10-20-2016, 05:39 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(10-20-2016, 05:19 PM)Sully Wrote: What a great offer Michael!  I was in on the original Cobra tour and ordered a Cobra before I passed the razor off to next person.  I think that your razor tours must have sold 1000's or razors.  These guys are in for a treat!

Agreed.
Michael has truly helped to cultivate and enrich. 
Kudos to him!

102 17,770
 10-20-2016, 07:00 PM
User Info
What a great gesture!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 367
 10-22-2016, 10:08 AM
User Info
The tour list has been updated in post #1.  If you messaged me, or posted in this thread inferring interest in participating, please let me know if I missed you.  The prescription for a better shave is on its way to Oregon today.

A couple other minor updates reflected in post #1.

1. Please feel free to have the razor in your possession up to 10 days. If you need less that is obviously fine, but I wanted to provide a few extra days for members.
2. Please insure the package for only $199. While the Rx costs more this will save you a couple dollars, but more importantly will not require members to go to the post office to sign for the package. I believe $200 and above triggers that signature requirement, and it is a big hassle for me...and possibly all of you.

Thanks!

52 396
 10-22-2016, 10:36 AM
User Info
Thanks a million Michael!

24 1,177
 10-22-2016, 11:23 AM
User Info
(10-15-2016, 01:17 PM)poonjaji Wrote: NOTE: I have no connection to Bullgoose Shaving, but Phil is a great guy.  I am doing this tour because I have been a fan of the Cobra Classic and King Cobra razors for several years, which were the inspriation for the Asylum Rx.   

General requirements for participation
Active Shave Nook members in "good standing" are welcome to send me a PM regarding participating in the tour. I would suggest active and good standing infers you have been around TSN for at least a few months and are participating in the community. If you are active on other shaving forums and are new to TSN I will take that into consideration. And if you do not qualify today but have interest, you may become eligible as the tour unfolds...so please feel free to send me a message and I can add you to the "reserve" list. 

Following are the rules that I have used for each of the tours I have hosted, which are simply intended to keep the tour fair, fun and safe. 

1. Please try to limit your time with the gear to 7 days. This should be enough time for some quality shaves and impressions. There will be exceptions, and if you know ahead of time your schedule will be limited (e.g., vacation, job constraints, travel) please let me know so we can adjust the order and keep the momentum going.

2. The package will contain an Asylum Rx razor, and packages of Kai Mild and Feather Professional blades.  Each member is invited to use one of each blade, so the package I am sending should allow up to 40 members to try the razor.  If we have more than interested members I will send additional blades onto the road when we reach that point.  

3. I am shipping the razor clean and sterilized. Please do the same before handing it off to the next member. Simple Green, soapy hot water, Barbicide and Scrubby Bubbles are fine.  Please do NOT use boiling water or bleach on the razor as it may cause irreversible damage. 

4. Carefully wrap and ship the package as your means allow (e.g, USPS, UPS, FedEx). It will be shipping in a small Priority Mail flat rate box. If Priority Mail is a hardship, please switch to a clean, generic box and pack securely. The razor and blades in the package are valued at over $230, and there is an expectation that each participant agrees to insure the package for $230 in order to replace the razor should something go awry.  Total costs for Priority Mail and insurance will be approximately $10, which you might consider the "cost of admission" for the tour.      

5. Communicate. Please post in this tour thread when you receive the razor and when it ships.  Upon receipt, please contact the next person on the list in order to have their shipping information on-hand when your time with the razor is over.  Please PM me as needed or if you have questions. It is never fun to track you down if you are in possession of the razor and have gone off the grid.  

6. Post reviews! Please share your impressions, good or bad, with your fellow TSN members.  

7. Have fun and...go Shave Nook!

Thanks TSN!

Asylum Rx U.S. Tour
glassmtn (razor en route)
lloydrm
david1201
ajmiami
Chaddy
bakerbarber
brothers
Joucas
kbh2o
TripleG
pb56
LoungeLizard
GloryUprising
Rory1262
lfs70
RSP1
<your name goes here>  (Please reach out if you meet the qualifications above and would like to participate.)

[Image: IMG_3125_zps7yaffpp2.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3126_zpsh3iwpnvu.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3127_zpsvhtjyql0.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3128_zps1uvs9xf3.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3131_zps3tkkhjiw.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3134_zps2oqwfk82.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3135_zpspqxcmech.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3136_zpsxh5st71u.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3137_zpsdkumsd9y.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3138_zps2pcm1pqe.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3139_zpsmbk5yify.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3141_zpsygthmo64.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3142_zps7ojleygr.jpg]

0 2
 10-22-2016, 11:24 AM
User Info
I would love to be on the tour. Another member already accepted on the tour is in my town.

0 2
 10-22-2016, 12:15 PM
User Info
Hi Michael,

Thanks for allowing me to participate.  

In response to your question regarding time with the Asylum, I think 7 days is more than sufficient.  As for me, an everyday shaver, 3 or 4 days is probably sufficient.

Thanks again for your generosity.  Can't wait for my turn!

Jay K.

6 116
 10-22-2016, 12:51 PM
User Info
Now we're talking. Those pictures bring up what reviewers are saying about this razor. 
Thanks!

7 863
 10-22-2016, 01:19 PM
User Info
Those pictures are incredible.

Looks so precisely made.

6 992
 10-26-2016, 05:34 AM
User Info
The Rx arrived safely yesterday evening.  I will take my first shave later today.  Michael included a surprise guest razor--The Cobra Classic!

eric.

7 143
 10-27-2016, 05:12 AM
User Info
I've joined. Thank you Michael!

1 138
 10-28-2016, 04:03 PM
User Info
The Rx Tour continues, and is now on its way to MN.  It is perhaps the finest made modern razor that I have had the pleasure to use.  Beautifully constructed.  Congratulations Phil.  Well done.  And a big Thank You to Poonjaji for generously hosting the tour.

eric.

7 143
 10-28-2016, 04:17 PM
User Info
I'm out.

Ended up buying one...

Thanks again for your epic generosity Michael.

6 992
 10-31-2016, 05:27 PM
User Info
Rx & Co. have landed. I'm a night shaver to off it went to a well deserved warm bath while I was working out. 
First impressions: 
- Built like a tank. 
- The blade fits into the heads holes very precisely. If Feather ever makes a mistake with their blades they won't fit. Not the I'd expect that to happen, but that is how well they fit together. 
- The mechanism for opening the head just enough to put in or take out the blade is quite ingenious yet not very obvious. I knew that is how it works from this video and now I understand why others didn't figure it out the first time. Once you watch the video you'll see how it works. Just hold the razor from the middle of the handle 'cause otherwise you'll push up the lower part of the head. 

This is my first experience with a AC SE razor. I was expecting some odd feeling while shaving; kind of like squeeging lather off my face. That was not how it felt at all. Sure its bigger than a injector, GEM-style SE and DEs. But I found it easy to maneuver . Not sure how much of that is particular to the Rx vs other AC style SE razors but I'm hoping to learn that from the Cobra Michael very kindly included in the tour. 

I loaded the Rx with a Feather Pro. Very very nice results. Only issue was due to the unforgivingness of these blades. I have a scar on my chin that got nicked and had a blackhead, now surgically removed. The razor rinses easily to the point you'd think its perfectly clean, but nop. I opened it and it does get gunked up inside. This in not particular to the Rx though. I can only think of 1 maybe two razors I've used that I'm OK rinsing without disassembly after use. Then you have the injectors where you can't but that is a different story that I solve by soaking in hot water. 

This is a very nice razor. Its a tool, not a jewel; but it is a very well made tool. Too many conclusions after just one use for my liking, but luckily I still have more chances to use the razor and see how it goes.

7 863
 11-01-2016, 12:33 AM
User Info
Dear all,

I have a question for you gents who happen to own both the RX and the Schick E4 injector SE's.
How would you compare the two in terms of efficiency or aggressiveness as the Schick I have found is perfect for me and I would like to know if I'll like the RX when it arrives as much.
Any comments will be highly appreciated,
thank you.

0 141
 11-01-2016, 06:34 AM
User Info
Getting the right angle on the E is a full shaving time job. The Rx does it for you. 
I'd say you will find it heavy will like it.

7 863
 11-01-2016, 09:03 AM
User Info
http://poonjaji,

You are quite a trusting soul. I'm feeling sure the members here are all pretty honorable. It's refreshing to see this in a community.

Don

2 22
 11-01-2016, 09:20 AM
User Info
Thank you gents, I can't wait to get it.

0 141
 11-01-2016, 05:48 PM
User Info
Today was the Cobra's turn. Fantastic shave. A much lighter head (you really notice the head) and assembled razor. This one gunks up less than the Rx but it also accumulated residual lather in more intricate places. The blade holding mechanism makes it worst as it is not user-friendly. I wouldn't like to take the blade out of this razor very frequently, yet I'd dislike even more more putting a razor with old residues on my face.

7 863
 11-02-2016, 06:24 PM
User Info
Fantastics shave today with the Rx. This time I used a longer handle which, IMO, significantly improved the maneuverability of the razor. Halfway through I swapped back to the original handle and I definitely like it better on longer handle. I weighted the handles after use and to my surprise the original handle is lighter than longer one I used. Wonderful how easily you can switch handles on this head without worrying about alignment, dropping the blade, etc. 

In case anyone is wondering, I've been using the same Feather Pro. 

Note on Yesterday's shave: while immediately after it felt nice and confortable, surprisingly (for me at least) it did not last. 8-10 hours later I already noticed more hair growth than usual.

7 863