10-11-2016, 01:26 PM
User Info
I've been thinking about getting a Chubby 2 in Synthetic (no reason in particular, other than I kinda want a Chubby 2 and I'm curious about synthetic), but all of the photos I've seen show a very narrow loft (is that what it's called when you're not measuring the height, but instead the width?).  Are most of these photos taken before the brush has been given a chance to bloom, or does synthetic just not bloom as much as a badger brush?

Thanks in advance!

0 43
 10-11-2016, 01:32 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Synthetic doesn't really bloom. All my synthetic brushes look the same as the day I got them

34 1,627
 10-11-2016, 01:40 PM
User Info
Well that answers that.  THANK YOU!

0 43
 10-11-2016, 02:50 PM
User Info
I have a Chubby 2 synthetic and a Maggards 26mm plissoft type synthetic brush. The Maggard splays easily while the Chubby has a ton of backbone and takes work to do so. They both return to original form. Bloom no, but they make awesome lather.

2 144
 10-11-2016, 07:48 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN  It's great to see you posting on your first day.  If you have a chance, please post something about yourself in the Introductions section, so that we can give you a proper welcome.

The Chubby 2 is my preferred synthetic.   My experience is that synthetics don't bloom.  However, I found that after some use, the Chubby 2 synthetic will loosen up just slightly, resulting in a little bit more splay.

Athough the Chubby 2 synthetic does not splay much, it doesn't need to splay a lot to work effectively. 

50 6,416
 10-11-2016, 07:53 PM
User Info
(10-11-2016, 02:50 PM)Spudnut Wrote: I have a Chubby 2 synthetic and a Maggards 26mm plissoft type synthetic brush. The Maggard splays easily while the Chubby has a ton of backbone and takes work to do so. They both return to original form. Bloom no, but they make awesome lather.

I also have both of these brushes Ron.  They are very different, but both effective at creating lather.

50 6,416
 10-11-2016, 08:18 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-11-2016, 07:48 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
Welcome to TSN  It's great to see you posting on your first day.  If you have a chance, please post something about yourself in the Introductions section, so that we can give you a proper welcome.

The Chubby 2 is my preferred synthetic.   My experience is that synthetics don't bloom.  However, I found that after some use, the Chubby 2 synthetic will loosen up just slightly, resulting in a little bit more splay.

Athough the Chubby 2 synthetic does not splay much, it doesn't need to splay a lot to work effectively. 

Signs011  It just takes a few shaves to learn the brush's idiosyncracies.

7 2,357