10-13-2016, 05:14 PM
User Info
Just joined the website, and have been using mostly Tapatalk to follow several threads.

I have been wet shaving now for exactly one year and love it.  I have had to go back to a cartridge when traveling with a carry-on and no longer like the feel or performance of a cartridge razor.

My first razor was (and still is) the EJ DE89 with the Taconic Lime soap and a cheap badger brush.  I soon discovered the addiction to trying different soaps, and now have 8.

With time I had the courage to try a Merkur 39C slant.  I love the weight, smoothness and aggressiveness of this razor, but it consistently gives me a few small weepers.  Various blade combinations have not solved the problem, so I am on a quest to find the 39C's aggressiveness and smoothness, but without the 'bite'.  I recently bought a used ikon x3 but it has not worked for me.

For now, my go to hardware is RazoRock's boar brush (once I broke this beast in it will lather anything), an artisan-made shave bowl from Etsy (unfortunately the artist seems to have left Etsy), and my EJ DE89 with an Israeli Personna blade.  The EJ with Personna blade is almost fool proof for me, but just not as smooth as the Merkur 39C. For soap I'm currently using the Italian Barber Primavera.  My soap stash includes Arko, Stirling Tuscany, Captain's Choice Bay Rum, RazoRock Don Donato, PAA 11235, a sample of Mystic River unscented (though I added Clubman to it), and a tube of Omega Eucalyptus and Pacific Shaving Caffeinated. The last two I am using for shampoo.  I love the Omega scent, but it creates a film on the razor that causes it to stick.  The Pacific Shaving is just so-so in terms of lather quality.

For aftershave it's a toss-up.  Currently using the TFS Sotto la Mole from Italian Barber.  A have a few other brands, and looking to potentially acquire Fine AB or Platinum.

I am really thinking about trying the 2013 Muhle R41.  Any suggestions from the members on a next level up from the EJ DE89 or Merkur 39C?

0 44
 10-13-2016, 05:34 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN.   You'll find much knowledge and friendship here.   We look forward to your participation.

48 5,727
 10-13-2016, 05:45 PM
User Info
Welcome! [Image: TgkVdAj.gif]

16 1,892
 10-13-2016, 05:46 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Enjoy the Forum!

59 4,389
 10-13-2016, 05:48 PM
User Info
Welcome. Hello

82 21,056
 10-13-2016, 06:08 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

0 727
 10-14-2016, 09:38 AM
User Info
Hello, welcome to: " The Shave Nook "  Relax & Enjoy.

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 10-14-2016, 10:17 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Welcome to another Michigander!

43 461
 10-14-2016, 04:08 PM
User Info
Welcome , glad to have you with us!

0 596
 10-14-2016, 04:29 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Welcome to TSN.

I find Captains Choice soap to be excellent. For me, slants are a novelty. DE is my regular shaver of choice.

Keep experimenting. Its a great hobby.

57 1,568
 10-14-2016, 04:49 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN

1 309
 10-20-2016, 05:33 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
Hello and welcome!

11 678
 11-07-2016, 06:32 PM
User Info
(10-13-2016, 05:14 PM)olpski Wrote: Just joined the website, and have been using mostly Tapatalk to follow several threads.

I have been wet shaving now for exactly one year and love it.  I have had to go back to a cartridge when traveling with a carry-on and no longer like the feel or performance of a cartridge razor.

My first razor was (and still is) the EJ DE89 with the Taconic Lime soap and a cheap badger brush.  I soon discovered the addiction to trying different soaps, and now have 8.

With time I had the courage to try a Merkur 39C slant.  I love the weight, smoothness and aggressiveness of this razor, but it consistently gives me a few small weepers.  Various blade combinations have not solved the problem, so I am on a quest to find the 39C's aggressiveness and smoothness, but without the 'bite'.  I recently bought a used ikon x3 but it has not worked for me.

For now, my go to hardware is RazoRock's boar brush (once I broke this beast in it will lather anything), an artisan-made shave bowl from Etsy (unfortunately the artist seems to have left Etsy), and my EJ DE89 with an Israeli Personna blade.  The EJ with Personna blade is almost fool proof for me, but just not as smooth as the Merkur 39C. For soap I'm currently using the Italian Barber Primavera.  My soap stash includes Arko, Stirling Tuscany, Captain's Choice Bay Rum, RazoRock Don Donato, PAA 11235, a sample of Mystic River unscented (though I added Clubman to it), and a tube of Omega Eucalyptus and Pacific Shaving Caffeinated. The last two I am using for shampoo.  I love the Omega scent, but it creates a film on the razor that causes it to stick.  The Pacific Shaving is just so-so in terms of lather quality.

For aftershave it's a toss-up.  Currently using the TFS Sotto la Mole from Italian Barber.  A have a few other brands, and looking to potentially acquire Fine AB or Platinum.

I am really thinking about trying the 2013 Muhle R41.  Any suggestions from the members on a next level up from the EJ DE89 or Merkur 39C?

Welcome to TSN.  Hope you enjoy!  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

If you're open to an adjustable, I'd highly recommend the Merkur Progress - or better yet, the Mergress XL

0 377
 11-07-2016, 09:50 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Welcome to the forum!

28 1,433