03-21-2017, 10:04 AM
User Info
Ok a couple more shaves in the books and I'm starting to like the razor a bit better.  

Shave 2

Razor: Asylum RX
Blade: Feather Pro (2)
Brush: Rubberset 400 with 24mm Declaration knot
Soap: L&L Spices
Aftershave: Midnight & Two The Cabin aftershave balm

The razor is getting a bit smoother as I'm getting more used to it.  It's likely still about the most aggressive razor in my shave den at the moment.  About on par or slightly more aggressive than the ATT H series razors that I have.  Definitely more aggressive than the ATT SE1 and King Cobra razors that use the same blade.  

I went with the L&L soap because I just got it and it's crazy slick so I figured that can't hurt.  The brush is excellent as well.  I'll reach for this brush, a Paladin or the Shavemac 2 band silvertip that I have set in a Wolf Whiskers handle most days as all are outstanding.  

The razor is a bit smoother today but there's no denying that this is an aggressive razor.  I'm doing a better job with the angle and using about as light of a touch as I can but I'm not really enjoying the shaves from it.  If this razor were put in my hands a couple years ago when I was into the most aggressive razors I could find it might well be my daily driver but recently that's not the direction I've been headed.  

AI did a three pass shave and a slight bit of touch up in one trouble spot.  The results were a perfect bbs shave so no complaints in that regard. 

I followed the shave with some Midnight & Two aftershave as it's great stuff and will help my face to recover quickly.   

The ultra slick soap and really great aftershave helped but it's not enough to offset this one for me.  I'll likely give it another shave and send it on it's way.  

I'm very familiar with the Cobra Classic so I'll leave that one in the box.  What it comes down to for me is that there are so many other razors in my shave den that I'd choose over this one.  The machining and build quality are outstanding so no complaints there.  This one just isn't a great match for me.

0 12
 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM
User Info
Shave 3

Razor: Asylum Rx
Blade: Feather Pro (3)
Brush: Rubberset 400 w/Declaration 24mm knot
Soap: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - testing a potential new formula
Aftershave: AOS Ocean Kelp balm

Again a three pass shave with a slight bit of touch up under the right jawline.  Result was a perfect bbs shave.  The shave was slightly uncomfortable but the results were great.  Again a very light touch and a close attention to the blade angle.  This razor requires a bit of attention and I suspect it'll bit me if it's disrespected.   

I was testing out a potential new soap formula for a vendor.  The soap is rather good with nice slickness and great after shave face feel.  I need to try it a few more times before I can give feedback but it's definitely an excellent soap and one I'm comfortable using with this razor.  It was quite slick and the blade glided nicely.  

At this point it's more of the same for me.  I've tried this razor with some of the most forgiving soaps I own and it's just not for me.  I know that the Feather Pro style blades are a bit sharper but I do own several other razors that use them and I have no trouble getting a comfortable shave from them.  

So for me I'm going to send this razor on to the next person instead of fighting with it.  It's just not comfortable enough for me to use regularly.  Is it worth the asking price?  To someone that likes a really aggressive razor I'd say it definitely is.  I like how the blade loads and the quality of the machining is very high.  I would like the option of a slightly longer handle with it if it were something I was going to purchase myself as I feel this handle is a little short for the wider head.  Still just a preference thing there.  

Overall I'm happy that I got to try it and appreciative of Michael's generosity in letting me do so.   Sometimes these passarounds are just as useful in letting you know what items you don't want as well as those that you do.  So the opportunity to give it a try without having to purchase one to do so is very helpful to me. 

I'll see if I can't get and address and get it in the mail soon in an effort to keep this moving.  

Thank you for the opportunity.  I sincerely appreciate it.

0 12
 03-27-2017, 09:43 AM
User Info
My apologies to all that are participating as I've been delayed in getting the razor to the post office.  It's on it's way there now so this passaround should start moving again soon.  

I'm really grateful to have the opportunity to try this razor as it's one that I was interested in when the plans were drawn up for it a long, long time ago.  It's a little too aggressive for what I prefer in a razor at this time but the build quality is exceptional.  A really, really nice razor that just doesn't work for me.  These passarounds are sometimes just as useful in determining what not to buy as well as what to buy.  After all we're not all going to like the same things.  

So thank you to Michael for allowing me to participate in this passaround and thank you to all of you that read my thoughts and shared your own.

0 12
 03-28-2017, 06:34 AM
User Info
The Asylum razor should arrive to the next participant on Wednesday 3/29/2017 (tomorrow).

0 12
 04-10-2017, 09:14 AM
User Info
Any word on who has the asylum rx and where the tour stands?  just curious, thanks, brian (kbh2o)

32 30
 04-10-2017, 11:22 AM
User Info
(04-10-2017, 09:14 AM)kbh2o Wrote: Any word on who has the asylum rx and where the tour stands?  just curious, thanks, brian (kbh2o)

I have reached out to Lenaud011 to see where things stand, but you are on deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 450
 04-13-2017, 09:15 AM
User Info
My apologies for the slight delay I will get this sent off asap thanks again poonjaji

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3 34
 04-21-2017, 11:56 AM
User Info
Any update

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

0 39
 04-23-2017, 12:55 PM
User Info
(04-21-2017, 11:56 AM)CzechCzar Wrote: Any update

I sent another inquiry to Lenaud01. I know he has the next member's address, so hopefully he is well and the tour will resume shortly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

59 450
 04-24-2017, 02:32 PM
User Info
The Rx is on the move and should reach the next member this week.

59 450
 04-24-2017, 02:46 PM
User Info
(04-24-2017, 02:32 PM)poonjaji Wrote: The Rx is on the move and should reach the next member this week.

Wonderful!

0 39
 04-27-2017, 07:21 AM
User Info
hello all shave nookers,  the rx and cobra has arrived safely in ohio.  i have used the rx today with really good results.  a few weepers but no blood shed.  the asylum rx is built like a tank and i really like the head the way it fits to hold the blade.  more reviews to come with the time i have with it.  i do not know if i will try the cobra classic, i had it before and i did not have good results with it. have a great day!  brian (kbh2o)

32 30
 05-02-2017, 07:39 AM
User Info
well my time with the rx is coming to an end.  i shaved with it 2 or 3 more times.  using the pro-guard blades i did get a decent shave and one or two tiny weepers, but nothing like when i used a few of the other artisan blades that ended up in a blood bath.  those other blades were used in the general and cobra classic.   my opinion and comments are mine and mine alone.  i really like the way the Rx is made and the fit and finish is just perfect for me.  i wish the handle was 0.5 inches or even 1 inch longer, but the handle with the head is a really good combination.  i did not particularly like the weight of the rx, especially the head, too heavy.  for me, if the rx was made of aluminum it would be better.  my problem with the rx and all other se razors that take the artisan blades is the 2 inch length.  i really wanted to love these type of se razors but unfortunately i do not!  i will admit while shaving with the rx i was pretty intimidated and at first quite scared.  i did shave with it very carefully and did not get the results especially bad results that would end up in a blood bath.  but i also did not get a close enough shave to last too long.  i want to thank michael (poonjaji) for letting me try the asylum rx.  like others have stated trying these expensive razors before having to buy them is really priceless and saves shave nook members tons of money.  i will get the asylum rx and cobra classic and all the blades boxed up and shipped to the next participant.  thanks again michael, every one have a great day!  brian (kbh2o)

32 30
 05-03-2017, 07:12 AM
User Info
i just wanted to let everyone know that the asylum rx and cobra classic with the blades are on there way east to the state of new york, eta is thursday or friday!  thanks to michael once more!  have a wonder day shave nookers.  brian (kbh2o)

32 30
 05-03-2017, 05:41 PM
User Info
I am the next participant
Will post when I receive  it..
Cool
Thank you Michael ..

18 218
 05-04-2017, 03:57 PM
User Info
I received the package today..
Will shave with one of the razors over the weekend. .and post

18 218
 05-12-2017, 04:17 PM
User Info
The kit has been shipped to the next member.
CDUDE62
Not much to report on my end..
Both razors were way  to aggressive for my taste.
Even with the variety of blades I still had weepers and irritation..
Michael, thanks once again for the opportunity to sample both razors and blades. 
Much appreciated!

18 218
 05-13-2017, 05:00 PM
User Info
The RX and Cobra have landed. Thank you,
First impressions to follow

17 176
 05-16-2017, 12:02 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience, Kevin, but I am sorry they caused you the weepers and irritation. I guess better to experience that with a loaner than a razor you purchased. No BST required.

Thanks for the update, Costas. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

59 450
 05-16-2017, 06:35 PM
User Info
First impressions.

I remember when this razor came out. I thought hmm, seems to me like a glorified King Cobra with a wider neck. I didnt particularly like the look much and thought the knurling seemed a bit low on the handle. I have a King Cobra so this wasnt a priority on my list. 

Hearing about the Tour piqued my interest so i signed up. What I unwrapped was a very well executed and thought out design. I was really impressed with how it all fits together. The weight is hefty but not over bearing. I still feel the knurling on the handle should come up another mm or so. I seem to find the most comfort high up in the neck. My  only gripe I wish it came in other finishes. Im not a huge fan of the matte or brushed finishes. Thats it for the aesthetic observations. 

On to the shave. Like all SE's you have to take into account the wider head design which can be a little tricky to navigate. The best thing about this razor is the curved in head it basicaly finds the proper angle for you. No messing around Just like the KC. I started with the mild blade using a Feather Pro guard. I remember really liking them for their smoothness. This did not dissapoint. First pass was very easy, no irritation just a nice smooth shave. Second, ATG again nice and smooth when I was done i might have gone over my chin area a bit more, so i did feel some "heat". no third pass neccassary. Just a DFS very nice ! Im going to try the Proguard a few more times and then go for the Feather Pros. This was a mild shave for me but i'm familliar with the Feather Pros. They tend to kick it up a notch so we'll see how that goes. All in all very pleased wih the first go around.

17 176