03-21-2017, 10:04 AM
User Info
Ok a couple more shaves in the books and I'm starting to like the razor a bit better.  

Shave 2

Razor: Asylum RX
Blade: Feather Pro (2)
Brush: Rubberset 400 with 24mm Declaration knot
Soap: L&L Spices
Aftershave: Midnight & Two The Cabin aftershave balm

The razor is getting a bit smoother as I'm getting more used to it.  It's likely still about the most aggressive razor in my shave den at the moment.  About on par or slightly more aggressive than the ATT H series razors that I have.  Definitely more aggressive than the ATT SE1 and King Cobra razors that use the same blade.  

I went with the L&L soap because I just got it and it's crazy slick so I figured that can't hurt.  The brush is excellent as well.  I'll reach for this brush, a Paladin or the Shavemac 2 band silvertip that I have set in a Wolf Whiskers handle most days as all are outstanding.  

The razor is a bit smoother today but there's no denying that this is an aggressive razor.  I'm doing a better job with the angle and using about as light of a touch as I can but I'm not really enjoying the shaves from it.  If this razor were put in my hands a couple years ago when I was into the most aggressive razors I could find it might well be my daily driver but recently that's not the direction I've been headed.  

AI did a three pass shave and a slight bit of touch up in one trouble spot.  The results were a perfect bbs shave so no complaints in that regard. 

I followed the shave with some Midnight & Two aftershave as it's great stuff and will help my face to recover quickly.   

The ultra slick soap and really great aftershave helped but it's not enough to offset this one for me.  I'll likely give it another shave and send it on it's way.  

I'm very familiar with the Cobra Classic so I'll leave that one in the box.  What it comes down to for me is that there are so many other razors in my shave den that I'd choose over this one.  The machining and build quality are outstanding so no complaints there.  This one just isn't a great match for me.

0 6
 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM
User Info
Shave 3

Razor: Asylum Rx
Blade: Feather Pro (3)
Brush: Rubberset 400 w/Declaration 24mm knot
Soap: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - testing a potential new formula
Aftershave: AOS Ocean Kelp balm

Again a three pass shave with a slight bit of touch up under the right jawline.  Result was a perfect bbs shave.  The shave was slightly uncomfortable but the results were great.  Again a very light touch and a close attention to the blade angle.  This razor requires a bit of attention and I suspect it'll bit me if it's disrespected.   

I was testing out a potential new soap formula for a vendor.  The soap is rather good with nice slickness and great after shave face feel.  I need to try it a few more times before I can give feedback but it's definitely an excellent soap and one I'm comfortable using with this razor.  It was quite slick and the blade glided nicely.  

At this point it's more of the same for me.  I've tried this razor with some of the most forgiving soaps I own and it's just not for me.  I know that the Feather Pro style blades are a bit sharper but I do own several other razors that use them and I have no trouble getting a comfortable shave from them.  

So for me I'm going to send this razor on to the next person instead of fighting with it.  It's just not comfortable enough for me to use regularly.  Is it worth the asking price?  To someone that likes a really aggressive razor I'd say it definitely is.  I like how the blade loads and the quality of the machining is very high.  I would like the option of a slightly longer handle with it if it were something I was going to purchase myself as I feel this handle is a little short for the wider head.  Still just a preference thing there.  

Overall I'm happy that I got to try it and appreciative of Michael's generosity in letting me do so.   Sometimes these passarounds are just as useful in letting you know what items you don't want as well as those that you do.  So the opportunity to give it a try without having to purchase one to do so is very helpful to me. 

I'll see if I can't get and address and get it in the mail soon in an effort to keep this moving.  

Thank you for the opportunity.  I sincerely appreciate it.

0 6