08-06-2012, 05:48 AM
User Info
I've never had a tub cream before, only creams in tubes and soaps in tubs.

I recently acquired a tub of RazoRock XXX and immediately ran into the question of how the heck do I use this. So I reverted back to the method I used when I had Trumper samples. I used a tiny plastic spooon to pull some out and spread it on my cheek. It worked ok, but I lost half of the cream when it fell of of the cheek from the brush action. If it was creamier it would have worked much better.

How do you use this sort of product? Load the brush in the tub as though it was a soap in a bowl?

Thanks guys!

BTW, nice cream! The scent is pleasant and not overpowering and the performance was incredible.

32 6,308
 08-06-2012, 05:57 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
For me I use it the same way I use a solid soap. I swirl my brush on the cream, but I just don't apply as much pressure and for a shorter amount of time. It doesn't take long to load the product onto the brush. Of course that also depends on the consistency of the cream as well. But for the most part this is how I use creams...... of course I'm shaving my legs rather than my face as well.

7 405
 08-06-2012, 06:01 AM
User Info
Same as Krissy, I load my damp brush by swirling it right in the tub. You'll be amazed how easily some of that stuff lathers!

2 362
 08-06-2012, 06:03 AM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
(08-06-2012, 05:57 AM)krissy Wrote: For me I use it the same way I use a solid soap. I swirl my brush on the cream, but I just don't apply as much pressure and for a shorter amount of time. It doesn't take long to load the product onto the brush. Of course that also depends on the consistency of the cream as well. But for the most part this is how I use creams...... of course I'm shaving my legs rather than my face as well.

+1 for everything except the bit about the legs 24

Depending on the texture and consistency of the cream or croap, I go with anything from a super quick swipe across the top with a damp brush to literally swirling a few laps around the tub akin to a soft soap.

11 366
 08-06-2012, 06:05 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Ooooh Good Point to bring up Seth!

For creams my brush is shaken out well then dip the tip in water to bring more water into the lather until it's what I want. I do this after I load the cream onto the brush and begin building my lather. .

But when I use a soap my brush has a lost more moisture onto it as I load the soap onto the brush. I think the extra water here helps to soften the soap a tish making it easier to load more soap onto the brush. But then I spend a lot more time loading a soap than a cream.

7 405
 08-06-2012, 06:08 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
For a product like XXX I load directly from the tub because it's consistency is really a croap. When using a tub cream with the consistency of Taylor Avacado for example I scoop out my desired amount with a tounge depresser and put it in my scuttle. I then lather with my wet brush. I avoid loading from the tub of an actual cream because water causes cream to go bad.

45 3,955
 08-06-2012, 06:12 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
For creams in a tub I use a spoon and transfer an almond sized piece to my scuttle and whip with my brush as usual. But I guess if you face lather my method will not work.

0 539
 08-06-2012, 06:13 AM
User Info
I guess I am a bit of an outlier here. I started loading XXX in the tub with the brush and it worked pretty well. However, I have now started scooping a bit out with my finger and rubbing on the face...then face lathering. Helps me with knowing exactly how much product I am working with. This is what I do with all my creams.

5 78
 08-06-2012, 06:20 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(08-06-2012, 06:08 AM)tgutc Wrote: I avoid loading from the tub of an actual cream because water causes cream to go bad.

IMHO Water doesn't cause the cream to go bad because the cream contains a preservative in it to prevent that from happening. If enough water is added to the container while loading the brush it can change the consistency of the cream. But the cream will not grow cooties because water has come in contact with it.

7 405
 08-06-2012, 07:09 AM
User Info
I bowl lather exclusively so I scoop out about barely two fingernail's worth of Razorock (XXX, Fresco, Cacao, Nervous Wreck etc) into the bowl and work it.

0 54
 08-06-2012, 08:29 AM
User Info
I find that loading the brush in TOBS like I load soap is very wasteful and makes an enormously thick lather and more than enough for 5 shaves (with the right brush). Anyway, I surmise that just dipping the tips in slightly, then dip water, then dip the tips in the soap, until you get the right consistency would be less wasteful.

I think that the finger method would be better, albeit messier. I was actually thinking of doing it that way before I read this thread.

9 2,988
 08-06-2012, 08:52 AM
User Info
I usually just scoop some out and put it on the brush and then go to my face to face lather.

that's the same method I use when using creams in a tube.

40 5,830
 08-06-2012, 09:00 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I made this video at a request from Joe (RazoRock) and I used the RazoRock XXX and a Omega brush.To facelather with this soap is very easy,as you can see in the video.Of course,you can use circular strokes or painting ones with your brush.

You can also read what Joe wrote here : http://www.razorock.com/how-to-use

86 7,123
 08-06-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
Thanks everyone!

32 6,308
 08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
User Info
Great video, Teiste. Good luck, Brian.

75 20,883
 08-06-2012, 11:02 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
For bowl lathers a baby spoon also works really great for scooping some out while keeping everything neat and tidy. Thanks Freddy for that tip, it's his tip really! You want the narrow baby spoon not the wider toddler spoon.

If you don't have one laying around from your own kids they are cheap in stores like walmart or target. Cheaper yet at thrift stores or garage sales.

7 405
 08-06-2012, 11:27 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
(08-06-2012, 11:02 AM)krissy Wrote: For bowl lathers a baby spoon also works really great for scooping some out while keeping everything neat and tidy. Thanks Freddy for that tip, it's his tip really! You want the narrow baby spoon not the wider toddler spoon.

If you don't have one laying around from your own kids they are cheap in stores like walmart or target. Cheaper yet at thrift stores or garage sales.

I have an old teaspoon that I use.

0 539
 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM
  • jss
User Info
I use a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream sample spoon....

0 264
 08-06-2012, 03:23 PM
User Info
I agree with Krissy and others. With XXX, I swirl load my brush right from the container. You can also scoop out a bit and rub it between your fingers to get it from a solid to a cream and then massage your face with your fingers, then use the brush to build lather.

(08-06-2012, 05:48 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I've never had a tub cream before, only creams in tubes and soaps in tubs.

I recently acquired a tub of RazoRock XXX and immediately ran into the question of how the heck do I use this. So I reverted back to the method I used when I had Trumper samples. I used a tiny plastic spooon to pull some out and spread it on my cheek. It worked ok, but I lost half of the cream when it fell of of the cheek from the brush action. If it was creamier it would have worked much better.

How do you use this sort of product? Load the brush in the tub as though it was a soap in a bowl?

Thanks guys!

BTW, nice cream! The scent is pleasant and not overpowering and the performance was incredible.

9 1,199
 08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
(08-06-2012, 11:58 AM)jss Wrote: I use a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream sample spoon....

That's a good idea, my son works at Baskin Robbins. I will have to ask him to bring me a couple of these spoons home.

0 539