10-14-2016, 07:43 PM
User Info
I just shaved again tonight with my SE1 Colossus, with the usual perfect results, and got to thinking the open comb version might be coming along pretty soon.

So, I checked the ATT website, and the SE2 apparently was just posted last night! I ordered a baseplate, which is available separately, to go with my SE1 setup, and can hardly wait for the mailman to show up next week. 

Yay Stan!

1 57
 10-15-2016, 01:38 AM
User Info
Definitely looking forward to hearing a review on it. Stan and the other vendors usually post under the Swap and Shop and then under Vendor News when items come in stock or for updates on new products.

49 356
 10-15-2016, 10:39 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I hope you will share your thoughts and a performance comparison of the two with us, because the se1 has been peaking my interest lately and this has now thrown me for a loop. I noticed looking at the picture that there doesn't seem to be the year engraved on the bottom of the head. I wonder if the date on all razors will be done away with in the future?

7 290
 10-19-2016, 03:15 PM
User Info
Shaved with my new SE2 this morning and liked it a lot!! It has a bit more bite than the SE1 but I really like it with a Kai Titan Mild blade. 2 pass BBS using Cold River Soap Works Oliva Honeywood. Very nice shave this morning and I'm using the same Marley Machine Works custom handle that I use with my SE1. I put it just under my Rocnel SE50 if not neck and neck with it. The Asylum Rx is at the top of my list right now with a Feather Pro blade. To my knowledge, Stan has released the first modern open comb SE. Job well done as always with ATT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 743
 10-20-2016, 07:21 PM
User Info
Couldn't resist getting the OC baseplate. I enjoy the shave from the SE-1 but wished for a bit more efficiency.  Tonight's shave with the SE-2 was indeed more efficient.  The first pass needed some adjustments in angle, but afterwards it was quite smooth.  I did a light three pass shave with only a bit of touchup on my chin and the result is excellent. I look forward to more shaves with this beauty... the fit and finish is quite nice.
Today's SOTD:

[Image: hJsClYX.jpg]

10 1,650
 10-21-2016, 04:17 AM
User Info
(10-20-2016, 07:21 PM)number six Wrote: Couldn't resist getting the OC baseplate. I enjoy the shave from the SE-1 but wished for a bit more efficiency.  Tonight's shave with the SE-2 was indeed more efficient.  The first pass needed some adjustments in angle, but afterwards it was quite smooth.  I did a light three pass shave with only a bit of touchup on my chin and the result is excellent. I look forward to more shaves with this beauty... the fit and finish is quite nice.
Today's SOTD:

[Image: hJsClYX.jpg]
Glad you liked it my friend, have one on the way and was slightly dubious after hearing TSE's thoughts on it (minimal difference from the SE1). Stan mentioned it was more efficient and a little more towards the R plate, as opposed to between the M and R. Look forward to comparing and using this.

0 831
 10-21-2016, 09:29 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Thanks for the reviews gentleman! Cheers I'm going to have to move this razor to the top of my list.

7 290
 10-24-2016, 06:32 PM
User Info
My SE2 baseplate arrived promptly, but I haven't tried it yet. 

My experience with the SE1 prompted me to revisit some of my ATT double edged heads, so I am sure fellow supporters of Stan's confectionary will understand. Darn, he makes good razors!

1 57
 10-25-2016, 04:45 AM
User Info
I received my ATT SE2 yesterday with an Atlas handle and it is beautifully constructed.   My first shave this morning (3 passes with touchups) with a Feather Pro blade and Razorock Don Marco soap gave me a great BBS shave.  I did get a few weepers on my chin, however, despite using very light pressure.   I used mostly a steep angle.   Do you think the steep angle was the issue (what is the recommended shaving angle for this razor?) or maybe I used more pressure than I thought I did?   The feather blades are so sharp and the razor is so smooth, you can't even till you are getting any weepers when they occur.   I'm sure my shaves will improve as I learn the razor more.    One thing I noticed is that it does not have rinse cutouts in the baseplate, like the SE1 does, but it didn't seem to be an issue with the OC design.    I like a steep angle with my R41 so that is why I used a steep angle here.  Thoughts?

1 87
 10-25-2016, 07:31 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(10-25-2016, 04:45 AM)kenloupa Wrote: I like a steep angle with my R41 so that is why I used a steep angle here.  Thoughts?
I found a shallow angle (handle about 70º wrt my face) to be my best bet, but as everything in shaving, YMMV!

0 363
 10-25-2016, 04:04 PM
User Info
(10-25-2016, 07:31 AM)beamon Wrote:
(10-25-2016, 04:45 AM)kenloupa Wrote: I like a steep angle with my R41 so that is why I used a steep angle here.  Thoughts?
I found a shallow angle (handle about 70º wrt my face) to be my best bet, but as everything in shaving, YMMV!

Thanks!   I'll try a shallow angle and see how it goes.

1 87
 10-28-2016, 04:26 PM
User Info
[Image: N8to5uq.jpghttp:]

My SE2 base plate arrived yesterday and I had my first shave with it this morning, replacing the base plate on my SE1 and using a Jurgen Hempel Microfine 1 titanium handle.

I wasn't expecting it to shave radically different from the SE1 and it didn't, although there is a definite. difference. I'd say that it's slightly more aggressive but still buttery smooth. I ended up with a BBS irritation and weeper free shave, unusual for my first outing with any razor.

With both the SE1 and SE1 (and most single edge razors, for that matter) I use a shallow angle.

It's only one shave, but I have a feeling that my SE1 base plate is going to be gathering some dust. Cool

--Bob

0 185
 10-30-2016, 11:27 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I received an ATT SE2 Open Comb baseplate the other day.  I have been using the SE1 in rotation since Stan sent one for testing earlier this year.  I have also tried other razors of the Feather Artist Club format - first a Cobra, the Feather SS, then a Mongoose, more recently the Asylum Rx, and the ATT SE1.

I'm generally a fan of Open Combed razors, so news of an ATT SE version was welcome.  It is, I believe, the only stainless steel AC format razor with an Open Comb.  I paired the OC with the stock Bamboo type handle, which I have found to be comfortable if a bit longer than I prefer.  The new OC head was just 1 gram heavier than my safety bar version on my scale, so the razor's balance and feel in hand remained about the same for me.  The combs on the SE2 are pretty minimal, and I couldn't see a difference in blade gap between that head and the SE1.

There is a difference in the shave, in a good way from my perspective.  I had tagged the original SE1 as mild, even with the Feather Professional Super pro "max aggression" blades.  The SE2 OC is as promised more aggressive, if not scarily so.  Even with the Pro Super blades  I got a smooth comfortable BBS shave.  With the base Feather Professional blades it shaved smoother, albeit a bit less close for me.  The nice thing about the ATT SEs is that one can use the full range of available Artist Club style blades to customize the aggressiveness of the shave.   The open comb also leaves behind some lather that I think helps when buffing the rough patches, and I have plenty of those. 

I'd highly recommend the SE2.  After three shaves, I think that for me at least, the SE2 Open Comb will likely replace the safety bar version.   A unique razor with the Open Comb, the SE2 would be a good plunge into AC shaving, or if you have the SE1 a worthwhile upgrade if you'd like a tad more bite or just enjoy old style combs.

43 459
 11-05-2016, 07:11 AM
User Info
I have now tried out my OC SE2 baseplate with the Colossus handle which also works well for me on the SE1. I started out with a Kai Mild just to be on the safe side, but after 3 tries I set it aside; I had to do so much buffing I was on the edge of irritation, both my face and my attitude. 

Then, to a Feather Pro Guard, and great results. Fine two pass shave, virtually no buffing. For me, a very shallow angle works well; I think the blade is able to show its stuff by cutting, not scraping. 

I need to finish this blade, then go back to the SE1 for a fresh comparison, so I not yet sure which I would pick if I could have only one, but I am very happy to have no need to make that choice! Both are great razors.

1 57
 11-05-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
Good to read these reviews. I'm not sure I'm ready for an SE1 or SE2 just yet but I'm sure above the tie did an incredible job on them. I have the S1 and S2 DEs and prefer the S1 so I'm wondering if I might prefer the SE1 over the SE2? Regardless, if I decide to go luxury SE it will def be ATT.

1 468