10-15-2016, 06:30 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
In this thread, I will make an attempt to compare these two stainless steel SE razors that take the AC type blades.

I bought the Mongoose the last Spring and the Rocnel a few weeks ago. I've used both enough times and therefore I've made some conclusions.

Both are heavy razors. Rocnel is a bit heavier. Mongoose weighs 140g, while Rocnel weighs 153g, according to the vendors/ makers. I know that the weight can be a problem for many wet shavers, that's why they choose to pair the heads of these razors with lighter handles of different material. Personally, I don't have a problem with them in terms of weight, since they shave well. I admit that when Rocnel announced the launch of this razor and saw the design, I understood that this would be a heavy razor and I was hesitant. But, as the saying goes, don't judge something before you try it. The good thing is that they are both well- balanced razors.

They are quality razors. Their finishes are perfect, no imperfections on them. I'd like to mention that when I received my first Rocnel, the P model, of the first batch, there were some imperfections. It seems that this company has upgraded their quality control and the later batches are perfect. I chose the polished version of the Rocnel that seemed more attractive to my eyes and back then the matte finish of the Mongoose, since the polished was not available due to some problems that the machined shop of Mongoose was facing. The finish is a matter of preference.

Handles. My Mongoose has the barberpole handle, while the Rocnel has the smooth one. I really like them. The smooth one is not slippery at all. But, it's good not to have slippery hands while shaving, you never know. This goes for every razor we use.

Their designs are innovative. Mongoose did something that no one had done back then, the other option was the Cobra razors, that's why it had such a big success. Even today, we see other companies trying to copy the Mongoose head design for their razors. That's not a secret. Rocnel has a very innovative design too. The whole slide mechanism is something I really like. Although, it's not so easy to load the blade, you have to remove the screw etc., so it takes some time.

They shave very nice. My blade of choice is the Feather Pros. It's not difficult to find the correct cut angle. The main difference between these two is that the Rocnel shaves a bit smoother. This is a reason that Mongoose is not a part of my rotation anymore, I prefer the aluminum version, the Alumigoose V2. It shaves me better, the shave feeling with this razor is better. They shave beautifully my problem areas( neck) as well, without leaving stubble behind, like many other DE razors do. In this case, I had to do an extra pass. With these two, that's not necessary. However, smoothness is something that matters to me. When I read that Asylum Rx is a smooth stainless steel razor, I was very happy. It's a fact that some stainless steel razors lack of shave smoothness.

They come in a nice cardboard little box. Presentation matters nowadays. The presentation of Rocnel especially is very nice.

Availability. I bought the Rocnel from a European vendor located in Spain, since it's not very easy to order them directly from Turkey, Paypal is not an option there anymore. Mongoose seems to be out of stock, this design specifically is discontinued. Will they continue producing them like they used to? Who knows. Time will tell.

About the price, Mongoose razors are more expensive than the Rocnels. I recall when the production of this Rocnel model announced, there was a rumor that it will cost a lot less than the price we paid, but that's not something that really matters, since it's an affordable option anyway. But, I'm sure that producing razors in the States can be costly. It's not like producing razors in Asian countries, in Pakistan, in India, in Turkey etc.

If I had to choose between these two pieces of steel, I would go for the Rocnel. At this moment, my main rotation consists of the OneBlade, the Alumigoose and the Schick Injector. A few months ago, I came into the conclusion that SE razors fit me the best and as a result I almost never use my DEs.

49 2,017
 10-15-2016, 06:55 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Nick I find my self in a similar place in my shaving experience. I have moved almost exclusively to SE shaving. However, I sold off all my Mongoose and Cobra razors. My razors are now limited to; One Blade, ATT SE,Asylum RX, Rochnel SE 50 and a Wolfman SB for change up and my only DE. I use Kai mild pink blades in all my SE razors and Feathers in The Wolfman. I think I am finished buying razors for the time being. I don't think any other razor is comparable to these razors. My major decision is which one will I use in the morning rather than which one I like more.

70 1,098
 10-15-2016, 08:54 AM
User Info
I'm still a big fan of my Mongoose, although my ATT SE1 gives it some serious competition.  Guess I prefer a slightly more aggressive shave.  

Just spent the last two weeks shaving exclusively with the Mongoose (with an ATG pass everyday) with no problems with irritation or nicks.  Have yet to try the Rocnel, may have to keep an eye on the BST.

54 1,214
 10-15-2016, 10:18 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(10-15-2016, 08:54 AM)david1201 Wrote: I'm still a big fan of my Mongoose, although my ATT SE1 gives it some serious competition.  Guess I prefer a slightly more aggressive shave.  

Just spent the last two weeks shaving exclusively with the Mongoose (with an ATG pass everyday) with no problems with irritation or nicks.  Have yet to try the Rocnel, may have to keep an eye on the BST.

Just got the Rochnel and shaved with it for the first time. I am disappointed with it's performance. I found it too heavy,too aggressive, too big a gap for me. I managed to cut myself 3 times (not weepers). I will shave with it once or twice more and then it is yours if you want it.

70 1,098
 10-15-2016, 10:41 AM
User Info
(10-15-2016, 10:18 AM)Barrylu Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 08:54 AM)david1201 Wrote: I'm still a big fan of my Mongoose, although my ATT SE1 gives it some serious competition.  Guess I prefer a slightly more aggressive shave.  

Just got the Rochnel and shaved with it for the first time. I am disappointed with it's performance. I found it too heavy,too aggressive, too big a gap for me. I managed to cut myself 3 times (not weepers). I will shave with it once or twice more and then it is yours if you want it.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Rocnel, if you don't want it why don't you pass it around for others to try and decide whether they will fork out or stay put for another SE? The Ikon El-Jefe is about to be launched. I'm sure like all the Ikon products, the El-Jefe is going to be a better razor.

0 313
 10-17-2016, 12:30 PM
User Info
I am a big fan of the Rocnel SE50. I put it in between my new Asylum Rx and my ATT SE1. I also pair the Rocnel with a titanium Jurgen Hempel bead blasted handle. This combo is outstanding with either a Feather Pro blade or a Kai Titan Mild. I have never had any nicks or irritation from this razor. I still like my Mongoose and One Blade a lot but tend not to use them much. I still love some of my DE's though. I have a large rotation but seem to come back to my SE's more often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 951
 10-27-2016, 05:17 PM
User Info
(10-17-2016, 12:30 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote:
gmhjr06 Wrote:I am a big fan of the Rocnel SE50.  I put it in between my new Asylum Rx and my ATT SE1.   I have a large rotation but seem to come back to my SE's more often.

Quote:I agree,  I have only had two shaves with the Asylum RX, and have not gotten used to it.  I really like the Rocnel SE50, finding it easy to use from the beginning, the ATT ok, but not as unique as the other two.    If Rocnel had trimmed a little metal off the head and made it less clunky it would in my opinion be perfect. 

I spent two years in Turkey back in the early 1970's and never saw anything of this quality and precision being made.  It looks like they have made a lot of progress in the 40+ years since I was there.

0 26
 11-06-2016, 12:21 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
After several uses of the Asulum, today I shaved with the Rocnel SE50. While they are both very good razors, I have to say that I prefer the Asylum. It's lighter, milder and gives slightly smoother shaves. I believe these two razors have the most innovative design on the market right now. That's another reason why I like them so much.

49 2,017
 11-06-2016, 12:45 PM
User Info
(11-06-2016, 12:21 PM)nikos.a Wrote: After several uses of the Asulum, today I shaved with the Rocnel SE50. While they are both very good razors, I have to say that I prefer the Asylum. It's lighter, milder and gives slightly smoother shaves. I believe these two razors have the most innovative design on the market right now. That's another reason why I like them so much.
Niko, which one would you prefer had you been an aggressive razor guy, with a hard stubble?

0 313
 11-06-2016, 12:50 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(11-06-2016, 12:45 PM)kyproset Wrote:
(11-06-2016, 12:21 PM)nikos.a Wrote: After several uses of the Asulum, today I shaved with the Rocnel SE50. While they are both very good razors, I have to say that I prefer the Asylum. It's lighter, milder and gives slightly smoother shaves. I believe these two razors have the most innovative design on the market right now. That's another reason why I like them so much.
Niko, which one would you prefer had you been an aggressive razor guy, with a hard stubble?

My friend, I have that type of beard you describe and I have to admit that the main reason that I prefer the Asylum to the Rocnel SE50 is the smooth shaves I get. Rocnel SE50, especially for someone with no SE experience, is not the best option. It's more on the aggressive side, it bites and needs some good technique. In a nutshell, it takes more time to enjoy it. Asylum Rx can be a daily razor for someone, in my opinion.

What is your name, by the way?

49 2,017
 11-06-2016, 04:06 PM
User Info

Totally agree with you on this. I have both and love both. I use a titanium handle with my SE50 to take bit of the weight away. I love my Asylum and I have the new ATT SE2. The Asylum takes the top spot on my SE list but the SE50 and SE2 are very close to each other in the 2nd and 3rd spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 951
 11-06-2016, 09:35 PM
User Info
(11-06-2016, 12:50 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(11-06-2016, 12:45 PM)kyproset Wrote:

My friend, I have that type of beard you describe and I have to admit that the main reason that I prefer the Asylum to the Rocnel SE50 is the smooth shaves I get. Rocnel SE50, especially for someone with no SE experience, is not the best option. It's more on the aggressive side, it bites and needs some good technique. In a nutshell, it takes more time to enjoy it. Asylum Rx can be a daily razor for someone, in my opinion.

What is your name, by the way?
Hi, Niko,

Thank you for the reply, I hope I'll be able to get the RX as well next time around.
My name is Kypros, like the island.

0 313
 11-07-2016, 12:50 AM
User Info
(10-15-2016, 06:30 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
About the price, Mongoose razors are more expensive than the Rocnels. I recall when the production of this Rocnel model announced, there was a rumor that it will cost a lot less than the price we paid, but that's not something that really matters, since it's an affordable option anyway. But, I'm sure that producing razors in the States can be costly. It's not like producing razors in Asian countries, in Pakistan, in India, in Turkey etc.

Thanks for the review and sharing your thoughts.

Please dont take this offensive, i just want to make some points clear. I don't think there is a difference between the costs in US and Turkey in terms of production. CNC production is the same. The difference comes from innovation, design and labor. I think Pakistan is in the cloning category rather than the production. So they are not in the same league with us.

17 457
 11-07-2016, 02:14 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(11-07-2016, 12:50 AM)Barbaros Razors Wrote:

Please dont take this offensive, i just want to make some points clear. I don't think there is a difference between the costs in US and Turkey in terms of production. CNC production is the same. The difference comes from innovation, design and labor. I think Pakistan is in the cloning category rather than the production. So they are not in the same league with us.
Thanks for the comment!

I think it was wrong of me to put Pakistan next to Turkey. I was trying to say that I don't believe that a machine shop in the States has the same costs with a machine shop in Turkey. I know that your razors are innovative and I appreciate that, I have two of them, but the fact that you're able to offer them at an affordable price, some Rocnels for example, is an advantage of yours! Can you imagine a stainless steel razor from the States with your quality at the same price with the SE50? Personally, I can't.

49 2,017
 11-07-2016, 02:28 AM
User Info
(11-07-2016, 02:14 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 12:50 AM)Barbaros Razors Wrote:

Thanks for the comment!

I think it was wrong of me to put Pakistan next to Turkey. I was trying to say that I don't believe that a machine shop in the States has the same costs with a machine shop in Turkey. I know that your razors are innovative and I appreciate that, I have two of them, but the fact that you're able to offer them at an affordable price, some Rocnels for example, is an advantage of yours! Can you imagine a stainless steel razor from the States with your quality at the same price with the SE50? Personally, I can't.

You are welcome,

Hopefully we will try to make affordable ones in the future. Actually the price of some is cheaper than you imagine because of the production methods. If we tried to produce them in the CNC with regular methods, it would probably triple the price.

Regards

17 457