07-31-2017, 03:18 PM
User Info
(07-31-2017, 06:30 AM)guildx500 Wrote: The razors are on their way to Steelyedge. Should arrive today or tomorrow.

Package made it safely and secured. Shave to come soon.....
[Image: e7pEu5z.jpg]

1 89
 08-01-2017, 04:46 PM
User Info
Received both the Rocnel & Cobra Classic, Rx razors just a couple days apart. So have to jump back and fourth between both pass arounds. Don't want to keep them long and keep the tour moving. Up is the Cobra.

Showered, prepped and got ready for my go with the Cobra paired with a Kai ProTouch Pink blade as I've never used one before.

Pass 1 WTG, N-S= this was a very easy and smooth pass. The Kai blade was just super smooth and glided easily over my face. The Cobra felt well balanced and I actually raced around my face with it. The grip was excellent and was surprised at how quick and efficient the first pass was. Sweet!
Cold water rinse and relathered.....

Pass 2 ATG/XTG hybrid= this was just an excellent pass that mowed down everything left over from the first pass. Just so smooth and efficient, the razor and blade combo made short work of the remaining stubble. Did a semi 3rd pass/touch up just to clean and buff the chin area. Quick and easy. Awesome!

Cold water rinse and right into the alum. Nothing. I mean nothing. No feedback of any kind on the face or neck. I just cleaned up, rinsed my face and splashed my normal stuff without so much as an Oh! It was a fantastic BBS shave that left me speechless and faceturbating. Love it! Love
[Image: j8usTJk.jpg]

1 89
 08-05-2017, 04:54 AM
User Info
Morning shave #3 with the CobraClassic. pass, slight buffing on the chin and hasta luegobaby! As good as it gets. It has been a great razorSmooth, efficient and just a plain lookerHave a great day and shaves Gents.... Sisi

Razor: Cobra Classic
Blade: Feather Pro #8
Brush: Maggard 26mm Granite
Soap: SC Cedre Noire
Astringent: DG/Body
Toner: Manetti & Roberts
W/H: Humphreys Citrus
A/S Splash: RR Acqua
[Image: img_1083-jpg.15876]

1 89
 08-05-2017, 07:16 AM
User Info
Nice reviews. I think I am missing the efficiency of those razors.

8 1,061
 08-06-2017, 02:38 PM
User Info
Hi All - We ended up adding a few additional members to the tour, but I am going to close the list at this point. Once we reach the last participant, rabidus, I will still be PIFing the tour box.

As posted earlier, I would like to request tour participants that want to be included in the random drawing contact me directly. While once the razors are received the new owner can do with them what they please, my hope is that they will go to someone excited about actually shaving with them.

Thanks for the ongoing reviews and sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 484
 08-06-2017, 02:40 PM
User Info
(08-05-2017, 07:16 AM)lloydrm Wrote: Nice reviews. I think I am missing the efficiency of those razors.

They are both amazing razors. Efficient and in my opinion nothing shaves closer except for a straight razor. My PAA EVO DOC gives them a good run for the money, but I give the edge to the Rx & Cobra. Plus I get well over 12 hours worth of baby smooth skin longevity per shave. Fantastic razors!

1 89
 08-06-2017, 02:58 PM
User Info
(08-06-2017, 02:40 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote: They are both amazing razors. Efficient and in my opinion nothing shaves closer except for a straight razor. My PAA EVO DOC gives them a good run for the money, but I give the edge to the Rx & Cobra. Plus I get well over 12 hours worth of baby smooth skin longevity per shave. Fantastic razors!

I'm looking forward to trying these. A review compared the Asylum RX to the El Jefe. Have you used an El Jefe?

The El Jefe with a Schick Proline is excellent and gives me a 12 hour BBS shave.

0 21
 08-10-2017, 10:26 AM
User Info
(08-06-2017, 02:58 PM)rabidus Wrote:
(08-06-2017, 02:40 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote: They are both amazing razors. Efficient and in my opinion nothing shaves closer except for a straight razor. My PAA EVO DOC gives them a good run for the money, but I give the edge to the Rx & Cobra. Plus I get well over 12 hours worth of baby smooth skin longevity per shave. Fantastic razors!

I'm looking forward to trying these. A review compared the Asylum RX to the El Jefe. Have you used an El Jefe?

The El Jefe with a Schick Proline is excellent and gives me a 12 hour BBS shave.

I have used both, and if you like El Jefe I think you will really like the Rx.  Given the incredible engineering of the Rx there are none of the alignment issues some folks have experienced with El Jefe, but you get all of the magic of the Artist Club blades.  

And on a completely different topic: If you see this, Ankit, your inbox is full.   Blush

61 484
 08-10-2017, 02:14 PM
User Info
(08-10-2017, 10:26 AM)poonjaji Wrote:
(08-06-2017, 02:58 PM)rabidus Wrote:

I have used both, and if you like El Jefe I think you will really like the Rx.  Given the incredible engineering of the Rx there are none of the alignment issues some folks have experienced with El Jefe, but you get all of the magic of the Artist Club blades.  

And on a completely different topic: If you see this, Ankit, your inbox is full.   Blush

Haha sure Michael let me clean it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 198
 08-10-2017, 07:22 PM
User Info
(08-10-2017, 10:26 AM)poonjaji Wrote: I have used both, and if you like El Jefe I think you will really like the Rx.  Given the incredible engineering of the Rx there are none of the alignment issues some folks have experienced with El Jefe, but you get all of the magic of the Artist Club blades.  

Thanks for the comparison! I've heard the Asylum RX compared to the El Jefe and the MMOC, two of my favorites.

0 21
 08-14-2017, 09:16 AM
User Info
The Cobra Classic is my favorite razor ever. I tried it in one of Michael's pass arounds maybe four years ago and it was love at first shave. I bought one from Classic when the next batch was available. The Cobra classic is not perfect in its construction and plating so I've been hoping someone would come up with a better variation. I tried the King Cobra on one of Michael's pass arounds but I preferred the smaller and lighter Classic. I bought a batch 2 Mongoose when they were released. I've never liked that razor. Too heavy and bulky and milder than the CC.  I've been following the Rx since Phil first announced he was working on it. I was hoping it would be lighter and more nimble than the Mongoose. But I haven't been cofident enough to fork over the $ for one so I was really excited to try it on this tour. My thoughts:

The quality of the Rx Asylum is first rate. The razor is extremely well made and finished. It is beyond reproach in this area and I would expect this razor to outlive us all. I find the 3 piece design novel but not quite intuitive: I always seemed to need a couple of attempts to get the two head pieces fit together correctly. The blade tabs are nice and large so the blade is held securely. Overall the razor is a little heavy for my taste, and with supplied handle it was too top-heavy for me. I used it for one shave as supplied and then switched to my heavier Ikon handle. This balanced the razor more to my liking. I found it more nimble than the Mongoose but not as nimble as the Cobra. It felt like the blade gap was biggest on the Rx of the three and I was always conscious of the blade against my skin. Yet I could not get as close a shave as with the Cobra due to the size and weight of the Rx. This might improve with repetition. In the end the Cobra Classic is still my favorite in this class of razors. Here are the weights:

Cobra Classic, both tour razor and my example: 96 grams

Asylum RX: 109 grams, with the head weighing 51 grams

Mongoose batch 2, bomber handle: 137.5 grams, 50.5 head

It's interesting to me how much of a difference 10 grams makes in the shave experience. And as you can see the heads of the Asylum and Mongoose weigh roughly the same despite the less bulky appearance of the Rx. Fans of heavier razors will probably like the Rx which is a great razor just not for me. I think it is the best of three in quality and finish.

One small note is that I found that there was considerably more play in the latch mechanism in the tour Cobra than in my example. I didn't shave with it so I can't comment on whether that would have any effect on the shave.

Many thanks to Michael for another great pass around!

15 771
 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
User Info
Any updates?

0 21
 Yesterday, 06:56 AM
User Info
guildx500, have you tried the Colonial General?

2 1,390