10-12-2016, 09:39 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
Hello,

This might not make much sense as far as a better shave, but i get a better shave with very little prep nowdays.In my 8 years of wetshaving I have always had trouble with ingrown hairs and irritation ect...  My usual routine was to take a very warm shower first then shave, and sometimes i would even apply a hot towel after the shower.

That routine didnt work for me, because of the long period of time my skin was exposed to much to the heat and moisture. Doesn't make sense right? Well let me explain. My skin is very sensitive, and taking a hotshower would make my skin very tender. So it would be easy for my skin to get irritation from shaving. So ive found out i get irritation free shaves with way less prep.

No here's my routine i use now: I will wash my face with warm water from the sink (not the shower) with a mild soap for about a minute. Then ill put a warm towel on for about a minute, then lather up with warm water and shave then i shower. After i shower i apply a ice cold towel for about 1 min. Apply after shave splash and im done. For me this is what i call a better shave. Of course this may not work for everybody its a ymmv thing, but i thought i would share maybe this could help someone with sensitive skin.

0 80
 10-12-2016, 10:08 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
Not my routine (though portions of yours match mine) but in anycase, it makes sense to me! Congrats on finding your perfect niche in the hobby!

Cheers!

129 320
 10-13-2016, 02:11 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Makes sense to me, that is why I cold water shave now.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-13-2016, 02:24 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-13-2016, 02:11 AM)BobH Wrote: Makes sense to me, that is why I cold water shave now.

Bob

+1

7 2,134
 10-13-2016, 04:20 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
It sounds like you should try cold water shaving.  I have sensitive skin and it works for me.  Try using a preshave oil instead of a warm towel.  I use Shave Secret.  It's reasonably priced, easy to find, and only takes 3 drops.

3 561
 10-13-2016, 06:06 AM
User Info
Sounds like you have a good routine.
I just splash a bit of warm water on my face, start face-lathering and, then shave. I like the simplicity. Shy

83 21,077
 10-13-2016, 06:51 AM
User Info
I take a warm shower first. I face lather with a saturated brush and cold water for a truly wet shaving experience. My skin is so much better now.

2 144
 10-13-2016, 05:52 PM
User Info
Most days I shower prior, but when I don't - I simply wash my face before then go into a face lather.

27 1,080
 10-13-2016, 06:29 PM
  • tof
User Info
Interesting!

I too have sensitive skin and find that a slight change in equipment causes much irritation. My skin is naturally oily and lotions/preshaves don't agree with me. 

I always thought one needed hot water to shave. Doesn't a cold water shave cause more irritation?  Please enlighten me about the proper way to cold water shave.

1 49