01-06-2017, 10:39 AM
User Info
Package arrived yesterday and got my first shave in this morning with the RX.  Thanks again to Michael for allowing us all to try out this razor!

This thing is extremely well built.  Has some weight to it, feels substantial in the hand, the fit and finish are outstanding, and the tolerances are tight.  The 2-piece head and handle all come together to hold the blade in place without any issues.  No moving, rattling, skipping, etc.  I really like the handle.  The knurling is excellent and provides very good grip during the shave.

Going into this, I've taken into consideration that I have sensitive skin.  That's not to say I can't use SEs (happy with my Hawk and Type I).  But the RX has what appears to be pretty good blade exposure, so I just wanted to be sure I grabbed a soap that would provide plenty of cushion and slickness.  B&M soap usually does the trick.  Here is a pic of my setup today (WD 24mm Silvertip, RX, Kai Mild, B&M Bay Rum)

[Image: VR0CAqu.jpg]

The Shave
Perhaps it was due to my skin, perhaps the blade, but I found the shave to be very aggressive.  With the overall weight and blade exposure, you definitely know the blade is making contact from the first stroke.  The RX has enough weight to it that I felt I needed to apply negative pressure at a couple of points.  Don't get me wrong.  Ended up with a DFS, but several nicks to show for it (2 passes).  Just seemed more aggressive than I would like.  Next time will try one of my Feather Pro Guards to see it that makes a difference.

The head is also a bit wider than I would like.  AC blades are just under 5cm in width.  The RX head is 5.5cm, meaning there is a bit more than 2.5mm of added head on either side of the blade.  Seems to lead to the head width getting in the way of things, especially under the nose.  

Well, that was only the first shave.  Like I said, I'll try a ProGuard for the next shave and see if it makes a difference.  Thanks again, Michael!

1 194
 01-06-2017, 06:26 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Progaurd will turn it around for you.

5 527
 01-07-2017, 09:26 AM
User Info
What is unique about the ProGuard that enhances the Rx? Do the guards add extra blade thickness that slightly increases the blade gap, increasing performance? I've been a Feather Pro user for my various SEs and have never tried a ProGuard.

I appreciate any input!

1 114
 01-07-2017, 09:55 AM
User Info
(01-07-2017, 09:26 AM)TripleG Wrote: What is unique about the ProGuard that enhances the Rx? Do the guards add extra blade thickness that slightly increases the blade gap, increasing performance? I've been a Feather Pro user for my various SEs and have never tried a ProGuard.

I appreciate any input!

The actual blade thickness is less than the Pro.  The ProGuard is 0.15 mm, while the Pro is 0.254 mm.  However, the "total thickness" of the ProGuard is thicker, due to the added material of the wire wrap of the blade edge itself.  This is designed to make the shaving experience more mild, and in theory, safer.  I can say this...using both the Pro and the ProGuard in the RX, I notice a significant difference.  The ProGuard is milder, in my experience, and is more forgiving of user error, than while using the Pro.

0 114
 01-07-2017, 04:16 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(01-06-2017, 06:26 PM)Chaddy Wrote: Progaurd will turn it around for you.

Signs011

111 1,374
 01-07-2017, 04:17 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(01-07-2017, 09:55 AM)nvpliers Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 09:26 AM)TripleG Wrote: What is unique about the ProGuard that enhances the Rx? Do the guards add extra blade thickness that slightly increases the blade gap, increasing performance? I've been a Feather Pro user for my various SEs and have never tried a ProGuard.

I appreciate any input!

The actual blade thickness is less than the Pro.  The ProGuard is 0.15 mm, while the Pro is 0.254 mm.  However, the "total thickness" of the ProGuard is thicker, due to the added material of the wire wrap of the blade edge itself.  This is designed to make the shaving experience more mild, and in theory, safer.  I can say this...using both the Pro and the ProGuard in the RX, I notice a significant difference.  The ProGuard is milder, in my experience, and is more forgiving of user error, than while using the Pro.

+100%

111 1,374
 01-07-2017, 05:50 PM
User Info
For me the best blade is the Kai Protouch MG. More forgiving than Proguard and gives me the same super close shave.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

3 965
 01-08-2017, 03:51 AM
User Info
The RX is like a str8 on a handle. It's an aggressive razor that can be toned down considerably with the different blades. It's not a razor that one can shave thoughtlessly with, but demands constant attention like any precision tool. With the pro guard, it rewards me with a BBs on 2 passes every time. It's a different shaving experience than with any other SE I own and I do suffer from RAD. Once learned it's pretty much impossible to beat.

0 187
 01-08-2017, 02:33 PM
User Info
Shave #2

Setup: Semogue 830, Big Easy Soaps Aquila, RX, Feather ProGuard

A much better shave today using the ProGuard.  However, still experienced several nicks, which is not usual for me.  Although, they weren't quite as prominent as with the first shave.  I think kyproset hit the nail on the head when he said, 

"The RX is like a str8 on a handle. It's an aggressive razor that can be toned down considerably with the different blades. It's not a razor that can shave thoughtlessly but needs constant attention like any precision tool."  

This razor works best when the user does not shave with any buffeting motion.  Find your direction and go.  No stroke-stroke, stroke-stroke.  That leads to inconsistent pressure and technique, and I think that may be where my issues come in.  I thought I had it dialed in this time...minimal buffeted strokes, got a DFS, even better than the first try.  I simply have to conclude that the RX just isn't a good fit for my face, for whatever reason (weight, width, exposure, etc).  It's really too bad, as this really is a great razor.  

I'll give the Cobra Classic a try then will send the the set on to GloryUprising.  Michael, thanks again for this opportunity!!

1 194
 01-08-2017, 04:53 PM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
For you guys finding this a bit too aggressive try the Kai protouch MG's. They turned this into an amazingly well designed and built smooth as butter shaver for me. I had almost given up on it for my sensitive face until I tried these blades - no weepers and no irritation at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 313
 01-08-2017, 06:21 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Don't give up yet. Use no pressure. Let us know how you like the cobra.

5 527
 01-11-2017, 08:27 AM
User Info
Shaved with the Cobra Classic yesterday....very nice.  Really like how it shaved.  Easy near-BBS in two passes.  

In studying the designs of both the RX and the Cobra you can see that the heads are of very similar dimensions, so wouldn't they shave similarly?  Not necessarily.  The dimensions may match, but the weights are slightly different.  The Cobra weighs a tad less and most of it seems to be in the handle, whereas the RX's weight favors the head.  My conclusion is that the weight distribution of the RX is what my face didn't like.  Too bad though, because it is a very nice razor.  

Thanks again, Michael, for allowing us to try out these razors!  I will get the package in the mail today in hopes that GloryUprising can start next week (perhaps the weekend) with the goodies.

1 194
 01-11-2017, 12:45 PM
User Info
(01-11-2017, 08:27 AM)LoungeLizard Wrote: Shaved with the Cobra Classic yesterday....very nice.  Really like how it shaved.  Easy near-BBS in two passes.  

In studying the designs of both the RX and the Cobra you can see that the heads are of very similar dimensions, so wouldn't they shave similarly?  Not necessarily.  The dimensions may match, but the weights are slightly different.  The Cobra weighs a tad less and most of it seems to be in the handle, whereas the RX's weight favors the head.  My conclusion is that the weight distribution of the RX is what my face didn't like.  Too bad though, because it is a very nice razor.  

Thanks again, Michael, for allowing us to try out these razors!  I will get the package in the mail today in hopes that GloryUprising can start next week (perhaps the weekend) with the goodies.

Thanks man! 

PM sent!

18 598
 01-11-2017, 12:50 PM
User Info
I agree on weight distribution making a major difference.

7 1,014
 01-14-2017, 07:18 PM
User Info
Heads up, the tracking said it was delivered but was not in the mail box.

I'm not too concerned YET since I've gotten a new mail carrier and packages seem to be showing up a day or so late periodically.  Either way, I've sent a message to the post master for now but I'm sure it will turn up on Monday if not sooner.

We're a small neighborhood so if it's delivered to the wrong box we've always been able to send it on to it's rightful owner.

18 598
 01-14-2017, 07:28 PM
User Info
(01-14-2017, 07:18 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Heads up, the tracking said it was delivered but was not in the mail box.

I'm not too concerned YET since I've gotten a new mail carrier and packages seem to be showing up a day or so late periodically.  Either way, I've sent a message to the post master for now but I'm sure it will turn up on Monday if not sooner.

We're a small neighborhood so if it's delivered to the wrong box we've always been able to send it on to it's rightful owner.

Hopefully you'll receive it Tuesday. Monday is a USPS holiday.

0 114
 01-14-2017, 09:48 PM
User Info
(01-08-2017, 04:53 PM)RSP1 Wrote: For you guys finding this a bit too aggressive try the Kai protouch MG's. They turned this into an amazingly well designed and built smooth as butter shaver for me. I had almost given up on it for my sensitive face until I tried these blades - no weepers and no irritation at all.

Same experience here. Protouch MG are a winner combination with this razor. BBS in two passes and nicks/weepers/irritation free. Best shaves of my life.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

3 965
 01-15-2017, 05:21 AM
User Info
(01-14-2017, 07:18 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Heads up, the tracking said it was delivered but was not in the mail box.

I hope the package gets to you ok!

1 194
 01-17-2017, 07:50 PM
User Info
The package arrived today as I thought.

First shave tonight! Hurra.

18 598
 01-18-2017, 07:25 AM
User Info
That's great waiting for your review

10 193