AM
User Info
(10-11-2016, 04:57 AM)jacwoob Wrote: Load the soap and then build the lather in the scuttle.  Simple as that.  If you are making the lather right on the soap, rather than just loading, you are continuously adding more soap to the brush and it will be more difficult to achieve a good lather - plus you will be using more soap.  So, just load for 10, 20, 50 seconds, whatever is right for your brush and soap, then go to the scuttle and add water as needed like you would with a cream.

Signs011

83 21,110
 10-11-2016, 06:37 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've had a scuttle on my scuttle list ever since reading about Doctor Moss. Always I saw the C word and these salutary bowl offerings for hard soap. Thankyou gentlemen; scribbling over cut crystal ships decanter on # 7 and writing in scuttle.

2 3,171
 10-11-2016, 02:21 PM
User Info
(10-11-2016, 06:37 AM)kav Wrote: I've had a scuttle on my scuttle list ever since reading about Doctor Moss. Always I saw the C word and these salutary bowl offerings for hard soap. Thankyou gentlemen; scribbling over cut crystal ships decanter on # 7 and writing in scuttle.

I've always wanted a scuttle but never gotten around to getting one. I know I'll probably use it once and then forget about it for the most (I cold water shave) part but they look cool.

I have a Turkish copper bowl for lathering samplers, but I can't say wasn't tempted by other bowls like Captain'a choice. Biggrin

11 1,170
 10-16-2016, 04:03 PM
User Info
Thanks guys.  Amazingly obvious and simple solution.  Doh.

I've used it with my new B & M soaps (Seville, Latha) and am a little embarrassed for thinking creams and soft-soaps were better solutions for me because I didn't think hard soaps were transferrable to a scuttle.

Only downside is that now I can see me having to go out and explore the world of hard soaps - especially since the Barrister & Mann soaps I purchased worked so amazingly well.

Time to go shopping...

0 401
 10-16-2016, 04:16 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I face lather exclusively, but also like warm lather, and use a brush scuttle in between passes. However, I do have to drag my regular scuttle out when I'm using my 33mm Thäter as it's too big to fit in my brush scuttle.

38 5,197
 10-17-2016, 07:42 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Imo, most of my B&M soaps aren't hard. They're quite soft and malleable. The two varieties that seem to be harder than the others are Seville and Diamond, yet I still view them as soft soaps. B&M unscented is the softest of the line, followed by the Latha line. In my experience Mitchell's Wool Fat, AoS tallow and Valobra are "hard" soaps.

7 2,358
 10-19-2016, 08:51 AM
User Info
As stated, the best solution is to load the brush first then lather in your scuttle.

If you were so inclined, however, you could scrape out a nickel sized ribbon of this soap and press it into the base and lather from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 517